Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Advice on CD players, please.

On Jul 6, 12:05*am, (Greg Grainger) wrote:
Well, it is the end of an era. My Revox CD player, bought in 1985,
has finally given up the ghost.

I could probably get it fixed but for a price that might very
well purchase a brand new one of good quality.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good CD player in the $300-$500
range? Simple, not fancy is what I'm after - the focus is on
sound quality and reliability. I have no use for all the bells
and whistles that seem to infect so much modern technology.

Any thoughts?

email or post is fine.

Repair the Revox if you can. They are _remarkably_ simple inside. I
have one of the same vintage (B225) that I have successfully repaired
several times. Once with a toothpick as the rack had warped a little,
once simply by replacing lubrication, once replacing two electrolytics
in the power-supply, once by re-setting the laser intensity. No
repairs in the last 5 years, however, and the cluster noted above was
all within one year.

Otherwise, after the basics are met (quiet, solid, decent ergonomics)
after about $100-$150 or so, there isn't much to choose between
players.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA