Christopher Glaeser

Default XM antenna gain

Do all XM antennas provide more or less the same gain? I moved my Sirius
antenna to the top of the vehicle and I'm still experiencing occasional
dropout. I am using an Audiovox system and live in the east bay CA if that
matters.

Best,
Christopher

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Christopher Glaeser" wrote:

Do all XM antennas provide more or less the same gain? I moved my Sirius
antenna to the top of the vehicle and I'm still experiencing occasional
dropout. I am using an Audiovox system and live in the east bay CA if that
matters.

Best,
Christopher

It's probably urban RF noise and signal reflections off buildings. I'm
in San Jose CA and even short range spread-spectrum is getting bad.
There's WiFi, cell phones, radar, UHF TV, 2-way radio, cordless phones,
remote data collectors, wireless cameras, baby monitors, GHz computers,
and leaky microwave ovens. Throw in a few tall buildings to act as RF
mirrors and you've got quite a stew of high frequency RF noise.

Check the reception when you're in a valley and away from big cities.
If it works there, the antenna is good. If it doesn't, get a new one.
A different receiver might be more immune to urban signal problems.

Christopher Glaeser

Why do you refer to your satellite radio antenna as an xm one when you say
you have sirius? Just wondering. Cause they are two different things.

I had assumed that XM was a generic term for XM Radio and Sirius.

Best,
Christopher

HDTV Receiver/Tuner + Antenna + Signal Booster moz General 0 March 26th 04 07:02 PM
Hi Gain Microphones Paul General 10 October 9th 03 12:51 AM
Indoor FM antenna UnionPac2001 General 2 August 19th 03 04:15 AM
Replay Gain? John Hong General 3 August 12th 03 11:53 PM
Boxster XM antenna location Christopher Glaeser Car Audio 4 July 28th 03 08:42 PM