Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Paul L

Default Is digital coaxial cable the same as standard video RCA cable?

Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it
into the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I
get very good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just another
fancy name for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial
cable really improve the sound over and RCA cable?
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Richard Crowley

"Paul L" wrote ...
Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it
into the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I
get very good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just
another fancy name for RCA?

For all practical purposes, Yes.

Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial cable really improve
the sound over and RCA cable?

Only if you are a true believer and have money to burn.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mc

"Paul L" wrote in message
. net...
Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it into
the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I get very
good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just another fancy name
for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial cable really
improve the sound over and RCA cable?

They may differ when a really long cable is needed, but if it seems to be
working correctly, I think you can assume that it *is* working correctly.

If anything, the video cable may have more bandwidth than the cable
recommended for digital; I don't know.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

Paul L wrote:

Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it
into the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I
get very good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just another
fancy name for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial
cable really improve the sound over and RCA cable?

No.

Unless you're into audio voodoo ! In which case all bets are off.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Paul L said:

Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it
into the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I
get very good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just another
fancy name for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial
cable really improve the sound over and RCA cable?

If you can't hear the difference, don't pay the extra money for the more
expensive version. (That was originally in a fortune cookie, but it's
relevant here.)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:34:57 GMT, Paul L wrote:

Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it
into the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I
get very good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just another
fancy name for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial
cable really improve the sound over and RCA cable?

For long runs it can be worth using cable with optimal impedance. For
a short run, you'd probably get a good signal down a bit of wet
string. Save your money. If you want expensive cable to sound
better you have to believe. It's an expensive religion :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
AZ Nomad

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:34:57 GMT, Paul L wrote:

Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it
into the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I
get very good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just another
fancy name for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial
cable really improve the sound over and RCA cable?

It's is close enough that it doesn't matter. If you're going to run
more than a few hundred feet of digital coax, then you might care about
the impedance. Otherwise, any RCA cable that isn't broken will work
perfectly.

The more expensive digital audio coax cables are a hoax.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mick

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:34:57 +0000, Paul L burbled:

Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it into
the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I get very
good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just another fancy name
for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial cable really
improve the sound over and RCA cable?

Of course. It has to be well soaked in snake oil and then carefully
aligned north-south for at least six months while it matures though.

In other words, not in the slightest. :-)

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Jeff Findley

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Paul L" wrote in message
. net...
Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable and plugged it

into
the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD player and Yamaha reciever. I get

very
good audio from the connection. Is digital coaxial just another fancy

name
for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio coaxial cable really
improve the sound over and RCA cable?

No.

I've personally used composite video cables for digital coax cable. Who
doesn't have a junk drawer full of obsolete composite video cables? ;-)

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jeff Findley" wrote in
message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Paul L" wrote in message
. net...
Just for curiosity, I used a standard RCA video cable
and plugged it into the digial coaxial jacks of my DVD
player and Yamaha reciever. I get very good audio from
the connection. Is digital coaxial just another fancy
name for RCA? Does using a more expensive digital audio
coaxial cable really improve the sound over and RCA
cable?

No.

I've personally used composite video cables for digital
coax cable. Who doesn't have a junk drawer full of
obsolete composite video cables? ;-)

Composite cables are usually copper core which is a good thing.

OTOH as many of us have discovered, cable TV and antenna cable tend to be
copper clad steel or the like, and aren't the best for long digital runs.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

Jeff Findley wrote:

I've personally used composite video cables for digital coax cable. Who
doesn't have a junk drawer full of obsolete composite video cables? ;-)

Good we kept them all, too! 8) I cleaned-out my "spare cable" box a
few months ago... Amazing how those video cables, both composite and
SVGA, build up over years...