Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsac@dslextreme.com is offline

Default Tascam DP-02

I am new to this group and pretty new to home recording. I have a
Tascam DP-02 and the signal strength of the Vocals is very week.
Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline

wrote in message
I am new to this group and pretty new to home recording. I have a
Tascam DP-02 and the signal strength of the Vocals is very week.
Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks!

Sing louder.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tony Risotto Tony Risotto is offline

wrote in message
I am new to this group and pretty new to home recording. I have a
Tascam DP-02 and the signal strength of the Vocals is very week.
Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks!

Hi, dkinsac--

The group "alt.music.home-studio" might be a better place for your query,
BUT--

What microphone are you using? Are you using a pre-amp? Have you turned up
the gain on your Tascam?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsac@dslextreme.com is offline

I'm using Shure mikes, and using the built in Phantom power. No pre-
amp. After laying down guitar and bass tracks, I just can't get a good
level on vocals. But, I am new to this and always learning . . .

Hi, dkinsac--

The group "alt.music.home-studio" might be a better place for your query,
BUT--

What microphone are you using? Are you using a pre-amp? Have you turned up
the gain on your Tascam?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
I am new to this group and pretty new to home recording. I have a
Tascam DP-02 and the signal strength of the Vocals is very week.

Does that imply that the signal strength of other things (instruments?)
is NOT "very weak". Are you recording anything that is not "very
weak"? How are you doing that? How is it different from recording
vocals?

You gave us almost nothing to work with in terms of details about
what you are using for microphones, how you are using them.
Whether it never worked or this is a new problem? If you are
having a problem recording *everything* or just vocals? We know
nothing about your situation except what you wrote, and we can't
read your mind at this distance.

Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks!

There could be a hundred different things that could be the cause
of your symptoms. But it wouldn't be useful to you (or to us) to play
a game of 20 questions before we can answer you. Please provide
significantly more details around your question.

Your question may very well be answered in the FAQ for this group...
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/AudioFAQ/pro-audio-faq/

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
I'm using Shure mikes,

Shure makes about 100 different microphones.
You need to provide significantly more detail if you want
any useful answers here. Model numbers. What kind of
vocal. How far away is the microphone. What settings you
are using on the mixer/recorder, etc. etc. etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

wrote in message
I am new to this group and pretty new to home recording. I have a
Tascam DP-02 and the signal strength of the Vocals is very week.
Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks!

what mic are you using and where is it plugged in(xlr or 1/4 in)

george

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

Tony Risotto wrote:
dkinsac wrote:

I am new to this group and pretty new to home recording. I have a
Tascam DP-02 and the signal strength of the Vocals is very week.
Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks!

Hi, dkinsac--

The group "alt.music.home-studio" might be a better place for your
query, BUT--

he already posted there, too. Of course not as a cross-post, so folks in 2
groups are answering...

There, I already suggested him to read the manual for his recorder (an
all-in-one multi-tracker, which can burn to cd).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsac@dslextreme.com is offline

Hey! Give me a break, like I said, I'm new to home recording and to
this blog.
In regards to signal strength, no problem with guitar, bass or drum
machine.
I'm going right in to the board with the mike, . . . no difference
from using a
piece of crap $15.00 mike or 2 different shure mikes. Just wondering,
anybody
replying to this have a Tascam DP-02? Thanks for all your help people.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
Hey! Give me a break, like I said, I'm new to home recording and to
this blog.
In regards to signal strength, no problem with guitar, bass or drum
machine.
I'm going right in to the board with the mike, . . . no difference
from using a
piece of crap $15.00 mike or 2 different shure mikes. Just wondering,
anybody
replying to this have a Tascam DP-02? Thanks for all your help people.

if you are useing a lo-z mic on a hi- z input the problem you describe would
appear
mics have specific qualities that reqire specific needs in regards to where
they are plugged in
if your not willing to share there is nothing we can do to help
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Hey! Give me a break, like I said, I'm new to home recording and to
this blog.

