D Shadford

Default Power supply dilemma...

I have bean nominated to set up my dogs club PA system...

They have given me a PA system but there is no power supply...
It says on the back DC 12V 300mA

On looking in my store / study I have found two power supply's. Namely

First one:
Rated: output: 12V
150mA
Second one:
Rated: output: 13.8V
rated current 3A
Max current 5A

To me the one is too weak the other too strong.
Can I use either of them? or will I have to fork out money and go and by
one?

Thanks for help.

Richard D Pierce

In article ,
D Shadford wrote:
I have bean nominated to set up my dogs club PA system...

They have given me a PA system but there is no power supply...
It says on the back DC 12V 300mA

On looking in my store / study I have found two power supply's. Namely

First one:
Rated: output: 12V
150mA
Second one:
Rated: output: 13.8V
rated current 3A
Max current 5A

To me the one is too weak the other too strong.

Nope, not quite. The first one, only able to supply 150 mA, is
inadequate. But the second one, which can supply up to 3000mA,
is adequate: if the system you want to power consumes 300 mA at
12V, it wil consume 300 mA whether it's hooked to a 300 mA
supply or to a 3000mA supply or to a 30000000mA supply. A supply
with a higher current capacity will not FORCE more current into
the system than the system needs. So, the second supply will
work fine, EXCEPT...

The second one sounds like a car=-battery substitue supply and
therefore may not have sufficient filtering or regulation. The
result may be added num or noise. Also, it's running a little
over, at 13.8 volts. That may not be a problem unless the PA
system you're hooking it to has veryb little margin built in.

Can I use either of them? or will I have to fork out money and go and by
one?

If it were me, I would find a good quality, 12 volt, well
filtered and regulated supply capable of supplying at least 500
mA or more. You'd be better off noise wise that way. Such things
are reasonably available and not hugely expensive.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |