Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Audiophiles gone wild

http://www.stereopal.com/HomeVisit/William.htm

highlights:
1) string instruments used a vocal enhancers ("This practice actually has a cult following among audiophiles from Hong Kong")
2) belt-driven turntable whose motor is six feet away from its platter
3) egg crates as bass diffusors
4) sheer ugliness of the room

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Barss[_2_] Andrew Barss[_2_] is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:
: http://www.stereopal.com/HomeVisit/William.htm

: highlights:
: 1) string instruments used a vocal enhancers ("This practice actually has a cult following among audiophiles from Hong Kong")
: 2) belt-driven turntable whose motor is six feet away from its platter
: 3) egg crates as bass diffusors
: 4) sheer ugliness of the room

Holey moley. I bet any woman he can lure there runs from the room shuddering.

Also note the lack of precision in aligning the egg crates with
each other. And:

5) ebony blocks placed strategically on top of and below various components.
But he forgot to lube them with snake oil, the amateur!

6) Turntable-to-motor link made with dental floss. Wonder what effect the
knot has?

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

In article ,
Andrew Barss wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
: http://www.stereopal.com/HomeVisit/William.htm

: highlights:
: 1) string instruments used a vocal enhancers ("This practice actually has a
: cult following among audiophiles from Hong Kong")
: 2) belt-driven turntable whose motor is six feet away from its platter
: 3) egg crates as bass diffusors
: 4) sheer ugliness of the room

Holey moley. I bet any woman he can lure there runs from the room
shuddering.

Hmmm. Depends on the purpose he's "luring" them there for, I would
think.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Sep 14, 10:24*am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
http://www.stereopal.com/HomeVisit/William.htm

highlights: *
1) string instruments used a vocal enhancers ("This practice actually has a cult following among audiophiles from Hong Kong")
2) belt-driven turntable whose motor is six feet away from its platter
3) egg crates as bass diffusors
4) sheer ugliness of the room

I dunno, the egg cartons give it a nice padded-cell look.

My favorite line:

"Notice the Ebony block on top of the Forsell Pre Pre amp."

How could we miss it?

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

In article , Steven Sullivan
wrote:

http://www.stereopal.com/HomeVisit/William.htm

highlights:
1) string instruments used a vocal enhancers ("This practice actually has a
cult following among audiophiles from Hong Kong")
2) belt-driven turntable whose motor is six feet away from its platter
3) egg crates as bass diffusors
4) sheer ugliness of the room

Date of report slyly noted . . .

Cheers!

Mudge

--
Life is change: How it differs from the rocks!
I've seen their ways too often for my liking.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
UnsteadyKen[_3_] UnsteadyKen[_3_] is offline

bob wrote...

I dunno, the egg cartons give it a nice padded-cell look.

The poor guys been ripped off by his dealer, they ain't egg
cartons, they're the trays that are used for packing apples.

I expect they were in a rush to get the room ready for
the date of the visit... April 1.

The 6 foot dental floss drive has possibilities.
The knot blip would only happen every 20-30 seconds.

--
Ken

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/buddyduck/

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Were it not for the date, none of this would be the slightest bit
surprising.

------- and I have to admit to having used egg-flats in my past to
control echos in a very difficult situation.

No, the women didn't run - or at least not for that reason.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] klausrampelmann@hotmail.com is offline

To some degree egg crates could perhaps be considered as Quadratic
Residue Sequence Diffusors, although I think that the wells are not
deep enough and the structure is too regular to have substantial
effects:

Zhu et al. (2004), Using optimized surface modifications to improve
low frequency response in a room”, Applied Acoustics, vol. 65, no. 9,
p.841

Zhu et al. (2006), Validation of an optimization procedure to improve
low frequency characteristics of rooms”, Applied Acoustics, vol. 67,
no. 6, p.529

Klaus

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Peter Wieck wrote:
Were it not for the date, none of this would be the slightest bit
surprising

There's no reason to believe it's an April Fool's day spoof.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

I wouldn't be surprised if the optimum sound is achieved when nobody
is in the room. All those unwanted reflections and disruptions to the
sound waves.....