This is NOT a blog. This is a Usenet newsgroup. It is NOT a web forum
although you may be using a Web interface to it.

In regards to signal strength, no problem with guitar, bass or drum
machine.
I'm going right in to the board with the mike, . . . no difference
from using a
piece of crap $15.00 mike or 2 different shure mikes. Just wondering,
anybody
replying to this have a Tascam DP-02? Thanks for all your help people.

I doubt anyone here would, although someone in the 4-track newsgroup
might. I'm surprised, though, that you would run out of gain and that
changing the microphone didn't at least make some kind of difference.

What are the inputs on the DP-02? Are they regular XLR connectors or
unbalanced 1/4" inputs?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
Hey! Give me a break, like I said, I'm new to home recording and to
this blog.

What model microphone is it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Hey! Give me a break, like I said, I'm new to home recording and to
this blog.

This is NOT a blog. This is a Usenet newsgroup. It is NOT a web forum
although you may be using a Web interface to it.

In regards to signal strength, no problem with guitar, bass or drum
machine.
I'm going right in to the board with the mike, . . . no difference
from using a
piece of crap $15.00 mike or 2 different shure mikes. Just wondering,
anybody
replying to this have a Tascam DP-02? Thanks for all your help people.

I doubt anyone here would,

I owned a dp-01fxcd for about two weeks(I got rid of it as it was much to
complicated for simple "notebook" dutries for my songs)
I doubt the input inerface is any diffrent on the dp-02
I had lo-z xlr with phantom power and 1/4 line that I never used so I amnot
aware if they are simple hi-z(as I would expect) or a dual z type input
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
Hey! Give me a break, like I said, I'm new to home recording

Not clear how being "new to home recording" is preventing you
from giving us some details and answering our questions? If you
don't really care, how do you expect us to?

and to this blog.

This is not a "blog". This is not even "Gooooooooogle Groups"
This is a Usenet newsgroup that has been around for ~20 years.

In regards to signal strength, no problem with guitar, bass or drum
machine.

So are you saying that all your other sources are connected directly
from the (non-microphone sources) into the "board"? You are trying
to say that the only thing you use a microphone for is the vocal? So
the problem isn't particularly with *vocals*, but with anything you
are trying to use with a microphone?

I'm going right in to the board

What does "right into the board" mean? What kind of connector
does the (mystery) microphone have? What is its rated impedance?
(It should say something on the mic, or if you revealed the make and
model we could look it up for you).

What kind of cable are you using? What kind of connectors?

Where "right into the board" are you plugging the mic cable?
What kind of connector is it? What is the input named? The
name should be written right next to the connector.

with the mike, . . . no difference from using a piece of
crap $15.00 mike or 2 different shure mikes.

If you refuse to tell us what these microphones are, you probably
should look for help elsewhere, like someplace where they can
read minds as well as offer up audio advice.

Just wondering, anybody replying to this have a Tascam DP-02?

Probably not, unless you can find a forum specifically for that
equipment. OTOH, you are probably asking the wrong question.

You issue probably does NOT have anything specifically to do
with your Tascam DP-02. It is probably a more generic problem
that we could easily help you solve if we had some pertinent
details.

Thanks for all your help people.

We really would like to help you, but we can't play 20 questions
and drag the facts out of you if you. Many of the people who
could really help you have already lost interest in your case
because you seem incapable of sustaining a significant discussion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tony Risotto" wrote ...
wrote ...
Hey! Give me a break, like I said, I'm new to home recording and to
this blog.

What model microphone is it?

He cannot or will not tell us after repeated questioning.

