Pred02

Default DVD Player Recommendation: Sony ES, Yamaha, Denon, or other?

Hi,

We have been using the Sony DVP S7700 which we bought in 1999 as the
DVD player for our system. This fall we plan on upgrading to a
Panasonic 50' plasma screen. When we bought the S7700, it was one of
the reference players out there - indeed it was very good, much better
compared to the consumer-grade DVD panasonic player we first owned.
However, as S7700 does not have progressive output, and with plasma
HDTV-ready TV, I understanding we need progressive scan to get the
better picture quality. Thus, we are ready to upgrade when we buy the
TV.

Looking a bit on the net, we found a couple of models that would suit
our needs and budget. More specifically, the budget it around 500 USD,
maybe a little more.

In this price range, I first looked at the Sony ES line, more
specifically the follow up reference to what we currently own: Sony
DVP-NS999ES.

In the similar price range I saw the Yamaha DVD-S2500, and the Denon
DVD-2910B. The Denon DVD-2910 also hasa HDMI output, which I am not
sure if it makes any difference over composite video, but it also
claims to offer 720p and 1080i output. I know that the plasma screen
does offer this mode.

Given the price range and the choices, which DVD player would you
recommend? Our main concern is the picture quality, and secondly audio
quality (2-channel).

Kind regards,
george

Tai Fu

I was under the impression that the DVD players that costs very little in
Taiwan has the best compatibility, like NTSC/PAL, all region out of the box.
The bigger brands never have such feature. I do have a question though, can
any DVD player play SACD or do they require a special player? can a computer
DVD drive read SACD?

--
TAI FU
http://creationism.dyndns.org/

TB

"Tai Fu"wrote:

I was under the impression that the DVD players that costs very little in
Taiwan has the best compatibility, like NTSC/PAL, all region out of the
box.
The bigger brands never have such feature. I do have a question though,
can
any DVD player play SACD or do they require a special player? can a
computer
DVD drive read SACD?

PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc can
play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
reliabilty or playback quality.

T.B.

Khee Mao

"TB" wrote in message
"Tai Fu"wrote:

PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc can
play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
reliabilty or playback quality.

T.B.

is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

ardz

"Khee Mao" wrote in message

"TB" wrote in message
"Tai Fu"wrote:

PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc

can
play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players for
reliabilty or playback quality.

T.B.

is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

Can you give a link to this comparison?

Joe Kesselman

is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

By who, on what criteria... Strike that, I don't think I need to know.
TB

"Khee Mao" wrote:

PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc
can play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
for reliabilty or playback quality.

T.B.

is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

Only in picture quality for the DVI output. It doesn't even support
progressive scan output.

Here's a simple review for those interested in this player:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdp...po971short.htm

And a lond running thread about it in AC review:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=15

It has exceptional video quality but it falls far short of most of the other
features a player like the Denon 5910 offers. Also, there's some display
issues with PAL format dvds that the manufacturer has been struggling to fix
with firmware upgrades. For under 200 bucks it's a good deal but especially
in the audio department, it falls far short of any sort of real reference
player. Another complaint (common to many cheaply built dvd players) is that
they aren't built to last.

T.B.

Khee Mao

"ardz" wrote in message

"Khee Mao" wrote in message

"TB" wrote in message
"Tai Fu"wrote:

PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc

can
play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
for
reliabilty or playback quality.

T.B.

is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

Can you give a link to this comparison?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

you're welcome

Khee Mao

"TB" wrote in message
"Khee Mao" wrote:

PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan, etc
can play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
for reliabilty or playback quality.

T.B.

is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

Only in picture quality for the DVI output. It doesn't even support
progressive scan output.

snip

oh, 720p isn't progressive?

wake up.

Biz

"Khee Mao" wrote in message

"ardz" wrote in message

"Khee Mao" wrote in message

"TB" wrote in message
"Tai Fu"wrote:

PC dvd or cd players cannot read a SACD.

And yes, many of those cheap dvd players out of Hong kong, Taiwan,

etc
can
play just about anything but they never approach bigger name players
for
reliabilty or playback quality.

