Posted to rec.audio.tech
robotron -x- robotron -x- is offline

Default carver integrated amp problem(sound cuts off) ???

I have a carver integrated amp, it sounds great, problem is when you
turn it up
loud the sound cuts off and then on then off then on if you leave it on
loud.
If you use it using and average or low volume it works and sounds great.

I was told the problem is that the amp has a built in speaker protection
but
i've used two pairs of speakers with this amp, a pair of jbl's and a
pair
of american acoustics speakers, the sound cuts off using both.

Any suggestions ???

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

If the total load impedance is below the specs of the amplifier's output
stage, the protection will cut in. Most of these amplifiers are rated for 8
ohms only. On most amplifiers you can get away with 6 ohm speakers being
played up to moderately loud volume levels.

If you are running 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers together, the amp will be seeing
a 4 ohm load. This can cause the safety circuits to shut down the amp.

If the total speaker load is 8 ohms and the amp is cutting out, then there
may be a defect with one or both speaker boxes, or a defect in the
protection circuits in the amp, or in the output amp stage itself.

--

JANA
_____

"robotron -x-" wrote in message

I have a carver integrated amp, it sounds great, problem is when you
turn it up
loud the sound cuts off and then on then off then on if you leave it on
loud.
If you use it using and average or low volume it works and sounds great.

I was told the problem is that the amp has a built in speaker protection
but
i've used two pairs of speakers with this amp, a pair of jbl's and a
pair
of american acoustics speakers, the sound cuts off using both.

Any suggestions ???

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

JANA wrote:
If the total load impedance is below the specs of the amplifier's output
stage, the protection will cut in. Most of these amplifiers are rated for 8
ohms only. On most amplifiers you can get away with 6 ohm speakers being
played up to moderately loud volume levels.

If you are running 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers together, the amp will be seeing
a 4 ohm load. This can cause the safety circuits to shut down the amp.

If the total speaker load is 8 ohms and the amp is cutting out, then there
may be a defect with one or both speaker boxes, or a defect in the
protection circuits in the amp, or in the output amp stage itself.

--

JANA
_____

I'm pretty sure the asshole Arny Krueger would tell you that it is an
outdated POS (Piece Of ****). Right AK????? But, I agree with Jana.