Colin B.

Default Any use for blown tweeters?

I've got two blown tweeters here (from a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower
speakers). One is open coil, and the other is a near-dead short (1ohm).
Is there any use in keeping them around? Can they be repaired or used for
anything besides funky magnets, or should I toss 'em?

Thanks,
Colin
jakdedert

Colin B. wrote:
I've got two blown tweeters here (from a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower
speakers). One is open coil, and the other is a near-dead short
(1ohm). Is there any use in keeping them around? Can they be
repaired or used for anything besides funky magnets, or should I toss
'em?

If they've got enclosed backs, you can rip the cones out of 'em and use 'em
for ashtrays...just not on your computer desk, or anywhere else where
magnetic media is handled.

jak

Thanks,
Colin

Bob Urz

Colin B. wrote:

I've got two blown tweeters here (from a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower
speakers). One is open coil, and the other is a near-dead short (1ohm).
Is there any use in keeping them around? Can they be repaired or used for
anything besides funky magnets, or should I toss 'em?

Thanks,
Colin

Use them to attach notes to your refrigerator.
Or, put them in a old sock and put them next to your friends TV or
CRT monitor and drive him nuts..

Bob

Ozzy 2005

Colin B. wrote:
I've got two blown tweeters here (from a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower
speakers). One is open coil, and the other is a near-dead short (1ohm).
Is there any use in keeping them around? Can they be repaired or used for
anything besides funky magnets, or should I toss 'em?

Thanks,
Colin

Companies like Morel and Focal and others I am sure would sell
replacement diaphragms making a blown tweeter essentially new

check with www.zalytron.com if replacement domes are made for your tweeters

they say if you sleep with magnets attached to your head...
Barry Mann

Vertical, high velocity frisbie?

Steel wool scouring pad holder?

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Geoff Wood

They are great for taking through airport security.

geoff

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:56:58 -0600, Bob Urz
wrote:

Or, put them in a old sock and put them next to your friends TV or
CRT monitor and drive him nuts..

Your friend would consider an old sock merely an acceptable part of
the landscape? :-)
Tony

wrote:

Or, put them in a old sock and put them next to your friends TV or
CRT monitor and drive him nuts..

Your friend would consider an old sock merely an acceptable part of
the landscape? :-)

Not likely around here either, but who knows? On the OP's question
(which I didn't see), many tweeters become "blown" when a voice coil
wire breaks at or near the termination (repairable), and many others
have replaceable diaphragms.

Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)