Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Adcom 535 acting up

My adcom 535 II has started exhibiting hum and scratchy noise. I
isolated it from my other components and it still does the same the
with nothing connected. It's doing it on both channels but one
channel is a bit worse that the other. Which is a bit annoying since
the amp is two independent amps in one box. I'm suspecting the
electrolytics in the power supplies. When I play around with them it
affects the scratchiness. I don't have a schematic for this amp but
it looks like the power supplies are basic unregulated rectifier/
capacitor arrangements.

I'm thinking I should replace all 4 electrolytics. I was browsing the
newark selection and it looks like I could raise the size a bit and
still fit in the space. The original ones are 6800uf at 63v. There
are a number of 8200uf that will fit. The lead spacing is a bit of a
chore since the originals are a lot wider that today's typical 10 or
12mm.

Any suggestions on my diagnosis or on bumping up the size?