Iain M Churches

Default how old is too old

"John Rethorst" wrote in message
I've just bought an Ampex tube reel-to-reel tape recorder and want to get
supply of blank tape. Several places on the web have NOS from whenever,
and a
few advertise Quantegy (the last mfr., just now going out of business I
think)
tape made in 2005. How important is it to buy newer tape? How long does
tape
last? Thanks,

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com

Analogue tape dries out in time, as the binding between the coating
and the base deteriorates. This results in oxide shedding, which clogs
the heads, and is in every other respect a bit of a disaster.

If your Ampex is a 351, the heads are not too angular, so it should be kind
to tape. But fixed tape guides are the normal trouble spots. If you can
find
Ampex 468, Grand Master, it is very god indeed. Tape storage is the key
here.
Sealed boxes in a cool temperature.

If you are buying a quantity, I am sure that the vendor will allow you to
inspect it,
and perhaps have a reel on approval.

Good luck,

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:12:39 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

[...]

It should be noted that Quantegy is indeed out of buisiness, so
open-reel tape is now as scarce as hen's teeth. Buy whatever you can,
before the stocks totally vanish!

Iain M Churches

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about the situation in the UK, but via Germany we have
access to huge stocks of Agfa and BASF which will last for many years.
Many clients own twenty or so reels of 2inch which they use in rotation.
There is no shortage.

Iain

Chris Hornbeck

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:13:55 +0000 (UTC), Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

It should be noted that Quantegy is indeed out of buisiness, so
open-reel tape is now as scarce as hen's teeth. Buy whatever you can,
before the stocks totally vanish!

Breaking news is that Quantegy is being restructured and
will reopen soon-ish.

Time will tell, of course.

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42
"Right, the DBT is for all intents and purposes vastly superior to
casual listening."
Iain M Churches

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message

Breaking news is that Quantegy is being restructured and
will reopen soon-ish.

Time will tell, of course.

Chris Hornbeck

An increasing number of studios are again offering the analogue
option, and Studer still manufacture the A820 multitrack. If
there is demand, there is no reason why BASF who also
own Agfa Gaevert could start production of analogue tape again.
Meanwhile, there are large stockpiles of analogue tape in all
formats, so do not listen to the digi prophets of doom:-)

I was at an auction last autumn where a DASH recorder
(digital 24track) was sold for about half the price of an
analogue Studer A800/24. The Studer went to studio
in Tokyo. (smart people those Japanese:-)

Iain

Iain M Churches

"Iain M Churches" wrote in message

I wrote:

If there is demand, there is no reason why BASF who also
own Agfa Gaevert could start production of analogue tape again.

I meant to write:

If there is demand, there is no reason why BASF who also
own Agfa Gaevert could not start production of analogue tape

again.

Iain

Don Pearce

I wrote:

If there is demand, there is no reason why BASF who also
own Agfa Gaevert could start production of analogue tape again.

I meant to write:

If there is demand, there is no reason why BASF who also
own Agfa Gaevert could not start production of analogue tape

again.

Iain

I think we had all made the translation for you already.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Iain M Churches

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I think we had all made the translation for you already.

Thanks Don, you're a gent.
But there are some pretty swift pouncers out there.
I thought I would correct it myself, and save someone
else the trouble.

I doughnut speaker English two off ten these
daze.

Iain

Don Pearce

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:23:54 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I think we had all made the translation for you already.

Thanks Don, you're a gent.
But there are some pretty swift pouncers out there.
I thought I would correct it myself, and save someone
else the trouble.

I doughnut speaker English two off ten these
daze.

Iain

I'm surprised - last time I was in Helsingfors I didn't find anyone
who couldn't speak English. Shame about that Russian restaurant,
though - they put raspberry jam in my tea. What is that all about?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Iain M Churches

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I'm surprised - last time I was in Helsingfors I didn't find anyone
who couldn't speak English. Shame about that Russian restaurant,
though - they put raspberry jam in my tea. What is that all about?

They flatly refuse to speak English with you once they find out
you can get by in Finnish or Swedish.

