Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
David

Default patch cable help/question

Does anyone know if an 1/8" male stereo to 1/4" male stereo cable
exists? I can't seem to find one anywhere via online sellers or retail
(Radioshack, etc)

I certainly have the capability through adapters to make this happen
but I'm looking to simplify connecting an MP3 recorder to a 1/4" stereo
out....i.e. headphone out.

Thanks,
David

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
George Gleason

"David" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know if an 1/8" male stereo to 1/4" male stereo cable
exists? I can't seem to find one anywhere via online sellers or retail
(Radioshack, etc)

I certainly have the capability through adapters to make this happen
but I'm looking to simplify connecting an MP3 recorder to a 1/4" stereo
out....i.e. headphone out.

Thanks,
David

David if you cant find one I will make one up for you
20$ includes shipping, up to 20 feet long
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger

"David" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know if an 1/8" male stereo to 1/4" male stereo cable
exists? I can't seem to find one anywhere via online sellers or retail
(Radioshack, etc)

The usual off-the-shelf solution is to use a 1/8" male-to-male patch cable
with a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor on one end.

The cable is very easy to make yourself from an off-the-shelf 1/8" patch
cable with one end cut off and replaced with the 1/4 plug.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
Mike Rivers

David wrote:
Does anyone know if an 1/8" male stereo to 1/4" male stereo cable
exists? I can't seem to find one anywhere via online sellers or retail
(Radioshack, etc)

Markertek Part number CMS-110. 10 feet long, $6.99
http://tinyurl.com/85hpk

I'm kind of surprised that Radio Shack doesn't have it, but I checked
the catalog and they don't. If you decide (time, shipping cost, PITA,
etc.) to go the adapter route, get a cable with mini plugs on both ends
and put the adapter in the 1/4" jack. If you do it the other way,
you're likely to bust the jack mini jack from the weight of the cable
plus the adapter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
Scott Dorsey

David wrote:
Does anyone know if an 1/8" male stereo to 1/4" male stereo cable
exists? I can't seem to find one anywhere via online sellers or retail
(Radioshack, etc)

Sure. Markertek will make you up some. Or make your own.

I certainly have the capability through adapters to make this happen
but I'm looking to simplify connecting an MP3 recorder to a 1/4" stereo
out....i.e. headphone out.

Okay.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
-MIKE-

http://tinyurl.com/dxrgj

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
David

-MIKE- wrote:
David wrote:
Does anyone know if an 1/8" male stereo to 1/4" male stereo cable
exists? I can't seem to find one anywhere via online sellers or retail
(Radioshack, etc)

I certainly have the capability through adapters to make this happen
but I'm looking to simplify connecting an MP3 recorder to a 1/4" stereo
out....i.e. headphone out.

Thanks,
David

http://tinyurl.com/dxrgj

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike! You are THE MAN! I was at that site earlier...and 4 or 5
others. DUH!....or is that D'OH!

Thanks so much.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
Mike Rivers

David wrote:

Mike! You are THE MAN! I was at that site earlier...and 4 or 5
others. DUH!....or is that D'OH!

And it's even 49 cents cheaper than the Markertek link that I posted.
Go for it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
Walker

"David" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know if an 1/8" male stereo to 1/4" male stereo cable
exists? I can't seem to find one anywhere via online sellers or retail
(Radioshack, etc)

I certainly have the capability through adapters to make this happen
but I'm looking to simplify connecting an MP3 recorder to a 1/4" stereo
out....i.e. headphone out.

Thanks,
David

Try these:
http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...-brand-74.html for a stereo
1/4" to 1/8" cable or
http://www.ceitron.com/audio/acable.html for a mono cable

Bob Walker

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
George Gleason

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...

David wrote:

Mike! You are THE MAN! I was at that site earlier...and 4 or 5
others. DUH!....or is that D'OH!

And it's even 49 cents cheaper than the Markertek link that I posted.
Go for it.

Maybe I should market mine as directional "King Kong Kables" perhaps I could
sell them for 300$ each then
:-)
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
-MIKE-

David wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/dxrgj

Mike! You are THE MAN! I was at that site earlier...and 4 or 5
others. DUH!....or is that D'OH!

Thanks so much.

You just have to know the right words to look up. Everyone seems to use
different terminology, regardless of what AES standards are. 1/8, mini,
3.5mm, 1/4, phono, stereo, mono, 2 conductor, three conductor. I spent years
buying and building all kinds of cables/connectors, so I'm used to it.
Half the guys selling the stuff aren't aware of what it's being called
in their own catalogs. :-)

BTW, there are much nicer (and more expensive) stereo 1/8-1/4 cables out
there that use shielded cable and soldered connectors. Some have
right-angle 1/8 ends.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
TimPerry

Maybe I should market mine as directional "King Kong Kables" perhaps I

could
sell them for 300$ each then
:-)
George

just say they are 'digital ready"

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc

Just one word of warning. The description of this cable is rather
sparse and some of these stereo mini-phone cables are designed for
headphone use and are NOT shielded and will not work for signal lines.
I'd try to find a Hosa spec to be sure. I know I had that problem with
a cable that I bought for this purpose. It sure LOOKED like a signal
cable but wasn't.

Benj

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.percussion,rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com...

Just one word of warning. The description of this cable is rather
sparse and some of these stereo mini-phone cables are designed for
headphone use and are NOT shielded and will not work for signal lines.

Pshaw. When a line-level source is driving a line with an output Z of 100
ohms or less, IME shielding isn't that much of a big deal. A lot of modern
headphone jacks are driven with a source Z of 16 ohms or less.

Cable shielding is like a Faraday shield - primarily protects against
picking up noise via capacitance. A low impedance line forces significant
pickup of noise into the high frequency realms - very high frequencies.

Shielding is very relevant for very long lines, very low-level signals and
high impedances. But, headphone jacks are none of these.