Masterson

Default Rumors

Anyone else heard that Alpine Pioneer Panasonic and
AudioVox lost the subsidy from XM to build tuners cheaply?

Heard that the four companies are going to stop supporting
XM. That Panasonic already has stopped making tuners and
that Alpine will by the end of the month.

Heard that XM is going to start building their own equipment
and doesnt want anyone else to make it for them.

anyone?

mayhemkrew

I think it's kinda BS because why would Pioneer (or any manufacturer) stop
completely making something that can make them money? Now XM would have to
make radio's too for the people that want the dedicated link. This would be
a large investment if they were to do that, and I don't thihnk they are in
that stable of a position to do so. I still think they need the vendors
support on this one.

"Masterson" wrote in message
Anyone else heard that Alpine Pioneer Panasonic and
AudioVox lost the subsidy from XM to build tuners cheaply?

Heard that the four companies are going to stop supporting
XM. That Panasonic already has stopped making tuners and
that Alpine will by the end of the month.

Heard that XM is going to start building their own equipment
and doesnt want anyone else to make it for them.

anyone?

Sanitarium

I agree... I hope its not true. IMHO the best way to break out a new
technology is to make it widely available for cheap. Customers will
flock to it because its affordable and eventually after years of use (if
its a reliable/quality product) they will develop a "must have"
mentality for it.

Now, perhaps XM has planned for this and will team with a bulk
manufacturer in Singapore to crank out the units for the same price as
alpine and the others. Hopefully this is the case.

just my thoughts,
Garrett

"Masterson" wrote in message
Anyone else heard that Alpine Pioneer Panasonic and
AudioVox lost the subsidy from XM to build tuners cheaply?

Heard that the four companies are going to stop supporting
XM. That Panasonic already has stopped making tuners and
that Alpine will by the end of the month.

Heard that XM is going to start building their own equipment
and doesnt want anyone else to make it for them.

anyone?

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

I think it's kinda BS because why would Pioneer (or any manufacturer) stop
completely making something that can make them money?

You and sanitorium didn't read the 1st post.

XM has subsidized the production cost of these units - they made it cheaper for
the manufacturers by absorbing some of the cost of production, resulting in a
more attractively priced unit at retail.

He point is that the rumor says
the subsidy will stop.

He didn't say Pioner et al
arbitrarily decided to stop making the units w/o cause
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

I stand corrected...