Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sigurd Stenersen Sigurd Stenersen is offline

Default ADAT io - solutions ?

Given studio equipment that has two ADAT input ports and two ADAT output
ports - what are the options for connecting these ports to a PC ?

I just want Sonar 7/8 to be able to do audio i/o, no fancy features are
needed but any solution is better than none...

Sigurd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

One Digidesign ADAT Bridge?
That is 16 channels of ADAT I/O
AND you'll have to buy a Core card, but that's cheap these days.
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

Rme?
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9652.php
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message

Given studio equipment that has two ADAT input ports and
two ADAT output ports - what are the options for
connecting these ports to a PC ?

I just want Sonar 7/8 to be able to do audio i/o, no
fancy features are needed but any solution is better than
none...

The lowest-cost alternative may be the eMu 1212M PCI audio interface with
0202 daughter card.

The downsides are that they take 2 PCI slots, and you can only have one set
of them in a given PC. Thus you can only have support for only one ADAT
device. Not your application.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU1212M

The Marian Marc A also has one pair of ADAT I/O ports, but up to 4 can be
used in the same system:

http://www.floridamusicco.com/proddetail~prod~marca.htm

RME and MOTU have devices with up to 3 pairs of ADAT I/O.

The all-time champ might be this device with 4 pairs of ADAT ports:

http://www.binarydesigns.com.au/bdstore/ESIMAXIO32.html

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
Given studio equipment that has two ADAT input ports and two ADAT output
ports - what are the options for connecting these ports to a PC ?

Both Presonus and M-Audio make a Firewire interface that has four sets
of ADAT ports. You might want to look into those.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sigurd Stenersen Sigurd Stenersen is offline

"Sigurd Stenersen" skrev
Given studio equipment that has two ADAT input ports and two ADAT output
ports - what are the options for connecting these ports to a PC ?

I just want Sonar 7/8 to be able to do audio i/o, no fancy features are
needed but any solution is better than none...

Based on the responses there are several options that fall into two
categories - PCI card with or without an external unit, or external units
communicating with the PC through a Firewire connection.

Some PCI solutions are :
Digidesign ADAT Bridge
Frontier Dakota - http://frontierdesign.com/Products/Dakota
RME Hammerfall DSP9652 -
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9652.php
eMu 1212M with 0202 daughter card -
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU1212M
Marian Marc A - http://www.floridamusicco.com/proddetail~prod~marca.htm
ESI MaXiO 32 - http://www.binarydesigns.com.au/bdstore/ESIMAXIO32.html
There is also the RME Raydat

Some Firewire solutions are :
M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge -
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ghtbridge.html
PreSonus FireStudio Lightpipe -
http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...x?ProductId=54
M-Audio and Presonus also have other Firewire units
MOTU and RME have a few as well.

I own a RME Hammerfall DIGI9652 that has served me well for a long time, but
it doesn't work at all in my new computer (Acer with Intel quad-core). I
have also tried the new RME Raydat in this computer, it doesn't work and the
RME forum offers no help.

This leads me to believe that Firewire is more portable (and may even work
on a laptop) so I have settled for the PreSonus FireStudio Lightpipe. Not
the cheapest ADAT interface you could find, but at ~$650 it's a bargain if
you value your time. It looks good, too... ;o)

Thank you all for responding - several of these solutions were unknown to me
until I asked here, including the one I decided to buy.

Sigurd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sigurd Stenersen Sigurd Stenersen is offline

"Sigurd Stenersen" skrev
This leads me to believe that Firewire is more portable (and may even work
on a laptop) so I have settled for the PreSonus FireStudio Lightpipe. Not
the cheapest ADAT interface you could find, but at ~$650 it's a bargain if
you value your time. It looks good, too... ;o)

I hooked it up last week, and after upgrading the firmware with the easy to
use software from the PreSonus website it works without any problems
whatsoever. On Vista, too !

For the time being, they even throw in a FaderPort (USB DAW controller) for
free - I got mine in the mail today.

Sigurd