Arny Krueger

William Sommerwerck wrote:
2: the magazine has no objective standards

Arguable. SP does do technical tests.

But when have they ever been correlated with what one

"actually" (???) hears?

I agree. SP's objective tests are far from being
well-informed in terms of audibility. I believe this
partically comes from a vain attempt to bring them into some
kind of congruence with their subjective evaluations, which
being non-blind are not really well-connected to real
audibility.

An "objective" test is objective only if it correlates

with
valid subjective tests.

I would restate that to say:

An "objective" test is relative only if it correlates with
valid subjective tests.

Since SP does so many invalid subjective tests, they dont'
have a ghost of a chance of making any connections between
reliable subjective evaluations and the results of objective
evaluations.

Otherwise it's meaningless.

I agree.

To the best of my
knowledge, Stereophile has never performed listening tests

that might
provide this correlation (or show there was none).

Stereophile's
technical tests are largely window dressing.

I agree.

20+ years ago, when JA introduced cumulative decay spectra

as a
speaker measurement, I urged him to hold off for a year or

so, to do
additional listening tests in the hope they would reveal

correlations
between the measurements and specific subjective aspects

of the
speaker's sound. This, like every other suggestion I made

to JA, was
instantly rejected.

Not invented in the mind of JA, or agreeable to his biases.

I note that the current issue of SP attempts to rebut JA's
personal cataclysm at the HE2005 debate by recounting the
same ancient anecdote about JA, blind tests, and amplifier
choices. All I can say is that repeating a tragic story does
not seem to mitigate that intellectual tragedy and its
deliterious long-term effects on JA's intellect.

It's worth noting that, when I reviewed the AKG K1000 ear

speakers, I
ran a waterfall plot that correlated with the 'phones'

extreme
midrange "honking". JA's reaction was to ask me whether

I'd run the
tests properly.

It's a fair question, provided the answer is considered
fairly. I take it that your answer did not get a fair
treatment.

Arny Krueger

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Compare music now and music then and you'll understand

why "comparing
recorded music to live music" is too narrow a definition

of what
hi-fidelity is and why the magazine might have expanded

its
definition of the utility of a piece of equipment.

It's not "too-narrow" a definition -- it's the only

_valid_
definition.

If I were running an audiophile magazine, I would

categorically bar
reviews of non-acoustic music,

If you define non-acoustic music as music that was never
played into a performance space, then I would agree. If you
define non-acoustic music as music that not made with
traditional musical instruments and voices then I would not
agree.

Arny Krueger

jeffc wrote:
"robert casey" wrote in message

ink.net...

I'd want a magazine somewhat similar to Consumer Reports,
one that has no ads. One that will tell you that there
is no significant difference between "Ultra Essense"

speaker
wire and 14 gauge power cord bought from Ace Hardware.

But
costs about 1/50th as much (thus freeing up money you
could spend towards something that *will* improve your

system).

Yeah, but the problem with that approach is they can't

tell what will
because they can't tell the difference between any 2 CD

players or
amps.

Hyperbole?

They can barely tell between 2 speakers, and then not

between
any speakers that cost more than $600.

Do you really believe this?

Andre Majorel

On 2005-06-17, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I am not nostalgic, I am peeved. Modern technology has made
homebrewing easier and it has given us a huge set of powerful
tools to make sophisticated electronic systems on a low budget
with hardly any infrastructure. If anything, the DIY
phenomenon should be taking off. But it's dying. Why?

Synth DIY is alive and well. Perhaps not as many practitioners
as in the seventies but it's on the rise, as far as I can tell.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
(Counterfeit: )
Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

A Tesla coil ;-)

Been there, done that.

You made one too, Arny? That's cool!

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Sander deWaal

"jeffc" said:

No, their basic approach is to only review high-dollar stuff, which, like
the other guy said, isn't going to suck.

To be fair, I know some $$$ stuff that really sucks, sound-wise and
build-quality wise.

Cary comes to mind.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Andre Majorel

On 2005-06-17, Scott Dorsey wrote:

That's true, there is still a large homebrew software
community. It's not as mainstream a thing as it used to be
either, though.

Debatable. I don't have any figures regarding the proportion of
programmers amongst computer owners then and now, but I clearly
remember that during the microcomputer explosion in the
eighties, the vast majority of users just loaded programs from
cassettes as opposed to writing them.

In any case, in terms of absolute numbers, there have never been
as many software hobbyists as there are now. I bet than in a few
decades, we'll think of the 2000's as the golden age of DIY
software.

Today you buy a Windows machine and it comes with NO
programming interface of any sort. Not even a BASIC
interpreter.

