ren

Default Tape: how old is too old

John Rethorst wrote:
I've just bought an Ampex tube reel-to-reel tape recorder and want to get a
supply of blank tape. Several places on the web have NOS from whenever, and a
few advertise Quantegy (the last mfr., just now going out of business I think)
tape made in 2005. How important is it to buy newer tape? How long does tape
last? Thanks,

I'd say that depends heavily on how they were stored. If not properly
even relatively new might not be good. I'd find the best source I could
but then only by one up front to test it out before I got a truckload.
cowboy

I would say buy the best quality reel tape that you can find that was made
in the last 5 years

the 35 year old NOS stuff seems a bit iffy, too much chance it got hot or
was warehoused improperly.

luckily, a great majority of tubes are as good as new, even when stored 60
years, but a few types are gassy nowadays, due to poor sealing

thank heaven for getter flash!

cowboy

"ren" wrote in message ...
John Rethorst wrote:
I've just bought an Ampex tube reel-to-reel tape recorder and want to get
a supply of blank tape. Several places on the web have NOS from whenever,
and a few advertise Quantegy (the last mfr., just now going out of
business I think) tape made in 2005. How important is it to buy newer
tape? How long does tape last? Thanks,

I'd say that depends heavily on how they were stored. If not properly
even relatively new might not be good. I'd find the best source I could
but then only by one up front to test it out before I got a truckload.

Mike Mueller

Hello All
I just had a TEAC 3340 serviced and of course needed tape for it. My
service tech. suggested any brand , except older Ampex and cheap, brands
(ie. Radio Shack). According to him, the lubricant on the Ampex tape is
not that good and over time they will begin to squeek as they run thru
the machine. Other than that, if they look good and sound good, they
will probably be ok.
As told to me by a fiend with an analog studio, tape is only available
in europe now. All american manufactures have stopped production and
bulk orders are all one can get.
I found some great deas on e-bay last month. Bought 20 reels of 10" tapes
Mike M