;-)

On 14 Sep 2008 14:24:32 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

http://www.stereopal.com/HomeVisit/William.htm

highlights:
1) string instruments used a vocal enhancers ("This practice actually has a cult following among audiophiles from Hong Kong")
2) belt-driven turntable whose motor is six feet away from its platter
3) egg crates as bass diffusors
4) sheer ugliness of the room

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] mpresley@earthlink.net is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Peter Wieck wrote:
Were it not for the date, none of this would be the slightest bit
surprising

There's no reason to believe it's an April Fool's day spoof.

I don't know where this stuff comes from? My colleague is a very high IQ
guy with a PhD. But smart only goes so far. He owns a very good set of
speakers, a tweako amp (probably not bad--just tweako and expensive), so
he's got that going for him; in fact, he is lucky, because it could be a
lot worse for him inasmuch as he spent a lot of time hanging out at a high
end store (and reading high-end mags). On the down side, he's got those
wonderful speakers hooked up with some kind of electrical rope suspended
above the floor on glass riser-thingys that look like something you might
find on a telephone pole back in 1950. I never say anything. First, it's
not my money, and, secondly (as Theo Bikel commented in 200 Motels), with
all the terrible problems in the world, it's hard to laugh and be happy.
My friend's happy, and I get a laugh.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Sep 16, 6:39*pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
Were it not for the date, none of this would be the slightest bit
surprising

There's no reason to believe it's an April Fool's day spoof.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Um.... Ummm....

(For the sake of the moderators, I am slapping down my fingers)

Ummmm.... and do you really think that a turntable with a belt that
long, even of an "ideal" material, is going to be able to maintain a
steady speed? And if so, from a standing start, how long will it take
to stabilize? And *Dental Floss* as the belt material? Before you
answer, consider the specific use for and nature of Dental Floss.

That is only one "flaw/fly" in its ointment!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mike Gilmour[_2_] Mike Gilmour[_2_] is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

Firstly I'd guess he's not married otherwise its unlikely he'd have all
those egg cartons around.
Dental floss has been used for this purpose by audiophiles for many years,
e.g the Forsell turntable. Usually when the floss drives heavy platters it
requires a manual spin to start the platter turning. It's believed that
increasing the distance further isolates motor transfer noise to the platter
but I've seen no tests to confirm that. At least floss is a cheap 'tweak' in
audiophile terms. Personally speaking I couldn't possibly enjoy my music in
that environment.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Peter Wieck wrote:
Were it not for the date, none of this would be the slightest bit
surprising

There's no reason to believe it's an April Fool's day spoof.

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Um.... Ummm....

(For the sake of the moderators, I am slapping down my fingers)

Ummmm.... and do you really think that a turntable with a belt that
long, even of an "ideal" material, is going to be able to maintain a
steady speed? And if so, from a standing start, how long will it take
to stabilize? And *Dental Floss* as the belt material? Before you
answer, consider the specific use for and nature of Dental Floss.

Sure it *appears* wacky, but compared to the audio products sold by the apparently 'legit'
Machina Dynamica...not so much.

(OK, maybe it's a spoof, but one really can't go broke betting on the silliness of
audiophiles. Apart from classic spoofs involving gear made of 'unobtainium' or from LIRPA
labs, history would be on one's side.....)

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

If it's a spoof, it's a pretty elaborate and convincing 'staging' -- it doesn't look
photoshopped.

FWIW, I emailed the website contact asking if the April 1 entry was a fake and the dental
floss thing was a joke, and he replied:

//

Its no joke.

He uses a Verdier motor and it can utilize whatever suits the job. It use to be driven by
linen, then he tried rubber, but dental floss did the best job.

It provided more "grip" than linen.

//

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"
(1748)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:20:37 -0700, Mike Gilmour wrote
(in article ):

Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

"Common sense physics" tells me that like most everything else, this motor
isolation ploy used to extreme in the system under discussion here, is a
question of diminishing returns. There is probably a distance from the
platter at which maximum useful isolation is obtained, and then after that,
there is no further audible or measurable improvement. I don't pretend to
know what that distance is, but I bet that there are mathematical ways of
determining what that distance is.