This may be a troll and not even a serious user.
I'm going to give him one more chance and then
just banish him to my twit-list.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"George's Pro Sound Company" wrote ...
I owned a dp-01fxcd for about two weeks(I got rid of it as it was much to
complicated for simple "notebook" dutries for my songs)
I doubt the input inerface is any diffrent on the dp-02
I had lo-z xlr with phantom power and 1/4 line that I never used so I
amnot aware if they are simple hi-z(as I would expect) or a dual z type
input

The DP-02 appears to have two XLR mic inputs.
But of course there are lots of switches and controls which
must be set properly to get the mic inputs to work with the
OP's (unidentified) microphone. But the OP doesn't seem
to think any of that is important, so he likely won't get much
help at that rate.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsac@dslextreme.com is offline

Okay, here it is! A Shure PG48 and an Audio Technics 4500. I really
don't know if it's a mike issue or a DP-02 issue. I am using an xlr
cable. Miking only vocals. I don't mike my guitar or bass. I use the
built-in multi effects proccesor and can get whatever level I want. Is
there any other flaws with my line of questioning?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message
Okay, here it is! A Shure PG48 and an Audio Technics 4500. I really
don't know if it's a mike issue or a DP-02 issue. I am using an xlr
cable. Miking only vocals. I don't mike my guitar or bass. I use the
built-in multi effects proccesor and can get whatever level I want. Is
there any other flaws with my line of questioning?

the pg48 is directly compatible with the xlr inputs on the dp-02

page 20 of your manual indicates a MIC/LINE switch on the A input, if your
useing the xlr in for themic be sure this switch is in the MIC position

I could not find a Auio Technica 4500 are you sure it's a 4500 and not a
5400 or 4050
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
Okay, here it is! A Shure PG48 and an Audio Technics 4500. I really
don't know if it's a mike issue or a DP-02 issue. I am using an xlr
cable.

One version of the PG48 appears to come with a cable that is
XLR on the mic end and 1/4 inch phone on the other end.

1. Are you using a cable with XLR on BOTH ends?
2. Are you plugging it into the XLR mic input on the DP-02?
3. Have you tried both mic inputs on the DP-02?
4. Do you know what all the switches and knobs do
on the mic inputs? Are they set appropriately?
5. Do you have the manual for the DP02?
6. Have you read it?
7. Have you set it up the way it recommends?
8. Is there anything in the manual you didn't understand?

Miking only vocals. I don't mike my guitar or bass. I use the
built-in multi effects proccesor and can get whatever level I want. Is
there any other flaws with my line of questioning?

Dunno what the mic level problem has anything to do with your
multi effects processor?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsac@dslextreme.com is offline

1. Are you using a cable with XLR on BOTH ends?
2. Are you plugging it into the XLR mic input on the DP-02?
3. Have you tried both mic inputs on the DP-02?
4. Do you know what all the switches and knobs do
on the mic inputs? *Are they set appropriately?
5. Do you have the manual for the DP02?
6. Have you read it?
7. Have you set it up the way it recommends?
8. Is there anything in the manual you didn't understand?

Miking only vocals. I don't mike my guitar or bass. I use the
built-in multi effects proccesor and can get whatever level I want. Is
there any other flaws with my line of questioning?

Dunno what the mic level problem has anything to do with your
multi effects processor?

1. XLR on Both
2. Yes, only choice unless using 1/4"
3. A vs. B, no I haven't, good call
4. No, I am a guitar player, just trying to lay down vocal ideas
5. Yes, I do
6. I have read it, for what that's worth. I also bought an
instructional DVD for the DP-02
7. I think so, but I, who knew not what I knew not now know not what I
know not
8. It's kind of like, I played around with it enough to get a good
idea, but there is still lot's of gray areas.
Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message

[...]

the 02 is a veryypowerful but complicated device I would recommed something
simplier for someonenot committed to really learning multi track recording
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

wrote:

I'm going right in to the board with the mike, . . . no difference
from using a
piece of crap $15.00 mike or 2 different shure mikes.

OK, I saw your other post about the mics. They should be OK, but you
need to use them properly. The DP-02 doesn't have a lot in the way of
metering, but use what you have. Get the display of input level on the
screen and adjust the GAIN control for the input channel that you're
using so that it goes up pretty close to full scale on the loudest
parts. It's OK if you have to turn it up all the way, but if that's
necessary to get full level, then get closer to the mic. If you can't
get a good input level, then you won't have a very high playback level.

