BillSincl

Default Need small simple mike-to-line preamp

Hi;

I just bought a Sony Discman audio recorder, then discovered my electret mike
does not have enough voltage output do effectively record live music. It only
has line inputs. I ran around to various electronic stores and music stores but
could not find a mike preamp. Probably 20 db voltage gain would be sufficient.
The only thing I could find was a prepackaged phone to line level converter,
which is NOT suffiicient, since it has the RIAA EQ curve. I need something with
a FLAT response.

They do have those monster rack-mountable preamps that take an XLR balanced
input, but those are overkill, considering that they cost $500-600.

Ideally, what I would like is a little box about the size of a deck of playing
cards, perhaps battery powered, that will give me a stereo voltage gain of 20
db or more. Adjustable input gain would be nice.

Have any of you seen something resembling that? Otherwise I could buy an audio
IC and fudge up something in my garage, but I'd rather plunk down some $$$ and
save myself the labor.

Thanks for any suggestions;

Bill Sinclair