Default Mini-jacks vs 1/4 mic jacks on M-Audio Revolution card - lose quality?

Hi,

I have heard great things about the M-audio revolution sound card -
under 100.00 usd - but it doesn't have a live drive like my soundblaster
does...with a 1/4 inch mic in... the m-audio onlyhas a mini-jack for the
mic in.

Does it matter much? 1/4 jack vs. mini jack?
DaveG

wrote in message
Hi,

I have heard great things about the M-audio revolution sound card -
under 100.00 usd - but it doesn't have a live drive like my

soundblaster
does...with a 1/4 inch mic in... the m-audio onlyhas a mini-jack for

the
mic in.

Does it matter much? 1/4 jack vs. mini jack?

Not much no,get a reducer adapter.
Better still if you want something better buy another soundcard this
one is more multi media than DAW.
You choice,your apps ;-)

dg.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message

I have heard great things about the M-audio revolution sound card -
under 100.00 usd - but it doesn't have a live drive like my
SoundBlaster does...with a 1/4 inch mic in... the m-audio only has a
mini-jack for the mic in.

The mic inputs on consumer sound cards are generally pretty abysmal, no
matter what kind of input jack is used. Many of them are mono!

Does it matter much? 1/4 jack vs. mini jack?

The most obvious difference between otherwise comparable 1/4" jacks versus
minijacks relates to durability and reliability.

If a minijack is not broken and actually makes good contact, it passes small
electrical currents (i.e., line level audio) about as well as anything. But
I qualified this statement with two BIG ifs.

I consider the SoundBlaster "Live Drive" to be mostly cosmetic. I actually
bought one once, and ever since I've bought the OEM or MP3 versions of the
same cards.

As far as the M-Audio Revolution goes, I see it as primarily a playback
card. Last time I tested one, the line inputs were hyper-sensitive, and
could probably even pass for modest mic inputs. I could get a pretty clean
recording, but the input level control had to be turned down a ludicrous
amount, like the last notch before nothing. Anybody know if they fixed this
with later drivers?

want_the_music_but@need_help.com

Default Mini-jacks vs 1/4 To Amy/Brian - Outboard preamp makes livedrive/jacks meaningless?

Hi Amy and Brian,

Between the two of you, I got that the Mic jack is irrelevant if using
an outboard preamp - so i will pick one of those up...

I also have a smoke-test machine, using a live drive...

But what I am hearing from Amy is that the LiveDrive serves no real
function, save for cosmetic. I take this to mean one can use the inputs
on the card itself...most cards...and one will get a quality level at
least as good if not better than the LiveDrive, even if using a 1/4 to
mini mic adaptor.

Well...that makes sense...especially if one is using an outboard preamp
- but doesn't the outboard preamp just plug into the Mic-in or Line-in
on the card anyway...bringing all the quality of the preamp down to the
connector on the card...the weakest link kind of principle?

So now the only issue left how to get Midi into the card, without a
LiveDrive - which has two Midi ports built onto it?

Can the Mic preamp go into the Mic in on an M-Audio Revolution, and
Midi, from some kind of socket adaptor, or, an outboard adaptor board,
either plugging into the Line in on the sound card?

Or is that silly...to think of getting Midi into a Revolution
card...because the card must have a Midi processing chip onboard? And
is it double silly to monkey around with a Revolution when for 55.00
more one can get an Audiophile 24/96?

In which case, I am back to the AudioPhile.

In article ,
says...
wrote in message

[...]

Arny Krueger

wrote in message

Hi Amy and Brian,

Between the two of you, I got that the Mic jack is irrelevant if using
an outboard preamp - so i will pick one of those up...

I also have a smoke-test machine, using a live drive...

But what I am hearing from Amy is that the LiveDrive serves no real
function, save for cosmetic. I take this to mean one can use the
inputs on the card itself...most cards...and one will get a quality
level at least as good if not better than the LiveDrive, even if
using a 1/4 to mini mic adaptor.

