Roger Thorpe

Default What is meant by 'timing'

About the only hardware reviews I read are those in the back pages of a
music magazine that used to be reliable (a decade ago) but has now been
taken over by the gullible rehashers of press releases.
What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky Thumpolux transistor
radio, now available at 'only' 180 euros with real wood veneer, has
excellent 'timing'
--
Roger
My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

Roger Thorpe wrote:
About the only hardware reviews I read are those in the back pages of a
music magazine that used to be reliable (a decade ago) but has now been
taken over by the gullible rehashers of press releases.
What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky Thumpolux transistor
radio, now available at 'only' 180 euros with real wood veneer, has
excellent 'timing'

Means nothing. But it's just the sort of unverifiable, untestable
nonsense that some audio writers indulge in.

I'm in the US and we have the same sort of nonsense in the high-end
audio press here also. I've also seen it in the UK audio press. I've
also seen reviews of audio components where their "rhythm" is
discussed. In my world, any "rhythm" or "timing" is in the recorded
music I'm listening to, not in the audio components.

My advice: Ignore nonsense like this.

Roger
My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
ups.com
Roger Thorpe wrote:
About the only hardware reviews I read are those in the
back pages of a music magazine that used to be reliable
(a decade ago) but has now been taken over by the
gullible rehashers of press releases.
What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky
Thumpolux transistor radio, now available at 'only' 180
euros with real wood veneer, has excellent 'timing'

Means nothing. But it's just the sort of unverifiable,
untestable nonsense that some audio writers indulge in.

I'm in the US and we have the same sort of nonsense in
the high-end audio press here also. I've also seen it in
the UK audio press. I've also seen reviews of audio
components where their "rhythm" is discussed. In my
world, any "rhythm" or "timing" is in the recorded music
I'm listening to, not in the audio components.

My advice: Ignore nonsense like this.

Agreed. When you hear about stuff like pace and timing, know
that the speaker of those words (if he's seriouis) is
putting on airs.

George Middius

The Krooborg's klass envy implant is acting up again.

Agreed.

Feces.

When you hear about stuff like pace and timing, know
that the speaker of those words (if he's seriouis[sic]) is
putting on airs.

Translated from the Kroopaganda, Arnii doesn't get the high end. That's OK,
though, because high end merchandise is not aimed at the likes of Arnii Krooger.
It's marketed to Normals of sufficiently high station in life who are able to
appreciate it.

No fine dining for 'borgs. No high-performance automobiles either. 'Borgs live
in society's cellar. Krooger's krackpot rationalizations for the supposed
"inferiority" of all the best goods are simply the stuff of class envy.

..
..
..

Margaret von B.

"George Middius" wrote in message

No fine dining for 'borgs. No high-performance automobiles either.

Now now, George. It is not just another Ford minivan, it *is* a Mercury. :-)

Cheers,

Margaret

Roger Thorpe

George Middius wrote:

The Krooborg's klass envy implant is acting up again.

Agreed.

Feces.

When you hear about stuff like pace and timing, know
that the speaker of those words (if he's seriouis[sic]) is
putting on airs.

Translated from the Kroopaganda, Arnii doesn't get the high end. That's OK,
though, because high end merchandise is not aimed at the likes of Arnii Krooger.
It's marketed to Normals of sufficiently high station in life who are able to
appreciate it.

No fine dining for 'borgs. No high-performance automobiles either. 'Borgs live
in society's cellar. Krooger's krackpot rationalizations for the supposed
"inferiority" of all the best goods are simply the stuff of class envy.

How useful is this reply supposed to be?
--
Roger

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!
George Middius

Roger Thorpe said:

Translated from the Kroopaganda, Arnii doesn't get the high end. That's OK,
though, because high end merchandise is not aimed at the likes of Arnii
Krooger. It's marketed to Normals of sufficiently high station in life who
are able to appreciate it.

No fine dining for 'borgs. No high-performance automobiles either. 'Borgs
live in society's cellar. Krooger's krackpot rationalizations for the supposed
"inferiority" of all the best goods are simply the stuff of class envy.

How useful is this reply supposed to be?

I can see I'm casting pearls before swine. Can you oink in an up tempo?

..
..
..
..

Roger Thorpe

George Middius wrote:

I can see I'm casting pearls before swine. Can you oink in an up tempo?

Ok, I'll just let that insult pass, tell me though what do you really
understand by that term when used in HIFI reviews? I ask because I
wonder if it has some agreed interpretation, I can understand how
'presence' means a little mid-frequency emphasis, 'warmth' probably
means a little low-mid emphasis, but I am often confronted by the words
'slam' 'speed and 'timing' and before I write my letter to the editor
(it's Gramophone that I'm talking about by the way) I thought I ought to
find out.