Which restaurant was that, "Shashlik" ?
It's the most brilliant place, complete with balalaika quartet and
Gorbatchov vodka. Much better than any in St Petersburg or
Moscow, where Burger King rules.

Ah yes. Russian fruit tea.
I hope you didn't put any milk in it!!

Have you been to Moscow?
The last time I was there, we were in the queue to visit the
Lenin mausoleum. In front of us were an English family with
two teenage children. The girl said, in a whiny voice:
"Dad. Why are we standing in this queue?"
Dad replied, "We are queuing up to see the body
of Lenin" The girl said, "What, John Lenin?"

Isn't culture a wonderful thing:-)

Iain

Don Pearce

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:55:42 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I'm surprised - last time I was in Helsingfors I didn't find anyone
who couldn't speak English. Shame about that Russian restaurant,
though - they put raspberry jam in my tea. What is that all about?

They flatly refuse to speak English with you once they find out
you can get by in Finnish or Swedish.

Which restaurant was that, "Shashlik" ?
It's the most brilliant place, complete with balalaika quartet and
Gorbatchov vodka. Much better than any in St Petersburg or
Moscow, where Burger King rules.

Ah yes. Russian fruit tea.
I hope you didn't put any milk in it!!

I never put milk in my tea - so no problem there. Can't remember the
name of the restaurant, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Shashlik - that
sounds Greek. I just remember that it was near the end of a very wide,
tree-lined street.

Have you been to Moscow?
The last time I was there, we were in the queue to visit the
Lenin mausoleum. In front of us were an English family with
two teenage children. The girl said, in a whiny voice:
"Dad. Why are we standing in this queue?"
Dad replied, "We are queuing up to see the body
of Lenin" The girl said, "What, John Lenin?"

Isn't culture a wonderful thing:-)

Iain

Yes I've been in Moscow a few times. I did the paging system for the
Moscow Olympics, so I went there and Tallinn (rowing events).

We had a couple of Russian engineers over to learn about the system
before we installed it - great guys who spoke good English. There was
also "translator" - a very unpleasant woman who spoke no English, but
demanded to know what they said every time they spoke to us. She
unfroze eventually, though, when they all went on a shopping trip to
Marks and Spencer. I think maybe times have changed.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Iain M Churches

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I never put milk in my tea - so no problem there. Can't remember the
name of the restaurant, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Shashlik - that
sounds Greek. I just remember that it was near the end of a very wide,
tree-lined street.

Yes that's it. The other good one, the name of which escapes me
at the moment, has an entry through a wide archway with flaming
torches on the walls, and huge wrought-iron gates.
That's right on the harbour, so you would have remembered it.

We had a couple of Russian engineers over to learn about the system
before we installed it - great guys who spoke good English.

They are indeed very nice people. My wife speaks Russian, so we
get by well there.

There was
also "translator" - a very unpleasant woman who spoke no English, but
demanded to know what they said every time they spoke to us. She
unfroze eventually, though, when they all went on a shopping trip to
Marks and Spencer. I think maybe times have changed.

There used to be a Ma-tuschka like that on each and every landing of
each and every hotel, checking out who was coming and going and with
whom.

People used to try to buy your clothes, particularly jeans and shoes, and
offer military cap badges and wooden dolls in exchange.

If you have been to Tallin, you will probably know that the entire 11th
floor
of the famous Viru Hotel was a "listening facility" (valves of course:-)
which was removed at the demise of the Soviet Union. A pal of mine
was in the team that decomissioned. (I put that in just to keep this
post on topic) The floor is now occupied by the finest Russian hookers,
the best that money can buy:-))

Yes Russia has certainly changed, probably all too quickly. Moscow is
now incredibly expensive, with fine restaurants and French boutiques.

That's progress.

Iain

Don Pearce

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:46:56 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

[...]

I know all about Russian hookers. One time when I went to Kuwait soon
after the liberation I got to the hotel and there was a very nice
looking receptionist. As I checked in she said "I am from Ukraine, my
husband is not here and I get very bored". When I was in Cairo, I
would have had to go to the concierge for that sort of info...