The preferred way to interface with mini jacks is to use a cable that has a
mini plug on it. You want to avoid plugging anything big, stiff, long or
heavy into a minijack.

Well...that makes sense...especially if one is using an outboard
preamp

- but doesn't the outboard preamp just plug into the Mic-in or Line-in
on the card anyway...bringing all the quality of the preamp down to
the connector on the card...the weakest link kind of principle?

An external preamp would plug into the line input minijack of a consumer
audio card, which isn't that much of a detriment to sound quality under
ideal circumstances.

So now the only issue left how to get Midi into the card, without a
LiveDrive - which has two Midi ports built onto it?

These cards typically have 15 pin MIDI/joystick jacks on them. Appropriate
adaptors can be found. Here is an example:

http://www.midi-classics.com/c/c26527.htm

Can the Mic preamp go into the Mic in on an M-Audio Revolution, and
Midi, from some kind of socket adaptor, or, an outboard adaptor board,
either plugging into the Line in on the sound card?

External mic preamps plug into the line input of a consumer sound card.

Or is that silly...to think of getting Midi into a Revolution
card...because the card must have a Midi processing chip onboard? And
is it double silly to monkey around with a Revolution when for 55.00
more one can get an Audiophile 24/96?

In which case, I am back to the AudioPhile.

More ideally, you would use a Echo Mia, as unlike the Audiophile, it is
designed for +4 audio production line levels.,Most external mic preamps are
designed to work with +4 line level inputs.

Default Mini-jacks vs 1/4 To Amy - Seen you here a few years...are you just

Hey Amy,

Seen you here a few years...are you just the audio world's kind
benefactor...you are always helping out...is it just the satisfaction of
knowing others benefit from your experience...or is this your job?

Just curious- AND GRATEFUL for all your input over the years!

Love,

Me

In article ,
says...
wrote in message

[...]

Arny Krueger

wrote in message

Hey Amy,

Seen you here a few years...are you just the audio world's kind
benefactor...you are always helping out...is it just the satisfaction
of knowing others benefit from your experience...or is this your job?

Just curious- AND GRATEFUL for all your input over the years!

Just having fun and learning what I can.

I find that I learn more than I share at RAP.

axtogrind

wrote in message

Hey Amy,

Seen you here a few years...are you just the audio world's kind
benefactor...you are always helping out...is it just the satisfaction
of knowing others benefit from your experience...or is this your job?

Just curious- AND GRATEFUL for all your input over the years!

Just having fun and learning what I can.

I find that I learn more than I share at RAP.

Oh crap, I just noticed that this alt.music.4-track thread is crossposted to
RAP.

Ben Bradley

wrote in message

Hey Amy,

Seen you here a few years...are you just the audio world's kind
benefactor...you are always helping out...is it just the satisfaction
of knowing others benefit from your experience...or is this your job?

Just curious- AND GRATEFUL for all your input over the years!

Just having fun and learning what I can.

I find that I learn more than I share at RAP.

Oh crap, I just noticed that this alt.music.4-track thread is crossposted to
RAP.

Not only that, his name's Arny, not Amy.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Arny Krueger

wrote in message

Shoot...I thought there was something weird going on...sometimes I saw
Arny...others Amy...thought it was 2 people...

This is nothing like the first time this mistake has been made. It was
obviously done in good faith, so why should I complain?

Time to get a bigger CRT!

axtogrind

wrote in message

Shoot...I thought there was something weird going on...sometimes I saw
Arny...others Amy...thought it was 2 people...

This is nothing like the first time this mistake has been made. It was
obviously done in good faith, so why should I complain?

Time to get a bigger CRT!

BTW, Q, I know just enough to know that from everything I've ever read by
Mr. K (which is a lot) - he knows his stuff. And is helpful and nice, as
you now know firsthand.

OK, my two cents.
Keith