Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default What's with all these new SIXohm Stereo Speakers coming out?!

My receiver(as well as most built in the last 20 years) calls for 8-16ohm loads.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 29/11/2014 12:35 AM, wrote:
My receiver(as well as most built in the last 20 years) calls for 8-16ohm loads.

And many decent amps built in the last 20 years can handle 2-4 ohm
loads. But the rated impedance of speakers is only a VERY rough guide
anyway.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

geoff: My 1995 JVC receiver specifies 8-16ohms. Guess that's an oldie then!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 2/12/2014 12:19 AM, wrote:
geoff: My 1995 JVC receiver specifies 8-16ohms. Guess that's an oldie then!

Many cheap receivers with limited current capability specify 8 ohms or
more, regardless of age. Conversely many good amps can handle loads as
low as 2 ohms without a problem.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Thanks Trevor! Everyone who visits my place think I have a nice sounding system, cheapo receiver aside. smh...

http://www.hifiengine.com/files/imag....prev iew.jpg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 3/12/2014 10:28 AM, wrote:
Thanks Trevor! Everyone who visits my place think I have a nice sounding system, cheapo receiver aside. smh...

http://www.hifiengine.com/files/imag....prev iew.jpg

As always, as long as it can drive your speakers, the speakers and room
(and quality of source material) determine the sound quality, NOT your
receiver! And your friends probably have no idea what good sound is
anyway. Most don't.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 3/12/2014 12:21 AM, Mark Zacharias wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message
On 2/12/2014 12:19 AM, wrote:
geoff: My 1995 JVC receiver specifies 8-16ohms. Guess that's an
oldie then!

Many cheap receivers with limited current capability specify 8 ohms or
more, regardless of age. Conversely many good amps can handle loads as
low as 2 ohms without a problem.

Speaker impedances have not really changed - they are rating them a bit
more accurately these days.

Mark Z.

Partly true to the second part, mostly no to the first part. Some
manufacturers use the impedance minimum fairly closely these days.
Others are just an estimate of what they think the amp rating should be.
But speaker impedances HAVE generally dropped over the last 50 years or
so. First with the change from valve amps they generally went from
~16ohm to 8ohm. Then with the improvement in current handling of
transistor amps (and the increase in multiple small bass drivers vs one
larger driver), many have dropped from ~8ohm to ~6 or 4 ohm.
In any case ALL speakers vary wildly in *impedance* across the frequency
range, especially ported speakers, but the voice coil *resistance* of
many drivers has decreased. That affects the system impedance, and is
easy to measure. And some manufacturers still produce their drivers with
voice coil resistance options, or even custom make them if you buy enough.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/12/2014 2:19 a.m., wrote:
geoff: My 1995 JVC receiver specifies 8-16ohms. Guess that's an oldie then!

Certainly pandering to people from a different era. Probably said that
to avoid tech-support calls from the elderly. Doubt there have been any
(domestic hifi) speakers sold since mid-70s that spec at 16 ohms !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

geoff wrote: "On 2/12/2014 2:19 a.m., wrote:
geoff: My 1995 JVC receiver specifies 8-16ohms. Guess that's an oldie then!

Certainly pandering to people from a different era. Probably said that
to avoid tech-support calls from the elderly. Doubt there have been any
(domestic hifi) speakers sold since mid-70s that spec at 16 ohms !

geoff"

My dB Plus 880s are speced 8ohms. Not all that outlandish.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
None None is offline

wrote in message
... most built in the last 20 years ... calls for 8-16ohm loads.

Mostly the crap ones.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Friday, November 28, 2014 8:35:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My receiver(as well as most built in the last 20 years) calls for 8-16ohm loads.

All I'm trying to find out is if there will still be minimum 8ohm speakers available when I do decide to replace mine. And this trend of speakers with ohms that are not a factor of 4 is disturbing.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:43:48 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 11/12/2014 7:08 a.m., com wrote:
On Friday, November 28, 2014 8:35:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My receiver(as well as most built in the last 20 years) calls for 8-16ohm loads.

All I'm trying to find out is if there will still be minimum 8ohm speakers available when I do decide to replace mine. And this trend of speakers with ohms that are not a factor of 4 is disturbing.

They are the most common stanadard and that's not likely to change.

geoff

____

Thanks geoff - and sorry for yellin atchya!

I'm a very plain-spoken individual and I guess that kind of leads me to expect the same from others I encounter.

LOL