That was a shock to me when I bought an Atari ST. In a way,
1985-1995 was a relative dark age for poor software hobbyists.
After that, we could grab a FreeBSD or Linux CD for cheap at the
store and it had interpreters and compilers for a variety of
languages far more interesting than BASIC. I've been living in
programmer heaven since then.

I suppose those who live in the dark empire just install pirate
copies of MSVC or VB or whatever is trendy this year. It's still
DIY.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
(Counterfeit: )
What worries me is not the violence of the few, but the
indifference of the many. -- M. L. King

It's the education sytem, or as I call it, "The dumb-sizing of
America". Most of these kids can't even write their names, much less
being interested in anything outside of peer pleasure.

It's already like that old Sci Fi movie, "Why do you keep the old guys
around?" "Because they know how to fix the machines".

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Fixing the machines

Clyde Slick

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck said:

Under JA, the magazine gradually moved in the direction of "if it sounds
good, it is good". Any pretense to honoring the original meaning of
"high
fidelity" has been lost. Stereophile has no "objective" standards; it

exists
primarily to justify whatever purchase a particular reader wishes to

make.

You might think it odd, but that's exactly how Normal people make their
choices. If you value "realistic" sound, do you need some reviewer to
tell you whether a system delivers it? That judgment is as subjective as
"too much bass" or "great imaging".

I don't find it odd at all. Like most businesses, Stereophile tries to
appeal to the lowest common denominator.

"At least" the lowest common denominator that wants to
spend $30,000 on an amplifier.

Clyde Slick

wrote in message
ups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:
"robert casey" wrote in message
ink.net...
Any of these magazines ever come out and say that
Product X made by Company Y really sucked?

The situation is that they are mostly reviewing extremely
expensive and high end products. Generally, such products do not
really
suck.

SET amps, anyone? Shakti Stones? Shun Mook Mpingo discs? Bedini
Clarifiers? Power conditioners? High $ "interconnects"? High $ power
cords? Shall I go on?

Of course, there is the valid question as to whether
one can get comparable sound for less money than some of the
other high priced items. Careful and persistent reading of the
magazine
may
help steer
one in that direction.

To which magazine are you referring, Art? Surely, one cannot glean such
information by reading Stereophile.

that's your problem, I have done well by them.

My problem? Sorry, Art, but I see Stereophile for exactly the scam it
is. If you want to engage in a fantasy about getting a 'good value'
audio system by "the careful and persistent reading' of Stereophile,
good luck. Hope you don't go blind.

Much of the equipment I own was reviewed in Stereophile, or advertised
there..
Vandesteen, Jolida, Music Hall, Ortofon, VPI, etc.
Remeber, I NEVER paid more than $1,900 for any piecce of audio
equipment.

OTOH, can one "get comparable sound for less money than some of the
other high priced items"? Of course. But you don't need Atkinson's
Little Rip-off for that.

but Stereophile sure helped.

George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said to Thing:

I see Stereophile for exactly the scam it

Much of the equipment I own was reviewed in Stereophile, or advertised
there..

This just shows you how far from reality Thing is. The only $12 scam I can
think of is two cups of coffee at starbucks. Stereophile is dirt cheap for
what it delivers.

William Sommerwerck

Please remember that there's not a system on the planet that can sound
exactly like a live performance. All systems are a series of
compromises and there's no system or component that offers an absolute
reference vis a vis live or "acoustic" music. Different components and
systems have strengths and weaknesses that can also be judged by
"non-acoustic" music, especially since there's precious little music
that hasn't been processed electronically in one way or another (and
I'm not *just* talking about the physical act of recording either,
which imposes its own "signature").

JA once made that point to me -- that if a recording reveals a difference
between two components, it's useful. I see the logic, except that we aren't
as much interested in differences as we are in which one (if either) is
closer to "correct".

William Sommerwerck

It's worth noting that, when I reviewed the AKG K1000
ear speakers, I ran a waterfall plot that correlated with the
'phones' extreme midrange "honking". JA's reaction was
to ask me whether I'd run the tests properly.

It's a fair question, provided the answer is considered
fairly. I take it that your answer did not get a fair treatment.

As far as I could tell, JA had already decided he liked the K1000s (who
_wouldn't_ want to like such a sexy audiophile product?), and didn't want
anything to disturb his a-priori judgement.

William Sommerwerck

If you define non-acoustic music as music that was never
played into a performance space, then I would agree. If you
define non-acoustic music as music that not made with
traditional musical instruments and voices then I would not
agree.

Rock music played over a huge PA system is not, to my mind, acoustic music.

Arny Krueger

Clyde Slick wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

To which magazine are you referring, Art? Surely, one

cannot glean
such information by reading Stereophile.

that's your problem, I have done well by them.