T.B.

is that why the $200 Oppo was ranked second best player to the 5910?

Can you give a link to this comparison?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

you're welcome

Thats not what those rankings mean. It just means that based on the given
tests they perform, which have nothing to do with PQ or SQ, the Oppo scored
well. If you bothered to read the actual reviews you would see that they
said there is no comparison in quality between those 2 players at all...

TB

"Khee Mao" wrote:

snip

oh, 720p isn't progressive?

wake up.

It doesn't support PS via component output.

BTW, are you a shill for Oppo by any chance?

T.B.

Khee Mao

"Biz" wrote in message ...
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

you're welcome

Thats not what those rankings mean. It just means that based on the given
tests they perform, which have nothing to do with PQ or SQ, the Oppo scored
well. If you bothered to read the actual reviews you would see that they
said there is no comparison in quality between those 2 players at all...

oh really? chroma, yc, cropping, and btb have nothing to do with pq? hello. if that's not clear enough, maybe you should have actually read the review, as you suggested, which stated:

If you are in the market for a budget DVD player, with DVI output, and which has exceptional video performance, the 971H definitely meets those criteria. This player passes below-black, has no pixel cropping, and there are no signs of Y/C delay. I personally can't wait to see what Oppo has in store for us next.

did you note the part about "exceptional video performance"?

and can you point me to the review that claims there is no quality comparison between the two?
Khee Mao

"TB" wrote in message
"Khee Mao" wrote:

snip

oh, 720p isn't progressive?

wake up.

It doesn't support PS via component output.

BTW, are you a shill for Oppo by any chance?

T.B.

it's really unfortunate that your old jalopy doesn't have DVI or HDMI ins if
you're so concerned with picture quality...

TB

"Khee Mao" wrote:

"TB" wrote in message
"Khee Mao" wrote:

snip

oh, 720p isn't progressive?

wake up.

It doesn't support PS via component output.

BTW, are you a shill for Oppo by any chance?

T.B.

it's really unfortunate that your old jalopy doesn't have DVI or HDMI ins
if you're so concerned with picture quality...

Translation: "Yes, I shill for Oppo, thank you very much."

BTW idiot. Who said my "old jalopy" didn't have DVI or HDMI inputs? But
we're not talking about what *I* have, right?

The low end market this player is aimed at is comprised of a vast majority
of users who still have monitors with progressive scan via componant out/in.
A stupid shortcut to save a few bucks by Oppo.

You seem intent on dodging the simple fact that aside from what is described
as excellent image quality that *compares* with a Denon 5910, this player
really doesn't come near the quality and features of a dvd player of the
caliber of the 5910 or even lesser players like the Pioneer Elite models.
Why does it down convert audio instead of passing a full bitrate signal for
hi end audio formats? Why does it have the "micro blocking" bug? Why all the
firmware upgrades?

As I said, it's a nice player for 200 bucks but it's certainly not any sort
of reference quality dvd player. Unless of course your an Oppo salesman
trying to pawn it off on a bunch of cheap rubes.

T.B.

David Troxell - Encourager Software

says...

"TB" wrote in message

The low end market this player is aimed at is comprised of a vast majority
of users who still have monitors with progressive scan via componant out/in.
A stupid shortcut to save a few bucks by Oppo.
T.B.

T.B.

DVDtalk - DVD Player Review - Oppo OPDV971H

http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/004343.html

"It must be noted that the DV971H is designed primarily for viewers using
HDTV displays with a direct-digital DVI (or the compatible HDMI format)
connections. Although the player also has the standard composite, S-video,
and component video analog connections, its best performance comes from DVI.

The unit will not output either upscaled nor even progressive scan video
from its component connection. As such, if you need a progressive or
upscaling component video DVD player, the DV971H is not for you."

My comment - with the rapidly increasing selection of HDTVs with DVI - HDMI
connectors hovering in the USD $500-600 range, the price point of this DVD
player makes sense, and those with less elaborate home theater systems (AND
HDTV with DVI) would do well to look at this player.

David

--
From David Troxell - Product Scope 32 PRO - Encourager Software
Email -

Ritz

TB wrote:
"Khee Mao" wrote:

snip

oh, 720p isn't progressive?

wake up.

It doesn't support PS via component output.

A lot of players only support higher res progressive output through the
DVI or HDMI interface.

BTW, are you a shill for Oppo by any chance?

Nope. 8-)

Cheers,
Khee Mao

"TB" wrote in message
"Khee Mao" wrote:

[...]

dude. can you be any more stupid? a LOT of "high-end" players including
your beloved denon 5900 and 3910 use the Faroudja 2310 chip, i.e. they
MACROBLOCK you knuckle dragging babboon. damn, you're stupid. and you try
to knock Oppo for releasing firmware updates when this is common practice in
the industry? maybe you're a shill for Denon? or just an idiot that would
pay $3500 for a "high-end" player that also macroblocks and will be obsolete
in less than a year when the HD drives become available.

can your Denon play mpeg4? divx? xvid? mp3? (s)vcd? cd+g? HDCD? kodak
picture CDs/jpegs? do your Denons (other than 5910) output a better picture
than this $200 wunderkind? no. they can not, as evidenced by me and the
long list of PROFESSIONAL TESTERS WHO POSTED CERTIFIABLE RESULTS ON EACH
DRIVE you mullet headed hayseed.

TB

"Khee Mao" babbled:

dude. can you be any more stupid? a LOT of "high-end" players including
your beloved denon 5900 and 3910 use the Faroudja 2310 chip, i.e. they
MACROBLOCK you knuckle dragging babboon. damn, you're stupid. and you
try to knock Oppo for releasing firmware updates when this is common
practice in the industry? maybe you're a shill for Denon? or just an
idiot that would pay $3500 for a "high-end" player that also macroblocks
and will be obsolete in less than a year when the HD drives become
available.

Duuueeeeede! LOL! Here comes the meltdown!

You obviously don't have a clue as to what you're ranting about. Denon for
one has overcome the microblocking issue over a year ago. BTW, I paid
$700.00 for my player brand new.

can your Denon play mpeg4? Yes divx? Yes xvid? mp3? Yes (s)vcd? Yes
cd+g? Yes HDCD? Yes kodak picture CDs/jpegs? Yes. do your Denons (other
than 5910) output a better picture than this $200 wunderkind? (of course
they do). they can not, as evidenced by me and the long list of
PROFESSIONAL TESTERS WHO POSTED CERTIFIABLE RESULTS ON EACH DRIVE you
mullet headed hayseed.

"- as evidenced by me." HA! Time to break out the wading boots, the ****'s
getting deep.

BTW, can your precious Oppo play SACDs? no. Does it pass through true DTS
audio at 24/96? no. About the only thing you can say "yes" to is the fact a
strong breeze will blow it off a counter!

Maybe you should think about having that big coconut rolling around on your
shoulders tested for a pulse, "dude."

Too funny.

T.B.

Khee Mao

"TB" wrote in message
You obviously don't have a clue as to what you're ranting about. Denon for
one has overcome the microblocking issue over a year ago. BTW, I paid
$700.00 for my player brand new.

dude. first off, it's "MACROblocking". repeated incorrect use of
terminology equates to you being a dumb ass, as if that wasn't clear enough
already. secondly, if it's using the Faroudja 2310 chip as the 5900, 3910,
and 2910 are, it has not "overcome" the macroblocking issue. dummy. what
was it you were saying about a clue?

TB

"Khee Mao" queefed:

dude. first off, it's "MACROblocking". repeated incorrect use of
terminology equates to you being a dumb ass, as if that wasn't clear
enough already. secondly, if it's using the Faroudja 2310 chip as the 5900
(what about the 5910, genius?), 3910, and 2910 are, it has not "overcome"
the macroblocking issue. dummy. what was it you were saying about a
clue?

You can't quit crying, can you? Maybe I can make you burst a ventricle
before the week's over!

HA!

T.B.