--
Roger

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!
George Middius

Roger Thorpe said:

I can see I'm casting pearls before swine. Can you oink in an up tempo?

Ok, I'll just let that insult pass,

I detect the aroma of 'borg. Are you metronic?

tell me though what do you really
understand by that term when used in HIFI reviews?

If the reviewer says the "pace" is "good", I understand he likes the device. If
he says the "timing" is "bad", I understand he doesn't like it.

I ask because I
wonder if it has some agreed interpretation, I can understand how
'presence' means a little mid-frequency emphasis, 'warmth' probably
means a little low-mid emphasis, but I am often confronted by the words
'slam' 'speed and 'timing' and before I write my letter to the editor
(it's Gramophone that I'm talking about by the way) I thought I ought to
find out.

Furthermore, I understand that dyed-in-the-wool nerds do not take to subjective
evaluations because those evaluations are based on feelings rather than dry M&M
rituals.

If the words in question don't evoke recognizable impressions for you, you could
just disregard them. That's what I do. However, I am not hung up on finding some
mythical "absolute accuracy" in ***subjective*** reviews, whereas you might be
so hung up.

Subjective reviews are not for everybody. You might be closer kin to the Bug
Eater than to Normals. If so, you would believe that you can determine exactly
how a component will sound in your system either by examining the published
specifications or running a bunch of "tests" with probes and meters.

..
..
..

Howard Ferstler

Arny Krueger wrote:

When you hear about stuff like pace and timing, know
that the speaker of those words (if he's seriouis) is
putting on airs.

Or selling stuff, or simply dumb.

Howard Ferstler

dave weil

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:41:57 -0500, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

When you hear about stuff like pace and timing, know
that the speaker of those words (if he's seriouis) is
putting on airs.

Or selling stuff, or simply dumb.

Boy, that was a speedy return after a "good by", Mr. Professional
Writer.

BTW, how's YOUR sphincter these days? Still tight as a tick?

Roger Thorpe

George Middius wrote:

Furthermore, I understand that dyed-in-the-wool nerds do not take to subjective
evaluations because those evaluations are based on feelings rather than dry M&M
rituals.

If the words in question don't evoke recognizable impressions for you, you could
just disregard them. That's what I do. However, I am not hung up on finding some
mythical "absolute accuracy" in ***subjective*** reviews, whereas you might be
so hung up.

Subjective reviews are not for everybody. You might be closer kin to the Bug
Eater than to Normals. If so, you would believe that you can determine exactly
how a component will sound in your system either by examining the published
specifications or running a bunch of "tests" with probes and meters.

You're right, I suppose that I do belong in the nerd group, I think that
what has irritated me is that the reviewers and audio editor changed a
few years ago and the technical description of the equipment has been
replaced by this "subjective" approach. I don't really want to be drawn
into the flame war that seems to blight this forum, but I would like
some of the reviewers to justify their observations and have at least
undergraduate level understanding of electronics and mechanics. I am
enough of a scientist to know that my own opinions on the sound of a
piece of audio equipment can be prejudiced by how big and shiny it is,
how much I paid for it and how good looking the company rep was.

--
Roger

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!
Ruud Broens

"Roger Thorpe" wrote in message

I am
: enough of a scientist to know that my own opinions on the sound of a
: piece of audio equipment can be prejudiced by how big and shiny it is,
: how much I paid for it and how good looking the company rep was.
:
:
: --
: Roger

heh, you buy your gear at "the audio twins", too ?
:-)
Rudy
and out

John Atkinson

Roger Thorpe wrote:
What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky Thumpolux transistor
radio, now available at 'only' 180 euros with real wood veneer, has
excellent 'timing'

Martin Colloms wrote about this phenomenon for Stereophile in 1992.
See http://www.stereophile.com/reference/23/.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Robert Morein

Default Subjectivist vocabulary

"Roger Thorpe" wrote in message
About the only hardware reviews I read are those in the back pages of a
music magazine that used to be reliable (a decade ago) but has now been
taken over by the gullible rehashers of press releases.
What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky Thumpolux transistor
radio, now available at 'only' 180 euros with real wood veneer, has
excellent 'timing'
--
Roger
My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

It is a subjective term. While from the technical pov it has no merit, it is
a good way for a subjectively sensitive listener to communicate to another
person with a shared vocabulary. I would interpret this to mean that the
bass appears to resemble that of the actual recording, rather than having
points of emphasis that are distinguishable as independent features.
Antonyms of "excellent timing" include "bloated", "slow", "boomy", or
"hollow".

Suppose this term did not exist, and instead, the magazine presented
technical measurements. This would present the subjective aesthete with the
need to translate the graph into what he might expect to hear. Many or most
people are not equipped, either by training or inclination, to do this.