If you call what you've done Art, doing well.

Toobs, anyone?

LOL!

Arny Krueger

jeffc wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

SET amps, anyone? Shakti Stones? Shun Mook Mpingo discs?

Bedini
Clarifiers? Power conditioners? High $ "interconnects"?

High $ power
cords? Shall I go on?

With what?

More Stereophile-approved snake oil.

Those things never did anything to make your stereo sound

bad.

You think that SET amps are anything but a blight on any
stereo that is based on them?

The rest are merely cosmic wastes of money that could spent
on things that actually help.

Arny Krueger

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It's worth noting that, when I reviewed the AKG K1000
ear speakers, I ran a waterfall plot that correlated

with the
'phones' extreme midrange "honking". JA's reaction was
to ask me whether I'd run the tests properly.

It's a fair question, provided the answer is considered
fairly. I take it that your answer did not get a fair

treatment.

As far as I could tell, JA had already decided he liked

the K1000s
(who _wouldn't_ want to like such a sexy audiophile

product?), and
didn't want anything to disturb his a-priori judgement.

Probably something like what happened in his power amp
anecdote from the HE2005 debate.

dave weil

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:27:36 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Please remember that there's not a system on the planet that can sound
exactly like a live performance. All systems are a series of
compromises and there's no system or component that offers an absolute
reference vis a vis live or "acoustic" music. Different components and
systems have strengths and weaknesses that can also be judged by
"non-acoustic" music, especially since there's precious little music
that hasn't been processed electronically in one way or another (and
I'm not *just* talking about the physical act of recording either,
which imposes its own "signature").

JA once made that point to me -- that if a recording reveals a difference
between two components, it's useful. I see the logic, except that we aren't
as much interested in differences as we are in which one (if either) is
closer to "correct".

Which is sort of my point.

I'm not sure that a system that "correctly" reproduces a modern
classical recording is *necessarily* the best for an Eno/Jah Wobble
disc.

If you catch my drift.
dave weil

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:31:50 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

If you define non-acoustic music as music that was never
played into a performance space, then I would agree. If you
define non-acoustic music as music that not made with
traditional musical instruments and voices then I would not
agree.

Rock music played over a huge PA system is not, to my mind, acoustic music.

No it's not. for that matter, acoustic music fed into a small PA isn't
acoustic music either (ofttimes, the processing is right there on the
instrument). That leaves you with either unamplified classical music
(hopefully you have a good seat) or perhaps living room acoustic
guitars.

Not much to hang your hat on.

Now, having said that, I happen to think that music similar to what
you might hear from an electric band playing in a fairly small place
is worth using as a standard. I'd include such artists as Glenn
Tilbrook with his current band, (I know that this is going to give
torresists a hard-on) The Fluffers, or perhaps Aimee Mann and her band
or even Elvis Costello (all of which I have seen in the last year and
who all sounded "right" to me) can give you a good sense of what
electric music SHOULD sound like and I expect a good meaure of the
power *and* palpability (there's THAT word again) that this sort of
music can offer to be present in my systems.

Then there are the artists that you might NEVER hear in concert and
whose music might be impossible to reproduce in concert. I listen to a
lot of music that one would never hear in a live setting.

If one *only* listens to "acoustic" classical or acoustic jazz and
folk music, then your narrow definition of what a system should
reflect will work out just fine.

I just hope that the five of you don't share the magazine amonst
yoruselves.
Arny Krueger

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

The ABX group has studied and collected recordings that make
differences more readily audible. I mentioned a compendium
of excerpts of such recordings at the HE2005 debate. These
recordings are not necessarily good-sounding or
exceptionally natural-sounding.

Arny Krueger

William Sommerwerck wrote:

If you define non-acoustic music as music that was never
played into a performance space, then I would agree. If

you
define non-acoustic music as music that not made with
traditional musical instruments and voices then I would

not
agree.

Rock music played over a huge PA system is not, to my

mind, acoustic
music.

Agreed. But what about music recorded directly from the
acoustic output of music amps?

What about music recorded directly from electrical pickups?

What about music recorded from synthesizers?

Arny Krueger

Sander deWaal wrote:
"Arny Krueger" said:

A Tesla coil ;-)

Been there, done that.

You made one too, Arny? That's cool!

A number of them of various sizes and technologies. My
largest one was based on a 304TL transmitting tube. I also
made smaller ones based on 211s.

George M. Middius

Signal said:

This just shows you how far from reality Thing is. The only $12 scam I can
think of is two cups of coffee at starbucks.

When people walk into Starbucks, there's a real openness and a focus
to behold and take in whatever may be on that counter.

That's what Alanis Morrissette says, anyway.

