Posted to rec.audio.tubes
JoeSkrote

Default Loth-X Ion BS1 still a good deal?

Found a Canadian outfit (Song Audio) that bought up remaining stocks of
Loth-X speakers and is selling the BS1 for $795/pair Canadian (about
$715 US). Song also offers a modified version of the speaker for the
same price. The BS1 is the right size for my needs and received good
reviews (the ones I found online, that is). Is it still a good deal? Is
anyone familar with the mod? Are there good alternatives (bookshelf
size, very high efficiency, not a kit) available elsewhere? Thanks in
advance for any help.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

JoeSkrote wrote:
Found a Canadian outfit (Song Audio) that bought up remaining stocks of
Loth-X speakers and is selling the BS1 for $795/pair Canadian (about
$715 US). Song also offers a modified version of the speaker for the
same price. The BS1 is the right size for my needs and received good
reviews (the ones I found online, that is). Is it still a good deal? Is
anyone familar with the mod? Are there good alternatives (bookshelf
size, very high efficiency, not a kit) available elsewhere? Thanks in
advance for any help.

As Johnny Mercer said, "Something's got to give".

"Bookshelf size" and "very high efficiency" just don't go together.
The Loth-X were some of the rudest little speakers I have ever heard.
Most of the people who bought them tended to 1) like no highs no lows
no dynamic range music and 2) use cow****ed SET "signal
crapper-uppers", and in their dysfunctional brains the combination was
good. It made a sound they liked but it bore only a remote relationship
with the program material.