Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Randy Randy is offline

Default Shelf System Recommendation

Hi,
Looking at giving a shelf system as a gift for my mother. Would like
something akin to the Bose Wave radio, but am unwilling to shell out
$500 for this product. Would like to stay between $300 and $400 and am
looking for something relatively small and stylish (i.e. not something
that a teenage boy would have in his bedroom). One major catch - I
need it to have some sort of audio input (e.g. RCA red/white) so that
we can run the digital cable box into it for playing the music
stations.

Any recommendations?
Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article .com,
"Randy" wrote:

Hi,
Looking at giving a shelf system as a gift for my mother. Would like
something akin to the Bose Wave radio, but am unwilling to shell out
$500 for this product. Would like to stay between $300 and $400 and am
looking for something relatively small and stylish (i.e. not something
that a teenage boy would have in his bedroom). One major catch - I
need it to have some sort of audio input (e.g. RCA red/white) so that
we can run the digital cable box into it for playing the music
stations.

Any recommendations?

Does it need to play cds? If not, Music Hall, Tivoli, Cambridge Audio.
There are too many microsystems to keep up with, but Denon is worth a
look.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Randy" wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,
Looking at giving a shelf system as a gift for my mother.
Would like something akin to the Bose Wave radio, but am
unwilling to shell out $500 for this product. Would like
to stay between $300 and $400 and am looking for
something relatively small and stylish (i.e. not
something that a teenage boy would have in his bedroom).
One major catch - I need it to have some sort of audio
input (e.g. RCA red/white) so that we can run the digital
cable box into it for playing the music stations.

Any recommendations?

Sure, pick up a low-cost stereo receiver (say the Sherwood that I use) and a
good pair of small high quality speakers, for example those sold for about
$200 a pair by PSB or Paradigm.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Gordon MacPherson Gordon MacPherson is offline

Randy wrote:
Hi,
Looking at giving a shelf system as a gift for my mother. Would like
something akin to the Bose Wave radio, but am unwilling to shell out
$500 for this product. Would like to stay between $300 and $400 and am
looking for something relatively small and stylish (i.e. not something
that a teenage boy would have in his bedroom). One major catch - I
need it to have some sort of audio input (e.g. RCA red/white) so that
we can run the digital cable box into it for playing the music
stations.

Any recommendations?
Thanks

I have the Creative 740 Soundworks Radio CD (Amazon UK £179). This is a
Bose look-a-like with excellent sound and DVD playing.

Gordon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] allaboutchemistry@hotmail.com is offline

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
Randy wrote:
Hi,
Looking at giving a shelf system as a gift for my mother. Would like
something akin to the Bose Wave radio, but am unwilling to shell out
$500 for this product. Would like to stay between $300 and $400 and am
looking for something relatively small and stylish (i.e. not something
that a teenage boy would have in his bedroom). One major catch - I
need it to have some sort of audio input (e.g. RCA red/white) so that
we can run the digital cable box into it for playing the music
stations.

Any recommendations?
Thanks

I have the Creative 740 Soundworks Radio CD (Amazon UK £179). This is a
Bose look-a-like with excellent sound and DVD playing.

Agree. To clarify the above, the Soundworks radio/CD player will not
play DVDs. US price is about $350 he

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=c174rcnb

The following may interest US shoppers:

You can find new Creative Soundworks 740 units for $250 he

http://www.ebay.com

If you don't need to play CDs, here are some good deals:

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...gory=aud_radio

Looking at the above, it looks like there are some new models coming
that will receive HD radio.

Amazon.com, eBay, and other web sellers might be worth checking too.

In a similar size, the Polk I-Sonic will play DVDs, XM (with a
subscription) and HD radio, CDs, AM/FM, and probably some other stuff
I've forgotten, but it's $600 USD. (I mention this in case somebody
needs a table radio that will play DVDs.) It's a new model and I
haven't seen anyone discount it.

Denon and Onkyo also make some nice 3-piece shelf systems that should
be in your price range.

Note to UK readers: If you're in the UK, I suggest you look at current
and back issues of What HiFi? magazine. They're in the UK and they
review small systems like the kind we're discussing. Also available on
large US newsstands, Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.

Gordon

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 06:33 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
FS: Tannoy System 10 Studio Monitor Speakers Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 September 5th 03 04:33 AM