Posted to rec.audio.high-end
powerdoc powerdoc is offline

Default Stylus wear and proper stylus cleaning

Just purchased a Stanton 681EEE and in inspecting the stylus noted
that the cantilever arm is somewhat filthy and I'd like to clean it.
182 proof rubbing alcohol got most of the grot off of it but the metal
part is still dirty. A couple of questions for the group: Can I
clean the stylus in an ultrasonic cleaner with a weak ammonia solution
like I clean watch parts or jewelry? Where can I find a picture of
what the stylus is supposed to look like under magnification to see if
it's worn and needs replacement? Please share your bad experiences
with various modes of cleaning. Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"powerdoc" wrote in message
om...
Just purchased a Stanton 681EEE and in inspecting the stylus noted
that the cantilever arm is somewhat filthy and I'd like to clean it.
182 proof rubbing alcohol got most of the grot off of it but the metal
part is still dirty. A couple of questions for the group: Can I
clean the stylus in an ultrasonic cleaner with a weak ammonia solution
like I clean watch parts or jewelry? Where can I find a picture of
what the stylus is supposed to look like under magnification to see if
it's worn and needs replacement? Please share your bad experiences
with various modes of cleaning. Thanks!

I would NOT immerse the stylus in any cleaning fluid unless you are sure
that the fluid will not affect the rubber suspension for the cantilever. For
this reason, I only ever clean the stylus itself, not the cantilever, and
never invert the cartridge when cleaning in case any cleaning fluid runs
down the cantilever into the suspension. I use Isopropyl alcohol for stylus
cleaning, but very sparingly and rarely, a dry brush is perfectly adequate
most of the time.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"powerdoc" wrote in message
om...
Just purchased a Stanton 681EEE and in inspecting the stylus noted
that the cantilever arm is somewhat filthy and I'd like to clean it.
182 proof rubbing alcohol got most of the grot off of it but the metal
part is still dirty. A couple of questions for the group: Can I
clean the stylus in an ultrasonic cleaner with a weak ammonia solution
like I clean watch parts or jewelry? Where can I find a picture of
what the stylus is supposed to look like under magnification to see if
it's worn and needs replacement? Please share your bad experiences
with various modes of cleaning. Thanks!

I'm not an expert, but I don't think ammonia and aluminum get along very
well.

There are stylus cleaning kits for little money, and there are ultrasonic
vibrators designed specifically to clean stylii in place.

As to the stylus....any magnifier of sufficient strength should let you look
at it...you simply don't want to see chips or flat spots on any of the
curved radii at the stylus tip.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Sep 6, 11:45=A0am, powerdoc wrote:
Just purchased a Stanton 681EEE and in inspecting the stylus noted
that the cantilever arm is somewhat filthy and I'd like to clean it.
182 proof rubbing alcohol got most of the grot off of it but the metal
part is still dirty. =A0A couple of questions for the group: =A0Can I
clean the stylus in an ultrasonic cleaner with a weak ammonia solution
like I clean watch parts or jewelry? =A0Where can I find a picture of
what the stylus is supposed to look like under magnification to see if
it's worn and needs replacement? =A0Please share your bad experiences
with various modes of cleaning. Thanks!

There are a couple of things that could going on that suggest that you
replace the stylus out-of-hand. If they apply to you, judge as you see
fit:

* The stylus cantelever fits into a "rubber" grommet. This may have
aged or decayed over the years such that it is too stiff to suit the
purpose any longer - if your stylus is more than 10 years old or was
in a harsh ozone-rich environment, think about this.

* An ultra-sonic cleaner might work, at the same time, it might just
separate the stylus holder into it individual parts - see "10 years"
above. On the other hand, you will be no worse off if this happens -
you would have had to replace it anyway.

* Ammonia attacks aluminum - many cantelevers are made from aluminum.
Ammonia also attacks some types of rubber. Watches and clocks with
geared movements typically have no aluminum parts.

You might try, of all things, WD-40 on an artist's brush. It is highly
refined very light kerosene (Stoddard's solvent) and a good grease
cutter and over time it is 100% volatile. Further, it is pretty easy
on most forms of rubber. I would typically suggest acetone, but that
attacks all sorts of plastics, as does stove alcohol (methanol). Both
methanol and ethanol attack aluminum as well - albeit very slowly.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 08:45:23 -0700, powerdoc wrote
(in article ) :

Just purchased a Stanton 681EEE and in inspecting the stylus noted
that the cantilever arm is somewhat filthy and I'd like to clean it.
182 proof rubbing alcohol got most of the grot off of it but the metal
part is still dirty. A couple of questions for the group: Can I
clean the stylus in an ultrasonic cleaner with a weak ammonia solution
like I clean watch parts or jewelry? Where can I find a picture of
what the stylus is supposed to look like under magnification to see if
it's worn and needs replacement? Please share your bad experiences
with various modes of cleaning. Thanks!

1) I wouldn't immerse the entire stylus unit in liquid for ultrasonic
cleaning were I you. The ammonia might damage the suspension parts. I don't
know that it will, but it's certainly possible that it could.

2) Alcohol and a soft brush should be enough to clean both the stylus and the
cantilever. Use a gentle fore-and-aft motion, not side-to-side.

3) A bit of detritus on the cantilever is not so important as long as the
stylus is clean.

4) Under magnification, the stylus should be smooth from the cantilever down
to the tip. IIRC, the 681EEE is an eliptical stylus shape and should be an
unbroken arc from shoulder to tip. Any "step" along that arc indicates wear
where the stylus intersects the record groove and means that the stylus
should be replaced. Being eliptical, the stylus should be thinner
front-to-back than it is across the front.

I suspect, due to the mature of your questions, that you have purchased this
cartridge used. Be advised that air pollution and heat from the friction of
the stylus against the record grooves causes any rubber used in the stylus
suspension to ossify or harden over time compromising performance greatly.

The Needle Doctor still has replacement styli for the Stanton 681EEE for $70.
You could do worse than simply replace the old stylus. Especially if you
don't really know its age and condition.

http://tinyurl.com/54pk9v

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] mpresley@earthlink.net is offline

powerdoc wrote:

Just purchased a Stanton 681EEE and in inspecting the stylus noted
that the cantilever arm is somewhat filthy and I'd like to clean it.
182 proof rubbing alcohol got most of the grot off of it but the metal
part is still dirty.

I don't use the stuff, myself, but beware that "rubbing" alcohol may have
additives that might not be helpful for stylus cleaning.

A couple of questions for the group: Can I
clean the stylus in an ultrasonic cleaner with a weak ammonia solution
like I clean watch parts or jewelry?

Ammonia is good for floors and toilets. Not so sure what it would do to a
stylus assembly. Better stick with something more appropriate.

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_sc4.asp

Where can I find a picture of
what the stylus is supposed to look like under magnification to see if
it's worn and needs replacement?

You need a microscope.

http://www.micrographia.com/projec/p...y/viny0300.htm

Michael