Also, what's making you think the vocal sounds weak? Maybe you're a weak
singer or you're singing weakly? Maybe you're simply not bringing it up
high enough in the mix. Perhaps you need to turn down the instruments so
they won't cover up the voice.

Vocals are pretty hard to record, particularly, your own, particularly
when you're also doing the engineering, and doubly particularly
difficult when you're a beginner.

Try recording just your voice (without instruments) and get some
practice at that, both recording and singing. Then try adding your voice
to some instrumental tracks.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Okay, here it is! A Shure PG48 and an Audio Technics 4500. I really
don't know if it's a mike issue or a DP-02 issue. I am using an xlr
cable. Miking only vocals. I don't mike my guitar or bass. I use the
built-in multi effects proccesor and can get whatever level I want. Is
there any other flaws with my line of questioning?

Okay, just a second here. You say you can "get whatever level you want."

Now, before we have been interpreting your original question as asking
why you cannot get enough level on the vocal mike. Is this not the issue?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 10, 7:03*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Okay, here it is! A Shure PG48 and an Audio Technics 4500. I really
don't know if it's a mike issue or a DP-02 issue. I am using an xlr
cable. Miking only vocals. I don't mike my guitar or bass. I use the
built-in multi effects proccesor and can get whatever level I want. Is
there any other flaws with my line of questioning?

Okay, just a second here. *You say you can "get whatever level you want.."

Now, before we have been interpreting your original question as asking
why you cannot get enough level on the vocal mike. *Is this not the issue?
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

I can get good levels on any instrument. Than I do a vocal track and
it's way low! I have to back way off on my other tracks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsac@dslextreme.com is offline

On Dec 10, 7:17*am, Tom Jancauskas wrote:
in article
,
at wrote on 12/8/08 8:27 PM:

I am new to this group and pretty new to home recording. I have a
Tascam DP-02 and the signal strength of the Vocals is very week.
Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks!

From what I have seen in the lower end Tascam products like this, they skimp
on the amount of available gain from the mic pres. About 40-45db or so.

From what I recall the PG48 isn't exactly a "hot" mic.

Maybe that's it?

--
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia

Yes, you are right. The PG48 isn't a high-end mike.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
On Dec 10, 7:17 am, Tom Jancauskas wrote:
From what I recall the PG48 isn't exactly a "hot" mic.
Maybe that's it?

Yes, you are right. The PG48 isn't a high-end mike.

That is not what "hot" means.
In this context, "hot" means high-output signal, regardless
of what the microphone costs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I can get good levels on any instrument. Than I do a vocal track and
it's way low! I have to back way off on my other tracks.

Okay, but when you record the vocal track, are the meters in the right
range?

If the meters are reading in the right range, and you just have to back
off on everything else in the mix, that's fine. That's just part of
the whole mixing process. If the meters _aren't_ reading in the right
range when you're tracking, and you turn all the gains up and the meters
still don't read right, we need to figure out why.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
wrote ...
On Dec 10, 7:17 am, Tom Jancauskas wrote:
From what I recall the PG48 isn't exactly a "hot" mic.
Maybe that's it?

Yes, you are right. The PG48 isn't a high-end mike.

That is not what "hot" means.
In this context, "hot" means high-output signal, regardless
of what the microphone costs.

the pg is not out of line for the mics the 02 would be used with
I seriously doubt output of the pg48 is the reason for the low level
George

How to use Tascam 414? [email protected] Pro Audio 6 September 14th 07 07:00 PM
Tascam X-48 Chris Whealy Pro Audio 3 May 22nd 06 02:21 PM
F/A: Ebay. Tascam 80-8, Tascam 1516 16 channel mixer, some mics and stuff. CHEAP. [email protected] Pro Audio 3 February 10th 06 01:45 AM
Tascam DM24 or Tascam MX2424 - are the the same converters in both of these? Bill Lorentzen Pro Audio 24 March 7th 04 07:15 AM
FS: Tascam DM-24 Phil C. Pro Audio 0 October 22nd 03 07:39 PM