Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Bob is offline

Default Plug And Jack Dimensions On Headphones ?

Hello,

My son just bought a new pair of Bose Headphones, the "SoundTrue" model.

Their .pdf manual says the Plug is 3.5 mm and also 1/8 inch.
Obviously, it can't be both, as their is a "meaningful" diameter
difference (0.0057) beteen these two dimensions.

I used to remember that there was always a bit of a problem, as some
Plugs that mfg's used were 1/8 inch, and some were 3.0 mm (not 3.5 mm).

The reason I'm asking is that when he plugs it into our (old CRT style)
Panasonic TV audio output Plug, it wiggles a lot and does not make good
contact.

Can someone who is a lot more knowledgeable about these kinda plugs and
jacks perhaps straighten us out on all of this. (are there adapters ?)

Also, the Plug seems to have 4 electrical sections.
Have never seen one with more than 3.
What are (each) of them for, please ? Diagram anywhere ?

Would be most appreciative for your help.

Thank you very much,
Bob

---

USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones [email protected] Tech 10 September 17th 07 11:39 PM
Odd jack plug/socket size Geoff Tech 2 December 4th 06 11:37 PM
Plug mono into stereo jack Jeffrey Pro Audio 46 November 30th 06 12:19 PM
TRS plug > TS jack Buster Mudd Pro Audio 7 October 12th 04 11:16 PM
"Lost" left channel into stereo headphones through 3.0 / 3.5 mm stereo jack socket / plug Clive Long,UK General 0 June 9th 04 05:57 PM