Default bizarre Cool Edit 2000 behaviour

I can't figure this one out. Granted I am not the most techincal
person, but it still doesn't make sense.
I ripped a song from a CD and saved it (stereo). I edited the song
down, saved it again. I close Cool Edit and when I re-open the file, it
is the unedited version but in mono. When I open the same file through
RealPlayer it plays as the edited version! I have worked with CE2000
for basic stuff like this for years and never had a problem. Am I
missing something here?! It's driving me crazy because I want to make
more changes to the file and can't.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Monica

Richard Crowley

njrealtor wrote ...
I can't figure this one out. Granted I am not the most techincal
person, but it still doesn't make sense.
I ripped a song from a CD and saved it (stereo). I edited the song
down, saved it again. I close Cool Edit and when I re-open the file,
it
is the unedited version but in mono. When I open the same file through
RealPlayer it plays as the edited version! I have worked with CE2000
for basic stuff like this for years and never had a problem. Am I
missing something here?! It's driving me crazy because I want to make
more changes to the file and can't.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Might have something to do with exactly HOW you "re-open the file"?
Sounds like you may be relying on some "last opened" feature or
something. I'd try explicitly opening the file as if it were something
that just arrived from Mars.

Paul Stamler

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
njrealtor wrote ...
I can't figure this one out. Granted I am not the most techincal
person, but it still doesn't make sense.
I ripped a song from a CD and saved it (stereo). I edited the song
down, saved it again. I close Cool Edit and when I re-open the file,
it
is the unedited version but in mono. When I open the same file through
RealPlayer it plays as the edited version! I have worked with CE2000
for basic stuff like this for years and never had a problem. Am I
missing something here?! It's driving me crazy because I want to make
more changes to the file and can't.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Might have something to do with exactly HOW you "re-open the file"?
Sounds like you may be relying on some "last opened" feature or
something. I'd try explicitly opening the file as if it were something
that just arrived from Mars.

Two suggestions: First, make sure you're not, in the "Open file" dialog box,
set to "Raw data .wav". Second, do a complete, cold reboot of the computer
(in other words, shut down and turn the machine off, rather than just doing
a restart). Sometimes CE2k will corrupt itself or Windows in such a way that
it doesn't change when you relaunch the program; only a complete reboot
fixes the problem.

And a third suggestion: after that cold reboot, re-install CE2k (presumably
you have your zipped install file someplace).

Peace,
Paul

Well, I've tried opening it different ways and did a complete
re-install and it still opens the thing in mono and without the edits I
made. When I used "open as" a stereo file it just converted the mono
file to stereo, and it comes up in stereo but still without the edits
I made!
I transfered the file to my mp3 player and it plays the edited version!
argh!