Posted to rec.audio.high-end
claus claus is offline

Default Re-creating great performances

"Imagine hearing great, departed pianists play again today, just as they
would in person. John Q. Walker demonstrates how recordings can be analyzed
for precise keystrokes and pedal motions, then played back on
computer-controlled grand pianos."

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/j...formances.html

After listening to the above talk on TED, I sent for the ZENPH
"Re-Performance" CD "Art Tatum - Piano Starts Here" to hear it would on my
system (Martin Logan Aeon-is powered by a Denon). I really did not have high
expectations...

However, the sound of the recording made in the Shrine Auditorium "blew me
away" - in a sense, closing my eyes, it was as if Art Tatum and his piano
had somehow materialized in my listening space.

Even more compelling was listening with a pair of AKG electrostatic
headphones to the binaural recording on the second half of the CD.

Obviously this "re-performance" is bound to be a highly controversial among
audiophiles!!!

Here is a link to an article about the Zenph technology:
http://tinyurl.com/6asqcc

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:06:10 -0700, claus wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I have the Zemph "Glenn Gould's Bach "Goldberg Variations" re-performance
and I agree. The recording is simply stunning.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
anthony anthony is offline

On Sep 3, 11:22 am, Sonnova wrote:

I have the Zemph "Glenn Gould's Bach "Goldberg Variations" re-performance
and I agree. The recording is simply stunning.

The comments on the Amazon.com site from other buyers totally disagree
with you. I guess I'll have to hear it to decide for myself -- but
since I'm happy with my old recording, I probably never will.... I
imagine the re-recording of the Tatum could be more rewarding...
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:50:04 -0700, anthony wrote
(in article ):

On Sep 3, 11:22 am, Sonnova wrote:

I have the Zemph "Glenn Gould's Bach "Goldberg Variations" re-performance
and I agree. The recording is simply stunning.

The comments on the Amazon.com site from other buyers totally disagree
with you. I guess I'll have to hear it to decide for myself -- but
since I'm happy with my old recording, I probably never will.... I
imagine the re-recording of the Tatum could be more rewarding...

It would be interesting to note what these "other buyers" are looking for in
a recording, so I read the reviews on Amazon to which you referred.

Basically, the biggest complaints seem to come from Gould aficionados. I
agree that compared to the actual 1955 recording, there are differences. No,
the piano is not the same, yes, the playing is a bit different. The recording
sounds like Gould, but just not that 1955 recording that the re-performance
purports to mimic. Someone in one of the customer reviews said that it
sounded like a competent Gould imitator and that is probably fair.

What is stunning about this disc to me is that the recording SOUNDS superb.
It is easily the best piano recording I've heard. Through a good set of
speakers (such as the M-L CLX's) the piano is right there in your room! With
the binaural recording, the palpability is thrilling (too bad headphones are
so non-rewarding in all other ways. Personally, I've never found a pair that
I found comfortable for the long-haul or convincing on anything but very
carefully recorded binaural material).

I'm not a Gould acolyte. He was a good pianist, but IMHO, he wasn't god.
Rubinstein was a good pianist so was Horowitz and Richter, so is Murray
Pariah, Van Cliburn etc. Gould died young and became somewhat of a martyr.
Those who need martyrs in their lives may well be hyper-critical of this
Zemph re-recording. I'll leave the shortcomings in the Gould technique
evident in this recording to them.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] mpresley@earthlink.net is offline

Sonnova wrote:

I have the Zemph "Glenn Gould's Bach "Goldberg Variations" re-performance
and I agree. The recording is simply stunning.

Did they use the "Glenn Gould Noise Filter" during the processing? [I hate
to explain the joke, but I remember that one from an old Rodriguez (sp?)
cartoon in the erstwhile Stereo Review. What a hoot!]

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
anthony anthony is offline

On Sep 5, 1:20 am, "
wrote:
Sonnova wrote:
I have the Zemph "Glenn Gould's Bach "Goldberg Variations" re-performance
and I agree. The recording is simply stunning.

Did they use the "Glenn Gould Noise Filter" during the processing? [I hate
to explain the joke, but I remember that one from an old Rodriguez (sp?)
cartoon in the erstwhile Stereo Review. What a hoot!]

Michael

Judging from the description of the process, all the special Gould
noises we love (or loathe) so much will be totally missing!

pitch-correction in live performances? [email protected] Pro Audio 47 April 4th 07 06:23 AM
Some help with creating music ? Morvak Pro Audio 5 February 13th 07 09:28 PM
Rock Star SUPERMIME: Performances (8/29/06) RD Jones Pro Audio 3 September 7th 06 07:07 PM
Creating Audio CD Mickey Mouse Tech 0 December 2nd 04 02:12 AM
Creating my own box Courtney Car Audio 2 June 15th 04 07:31 PM