Even though the term has no valid direct technical interpretation, it is
still a highly valuable shorthand for communicating to others with a shared
vocabulary. The term also has the merit of self-definition. The meaing can
be inferred ithout the need to resort to a reference text.

George M. Middius

Thing Shelleyed:

Does Atkinson promise not to fart while you are kissing his sleazy ass?

sniff sniff sniff

I think surf was right.

Robert Morein

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message news

Thing Shelleyed:

Does Atkinson promise not to fart while you are kissing his sleazy ass?

sniff sniff sniff

I think surf was right.

What is surf's position regarding McCarty sockpuppets?

Robert Morein

oups.com...

John Atkinson wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:
What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky Thumpolux transistor
radio, now available at 'only' 180 euros with real wood veneer, has
excellent 'timing'

Martin Colloms wrote about this phenomenon for Stereophile in 1992.
See http://www.stereophile.com/reference/23/.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

John, you've just been dissed by Brian L. McCarty.

George M. Middius wrote:
Thing Shelleyed:

Does Atkinson promise not to fart while you are kissing his sleazy ass?

sniff sniff sniff

lol!

Robert Morein wrote:
oups.com...

John Atkinson wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:
What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky Thumpolux transistor
radio, now available at 'only' 180 euros with real wood veneer, has
excellent 'timing'

Martin Colloms wrote about this phenomenon for Stereophile in 1992.
See http://www.stereophile.com/reference/23/.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

John, you've just been dissed by Brian L. McCarty.

And had your ass kissed by Margaret von B

dizzy

On 3 Nov 2005 12:01:53 -0800, George Middius
wrote:

If the reviewer says the "pace" is "good", I understand he likes the device. If
he says the "timing" is "bad", I understand he doesn't like it.

LOL

Clyde Slick

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you so much for honoring this NG with your presence, you sleazy
****.

And you can honor us by bottom posting.

"George Middius" wrote in message

The Krooborg's klass envy implant is acting up again.

Agreed.

Feces.

When you hear about stuff like pace and timing, know
that the speaker of those words (if he's seriouis[sic]) is
putting on airs.

Translated from the Kroopaganda, Arnii doesn't get the high end.

Tranlated from Midiotese, anybody who understands that bull**** is bull****
when talking about audio, should be mocked because they obviously know too
much.

That's OK,
though, because high end merchandise is not aimed at the likes of Arnii
Krooger.

Smart people?

It's marketed to Normals of sufficiently high station in life who are able
appreciate it.

Stupid people with money?

No fine dining for 'borgs.

No high-performance automobiles either. 'Borgs live
in society's cellar. Krooger's krackpot rationalizations for the supposed
"inferiority" of all the best goods are simply the stuff of class envy.

In other words if you know that highend audio is about snake oil, bull****
and lies, then you obviously can't be in our club of snobby, tight assed
foolish **** heads.

It's important to allow yourself to be so devoid of reason that you will
accept any kind of crap the sales droids try to spoon feed you.

The problem of course is that there are plenty of people with astoundingly
good hi fi systems, that do know better than to fall into the trap of the
high end it's itmust be expenisve to be good club.

.
.

Or by ****ting on your face.

Clyde Slick wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you so much for honoring this NG with your presence, you sleazy
****.

And you can honor us by bottom posting.

George M. Middius

Default A bug eater's life

Poor Mickey. I'm feeling a little regret over the way I keep kicking you.

That's OK, though, because high end merchandise is not aimed at the likes
of Arnii Krooger.

Smart people?

I don't know what you're grunting and straining to get out, Mickey, but I
do feel compassion for your pain.

It's marketed to Normals of sufficiently high station in life who are able
to appreciate it.

Stupid people with money?

I think all the Normals should take a breath here and reflect on whether
we've been overly mean to poor Mikey. As Morein has noted, poor Mikey is a
Special Person. Perhaps, instead of continually mocking and spanking him,
we should coddle him a little more. After all, he's obviously oblivious to
how Normals perceive him. He doesn't realize we're expending effort to
humor him; he believes we feel challenged by his inchoate mutterings.

Mickey, I am a little sorry for some of the meaner things I've said about
you. On some occasions, I went further than your nastiness warranted. I
realize you can't help being a basket case, and I should make a greater
effort to indulge you when you throw your tantrums and foam at the mouth.
Perhaps in the future, I'll be able to maintain a higher standard of
tolerance when you turn into Mr. Mikey-Hyde.

Robert Morein

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you so much for honoring this NG with your presence, you sleazy
****.

And you can honor us by bottom posting.

Clyde, it's Bwian.

Clyde Slick

[...]

As a compassionate conservative, I will join in. As long as I don't
have to hear form Mikey about how road systems can be developed without
the underlying threat of eminent domain.