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Iain M Churches

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I know all about Russian hookers. One time when I went to Kuwait soon
after the liberation I got to the hotel and there was a very nice
looking receptionist. As I checked in she said "I am from Ukraine, my
husband is not here and I get very bored". When I was in Cairo, I
would have had to go to the concierge for that sort of info...

:-))

As a Ukrainian, she would not have been so eager to
please you if she had heard you call her a Russian!!

There are quite a lot of Russian hookers in Helsingfors.
When I go to renew my visa, they are standing in line waiting
for temporary papers, with skirts like pelmets, and long leather
boots up to their bums:-) They are applying for Student visas.
I doubt there is little anyone could teach them.

In Stockholm they seem to be Estonians, Most of them
are tall and strikingly beautiful. It's pointless to ask
"What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this"
The answer is perfectly obvious:
"Making more money in a day than most people
make in a month!"

I forgot to mention that the Estonian language is in
some ways similar to Finnish, but sounds very quaint.
There are many words the same that have a totally
different meaning. For example the Estonia word for
"marriage" translates as "bankcruptcy", and
"Easter" as "egg.festival" Good fun:-)

Iain

Don Pearce

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:30:13 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

I forgot to mention that the Estonian language is in
some ways similar to Finnish, but sounds very quaint.
There are many words the same that have a totally
different meaning. For example the Estonia word for
"marriage" translates as "bankcruptcy", and
"Easter" as "egg.festival" Good fun:-)

I suppose you need to be a Finnish speaker to identify the Estonian
version as quaint. To me it was very musical and pleasant sounding.
THey spoke English with a very nice accent as well.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Ruud Broens

: wrote:
:
: I forgot to mention that the Estonian language is in
: some ways similar to Finnish, but sounds very quaint.
: There are many words the same that have a totally
: different meaning. For example the Estonia word for
: "marriage" translates as "bankcruptcy", and
: "Easter" as "egg.festival" Good fun:-)
:
: I suppose you need to be a Finnish speaker to identify the Estonian
: version as quaint. To me it was very musical and pleasant sounding.
: THey spoke English with a very nice accent as well.
:
: d
:
:
: Pearce Consulting
: http://www.pearce.uk.com

Wow! I guess it's as lovely spring weather at your places as it is in NL :-)
Rudy

Iain M Churches

wrote:

I forgot to mention that the Estonian language is in
some ways similar to Finnish, but sounds very quaint.
There are many words the same that have a totally
different meaning. For example the Estonia word for
"marriage" translates as "bankcruptcy", and
"Easter" as "egg.festival" Good fun:-)

I suppose you need to be a Finnish speaker to identify the Estonian
version as quaint. To me it was very musical and pleasant sounding.
THey spoke English with a very nice accent as well.

I noticed that in Tallinna as in Prague every second young person
seems to be carrying a violin case. They can't all contain Thompson
machine guns.

Yes. It's odd that many Estonians speak good Finnish, but few Finns
can understand quaint Estonian. On my first visit to Tallinna,
I found that I could understand them perfectly!
Work it out for yourself:-)

Iain

Don Pearce

: wrote:
:
: I forgot to mention that the Estonian language is in
: some ways similar to Finnish, but sounds very quaint.
: There are many words the same that have a totally
: different meaning. For example the Estonia word for
: "marriage" translates as "bankcruptcy", and
: "Easter" as "egg.festival" Good fun:-)
:
: I suppose you need to be a Finnish speaker to identify the Estonian
: version as quaint. To me it was very musical and pleasant sounding.
: THey spoke English with a very nice accent as well.
:
: d
:
:
: Pearce Consulting
: http://www.pearce.uk.com

Wow! I guess it's as lovely spring weather at your places as it is in NL :-)
Rudy

The sun is coming in through every crack.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
robert casey

If there is demand, there is no reason why BASF who also
own Agfa Gaevert could start production of analogue tape again.

I meant to write:

If there is demand, there is no reason why BASF who also
own Agfa Gaevert could not start production of analogue tape

again.

Iain

I think we had all made the translation for you already.

You know, I think I did the correction in my brain without
even realizing it....