Posted to rec.audio.pro
haligonab haligonab is offline

Default FMR PCB-6A

http://mercenary.com/fmrpbc.html

Following a link from a previous thread, I ran across this. I see no
mention of this unit on the FMR website. Mercenary Audio has some
sample tracks posted on this link and they sound pretty nice. Have any
of you had the privilege of auditioning this new toy? Or should we
just wait until the release datefor your comments?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
genericaudioperson genericaudioperson is offline

That's a good discovery. I didn't know FMR had a new product
appearing. Mark McQuilkin is a very smart guy, and has unusual
approaches to things. I'm leary of a "drive" stage that is not a
tube, but this guy is really smart. I'm curious how he is going to
build a solid state drive circuit that sounds good.

Of course the Empirical Labs Distressor comes to mind as a pro-quality
solid state drive device. But it's a small amount of top-flight
"drive" products that are solid-state. If anyone can figure out how
to make solid-state drive sound good, it's Mr. McQuilken.

I'm having fun watch Mark build his company product line. I thought
he was just going to build the RNC compressor as a one-off project for
fun. But these boxes are starting to grow like those fuzzy things on
the star trek episode (quibbles or something like that?).

I don't think he's put out a lame product yet, has he?

So he's up to about 4 different boxes. I can't even imagine what the
7th one would be. Or the 5th for that matter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

genericaudioperson wrote:

I'm leary of a "drive" stage that is not a
tube

But it's a small amount of top-flight
"drive" products that are solid-state

If anyone can figure out how
to make solid-state drive sound good

What is "drive"?

(Note to self: it is possible to OD on guitar magazines.)

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtougas[_3_] jtougas[_3_] is offline

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 21:26:11 -0500, haligonab
trained 100 monkeys to jump on the keyboard
and write:

http://mercenary.com/fmrpbc.html

PBC? Pretty Bitchin' Compressor?
--
jtougas

"listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go" - e.e. cummings
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline

What is "drive"?

(Note to self: it is possible to OD on guitar magazines.)

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

why didn't they call it retreat instead of release?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Perry wrote:

What is "drive"?

(Note to self: it is possible to OD on guitar magazines.)

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

why didn't they call it retreat instead of release?

guess it depends on how the cable cars are configured.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
genericaudioperson genericaudioperson is offline

I interpret "drive" to be preamp saturation in a (preferably tube)
guitar amp head. It's not giving you all your distortion, and the art
is blending the right amount of preamp distortion with power amp
distortion (in my world anyway). I guess "drive" is a rather non-
standard term, and I might be using it in a non-standard way.

It seems like the FMR box isn't trying to fully mash the signal. More
like give it some bite, where the average listener wouldn't spot it,
but would say those drums sound "aggressive", or "listen to the bite
on that snare!". Kind of like an effect that is supposed to be
sneaked in on the unsuspecting listener, rather than a completely
obvious effect that is meant to be so (like a techno synth filter
sweep on a dance track voice).

I interpret these boxes as taking the front-half of the preamp-
poweramp guitar amp distortion equation, and leaving the second half
off. I can't give you a technical justification for what I'm talking
about. When I Iistened to the sample files, this is how the effect of
the device appeared to me.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:56:03 -0800 (PST), genericaudioperson
wrote:

I interpret "drive" to be preamp saturation in a (preferably tube)
guitar amp head. snip

Here, drink this Kool-Aid. It's got vacuum tubes in it.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Tim Perry wrote:

What is "drive"?

(Note to self: it is possible to OD on guitar magazines.)

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

why didn't they call it retreat instead of release?

guess it depends on how the cable cars are configured.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

a golfer, a quarterback, and a cabbie were going out for a drive. Suddenly
once asks: What is the stage just before a final power amplifier called?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Perry wrote:

What is "drive"?

(Note to self: it is possible to OD on guitar magazines.)

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

why didn't they call it retreat instead of release?

guess it depends on how the cable cars are configured.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar

a golfer, a quarterback, and a cabbie were going out for a drive. Suddenly
once asks: What is the stage just before a final power amplifier called?

i think the FTC needs to get behind this spec.

or budget rent-a-car: "got drive??"

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar