Posted to rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro
George George is offline

Default FYI - my sample CD-Rom playback test results

Time taken to play through all the sounds of the same Voice Crystal's
"Legacy" Akai S-1000 CD-Rom:

On my Akai (CD-3000i) - 141 minutes
On my E-mu (ESI-2000) - 68 minutes
On my EXS24 (Logic 7.1) - 28 minutes

Times include conversion. On the Akai I used the internal CD, on the
E-mu I used an external AppleCD drive, on the EXS24 I used the Mac
G5's internal CD drive to read the same disc.

In terms of sound fidelity, the E-mu occasionally ignored some of the
Akai filter data, playing some milky pads as searing brass.
The EXS conversion was faithful sonically, but about 10% of the sounds
were skipped (not converted).

Happy music making
G.