Clyde Slick

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you so much for honoring this NG with your presence, you sleazy
****.

And you can honor us by bottom posting.

Clyde, it's Bwian.

or torresists.

Your choice.
A greasemonkey or an ice dream soda jerk.

Robert Morein

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you so much for honoring this NG with your presence, you sleazy
****.

And you can honor us by bottom posting.

Clyde, it's Bwian.

or torresists.

Your choice.
A greasemonkey or an ice dream soda jerk.

George reminded me, it's a pre-existing McCarty sockpuppet.
He dragged it out because he wishes he had a lawyer right now.

Robert Morein

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you so much for honoring this NG with your presence, you sleazy
****.

And you can honor us by bottom posting.

Clyde, it's Bwian.

or torresists.

Your choice.
A greasemonkey or an ice dream soda jerk.

Bwian's been dragging out all his bedraggled sockpuppets. Afew of us got
emails from "Michael Conzo", a really old one, so the resurrection of
"Welch" is just more digging into the pile of Bwian's decrepit toys.
The next one will probably be a kewpie doll.

Robert Morein

[...]

I have a very strong image of how Mikey is in person. His face is rather
expressionless, and he talks in the unmodulated, obsessive way of a
borderline autistic. He bores everyone. His face is slack and unlined,
because he never uses it. Mikey could be that guy behind the cold cuts
counter, sawing away at the beef cuts from 9 to 5. His two most precise
tools are a carving knife, which he wipes clean on his apron from time to
time, and a Radio Shack sound level meter, which he scrapes clean with the
carving knife. His dull life explains why he considers it high society
excitement to be booted about like a pigskin on rao.

I suggest that when anyone of us puts it to Mikey in a particularly poignant
way, the appropriate sign of approbation should be "Goal!"

Robert Morein

wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

When you hear about stuff like pace and timing, know
that the speaker of those words (if he's seriouis) is
putting on airs.

Or selling stuff, or simply dumb.

Boy, that was a speedy return after a "good by", Mr. Professional
Writer.

BTW, how's YOUR sphincter these days? Still tight as a tick?

I doubt it. If it's anything like his mouth, it's constantly dribbling.

Robert Morein

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:55:19 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you so much for honoring this NG with your presence, you sleazy
****.

And you can honor us by bottom posting.
Clyde, it's Bwian.

or torresists.

Your choice.
A greasemonkey or an ice dream soda jerk.

Bwian's been dragging out all his bedraggled sockpuppets. Afew of us got
emails from "Michael Conzo", a really old one, so the resurrection of
"Welch" is just more digging into the pile of Bwian's decrepit toys.
The next one will probably be a kewpie doll.

The above posting is from a man who is certifiable.

He should be posting in alt.lunatics.conspiracy-theories

surf

why so angry dick?

why all the trouble of using an overseas IP address ?

how's the bike biz?

Roger Thorpe

John Atkinson wrote:
Roger Thorpe wrote:

What do they mean when they say that Crasnovorsky Thumpolux transistor
radio, now available at 'only' 180 euros with real wood veneer, has
excellent 'timing'

Martin Colloms wrote about this phenomenon for Stereophile in 1992.
See http://www.stereophile.com/reference/23/.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Thanks,
What he seems to be proposing as that technically accurate reproduction
can fail to give a sense of rhythm in music, while a less transparent
medium can convey more information. Is that it?
He doesn't propose any mechanism by which this might happen, though. I
suppose that is a reductionism /wholeist issue. Might it be that when
people talk about this they are thinking of 'beat' rather than rhythm,
which is conveyed by low frequencies, possibly below the useful range of
their loudspeakers? I suspect that a less 'true' system might introduce
harmonics allowing the 'beat' to be perceived. I suppose it's possible
that what we want is not accuracy, but rather some sort of enhanced
version of the original sound to allow us to perceive all the things
that are going on without the volume, frequency range and visual cues
available at a real performance.
Roger

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!
paul packer

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:18:02 +0000, Roger Thorpe
wrote:

I am enough of a scientist to know that my own opinions on the sound of a
piece of audio equipment can be prejudiced by ...how good looking the company rep was.

Eh?
Roger Thorpe

wrote:

I am enough of a scientist to know that my own opinions on the sound of a
piece of audio equipment can be prejudiced by ...how good looking the company rep was.

Eh?

A joke, not avery funny one I'm afraid.

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

The Audio Critic Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 605 March 10th 05 11:43 PM
Timing Michael Mossey High End Audio 58 January 7th 05 09:19 PM
A note of thanks for the help one and all re warmup timing and heaters John Andreen Vacuum Tubes 3 October 22nd 03 01:22 AM
Loudspeaker timing Sam Audio Opinions 111 October 7th 03 12:55 PM