Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] imre.polik@gmail.com is offline

Default Which M-audio mike to buy?

Hi,

I need help with selecting the right mic from M-audio. I have a
Fasttrack Pro USB, and I'd like to buy a mike to record my wife singing
opera arias accompanied by a piano. Luna, Solaris, Nova, Aries, Pulsar?
For now I want to buy only one and position it somewhere between the
piano and her. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Imre

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

I need help with selecting the right mic from M-audio. I have a
Fasttrack Pro USB, and I'd like to buy a mike to record my wife singing
opera arias accompanied by a piano. Luna, Solaris, Nova, Aries, Pulsar?
For now I want to buy only one and position it somewhere between the
piano and her. Any suggestion is welcome.

Why do you want to buy an M-Audio product specifically?

Why do you want to buy ANY mike without auditioning it first?

If I were you, I'd look for a mike with the best possible off-axis response,
which will almost certainly NOT have a Shanghai capsule in it. This is an
application where response off-axis is very important since everything you
are recording (including the room) is mostly off-axis.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Roy W. Rising" wrote in message

I'll second Scott's opinion. The Electro-Voice RE15 (supercardioid) and
RE20 (cardioid) are flat from all directions. RE20s remain in production
and RE15s appear regularly on eBay for very good prices. I'd avoid the
RE16 (an RE15 with a pop screen cage that affects its sound). No one

knows
why EV discontinued the RE15 but kept the RE16!

I asked an E-V rep at AES when it happened. He said they pretty near tossed
a coin; they couldn't see any reason to prefer one mic to the other, but the
RE16 had a pop filter on it so they kept it. The Dilbert Syndrome. Grrr.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] imre.polik@gmail.com is offline

If I were you, I'd look for a mike with the best possible off-axis
response, which will almost certainly NOT have a Shanghai capsule in it.
This is an application where response off-axis is very important since
everything you are recording (including the room) is mostly off-axis.
--scott

I'll second Scott's opinion. The Electro-Voice RE15 (supercardioid) and
RE20 (cardioid) are flat from all directions. RE20s remain in production
and RE15s appear regularly on eBay for very good prices. I'd avoid the
RE16 (an RE15 with a pop screen cage that affects its sound). No one knows
why EV discontinued the RE15 but kept the RE16!

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check out the RE15.
Imre

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article .com,
wrote:

If I were you, I'd look for a mike with the best possible off-axis
response, which will almost certainly NOT have a Shanghai capsule in it.
This is an application where response off-axis is very important since
everything you are recording (including the room) is mostly off-axis.

I'll second Scott's opinion. The Electro-Voice RE15 (supercardioid) and
RE20 (cardioid) are flat from all directions. RE20s remain in production
and RE15s appear regularly on eBay for very good prices. I'd avoid the
RE16 (an RE15 with a pop screen cage that affects its sound). No one knows
why EV discontinued the RE15 but kept the RE16!

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check out the RE15.

I would tend to go with a condenser mike, say the Josephson Series Four or
the AT 4053 in that price range.

But you could do a lot worse than the RE-15. It doesn't have the best top
end detail but the pattern is remarkably good. It's a very handy thing to
have in the kit.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

I asked an E-V rep at AES when it happened. He said they pretty near tossed
a coin; they couldn't see any reason to prefer one mic to the other, but the
RE16 had a pop filter on it so they kept it. The Dilbert Syndrome. Grrr.

I wonder if you could take off the 16's pop filter and you'd
have an exact new 15?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86 Agent 86 is offline

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:14:13 -0700, pandorapayne wrote:

I wonder if you could take off the 16's pop filter and you'd have an exact
new 15?

Probably not *Exact*. But likely as close as taking the ball off a SM58
when you need another 57. That's been done plenty of times around here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
I asked an E-V rep at AES when it happened. He said they pretty near

tossed
a coin; they couldn't see any reason to prefer one mic to the other, but

the
RE16 had a pop filter on it so they kept it. The Dilbert Syndrome. Grrr.

I wonder if you could take off the 16's pop filter and you'd
have an exact new 15?

Probably not; the 15 has a screen, a layer of foam and a layer of mesh
before you get to the capsule, and a particular shape to the head and the
side grilles. None of that's there on the 16.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] imre.polik@gmail.com is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

If I were you, I'd look for a mike with the best possible off-axis
response, which will almost certainly NOT have a Shanghai capsule in it.
This is an application where response off-axis is very important since
everything you are recording (including the room) is mostly off-axis.

I'll second Scott's opinion. The Electro-Voice RE15 (supercardioid) and
RE20 (cardioid) are flat from all directions. RE20s remain in production
and RE15s appear regularly on eBay for very good prices. I'd avoid the
RE16 (an RE15 with a pop screen cage that affects its sound). No one knows
why EV discontinued the RE15 but kept the RE16!

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll check out the RE15.

I would tend to go with a condenser mike, say the Josephson Series Four or
the AT 4053 in that price range.

The problem is that I don't have 400 dollars just for the mike(s). I
need something in the 150-200 dollar range. Maybe I'll post to
rec.audio.amateur :-)
Thanks anyways,
PI