If those are song lyrics, you could make a case that the writer scammed
her.

robert casey

Yeah, but the problem with that approach is they can't tell what will
because they can't tell the difference between any 2 CD players or amps.
They can barely tell between 2 speakers, and then not between any speakers
that cost more than $600.

Maybe at Consumer Reports they can't, but they're not
audiophiles either. What I'm thinking of is a
mag similar to Consumer Reports but staffed with
audiophiles who can tell speakers costing more than $600
apart. Using both ABX tests and also non ABX testing
(to satisfy those who don't believe in ABX testing) and
listing results under separate columns.
George M. Middius

the rev. robert casey said:

Maybe at Consumer Reports they can't, but they're not
audiophiles either. What I'm thinking of is a
mag similar to Consumer Reports but staffed with
audiophiles who can tell speakers costing more than $600
apart. Using both ABX tests and also non ABX testing
(to satisfy those who don't believe in ABX testing) and
listing results under separate columns.

why don't you go off to idaho and start a minimalist audio cult?

Clyde Slick

"robert casey" wrote in message
ink.net...

Yeah, but the problem with that approach is they can't tell what will
because they can't tell the difference between any 2 CD players or amps.
They can barely tell between 2 speakers, and then not between any
speakers that cost more than $600.

Maybe at Consumer Reports they can't, but they're not
audiophiles either. What I'm thinking of is a
mag similar to Consumer Reports but staffed with
audiophiles who can tell speakers costing more than $600
apart. Using both ABX tests and also non ABX testing
(to satisfy those who don't believe in ABX testing) and
listing results under separate columns.

Will the employess have to buy their own lab coats,
or are they provided for free?

William Sommerwerck

If one *only* listens to "acoustic" classical or acoustic jazz and
folk music, then your narrow definition of what a system should
reflect will work out just fine.

I just hope that the five of you don't share the magazine amonst
yoruselves.

Five? I didn't know there were so many of us!

Arny Krueger said:

SET amps, anyone? Shakti Stones? Shun Mook Mpingo discs?

Bedini
Clarifiers? Power conditioners? High $ "interconnects"?

High $ power
cords? Shall I go on?

With what?

More Stereophile-approved snake oil.

I find it hysterical that there's a fued going on over the "intelligent
chip" and some people's experiences. Jim Austin is getting a rash of
**** from some of the more incredibly stupid readers who insist this
thing can do the impossible.

Some people and some magazines, either don't care or don't want to
learn.

You can be sure that when this subscription, (paid for by wife) runs
out, I won't be subjecting myself to more of the blather that is SP.

Clyde Slick

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Rock music played over a huge PA system is not,
to my mind, acoustic music.

Agreed. But what about music recorded directly from the
acoustic output of music amps?
What about music recorded directly from electrical pickups?
What about music recorded from synthesizers?

Ditto.

Well, that statement just about completely puts vocal music out of the realm
of acoustic music.

robert casey

why don't you go off to idaho and start a minimalist audio cult?

North Dakota. No neighbors, so we can blast the music and
nobody will complain.... ;-)
Arny Krueger

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Rock music played over a huge PA system is not,
to my mind, acoustic music.

Agreed. But what about music recorded directly from the
acoustic output of music amps?
What about music recorded directly from electrical

pickups?
What about music recorded from synthesizers?

Ditto.

William, tain't the first time we disagreed. ;-)

dave weil

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:14:23 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Rock music played over a huge PA system is not,
to my mind, acoustic music.

Agreed. But what about music recorded directly from the
acoustic output of music amps?
What about music recorded directly from electrical

pickups?
What about music recorded from synthesizers?

Ditto.

William, tain't the first time we disagreed. ;-)

If someone like me had listed those as sources of acoustic music, you
would have said I was crazy.

Obviously, none of those is what most of the universe considers
"acoustic music", which is usually defined as music emanating from
non-electrical instruments. Once a circuit gets in the mix (pun
intended), then the idea of "acoustic" is thrown out the window since
there's no absolute standard anymore (which is the point of demanding
it in the first place).

I'd argue though that even with acoustic music, you still have the
issue of microphone/recording medium/recording console/studio playback
monitors/production values and the recording room itself that keeps
there from being a true absolute standard anyway, which is why I think
that the idea of using "live, acoustic music" as the only standard is
not the great idea that it sounds like on first blush.

The problem with Stereophile, in a nutshell [email protected] Pro Audio 183 May 6th 06 10:14 PM
CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 09:47 AM
Does anyone know of this challenge? [email protected] High End Audio 453 June 28th 04 03:43 AM
Note to the Idiot George M. Middius Audio Opinions 222 January 8th 04 07:13 PM