Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] Bbixley@mac.com is offline

Default AIFF vs MP3 Timing

When exporting/bouncing/converting an MP3 (for refrence) out of
ProTools (or digital performer) is there any timing shift in tempo
from the original source. I am doing some cyber sessions and it seems
as if sometimes its hit or miss, just the slightest change will screw
up a session.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
rakmanenuff rakmanenuff is offline

On Feb 26, 7:21 pm, wrote:
When exporting/bouncing/converting an MP3 (for refrence) out of
ProTools (or digital performer) is there any timing shift in tempo
from the original source. I am doing some cyber sessions and it seems
as if sometimes its hit or miss, just the slightest change will screw
up a session.

Hmm.. Don't think so? I'm flying mp3s and aiffs in and out of
different tracks and arrangements all the time and I've never
noticed any differences in timing.
A low quality mp3 might sound slower because of the duller
sound, but it should be running at the exact same tempo.

However, on older versions of Logic I've had some funny
occurences where the waveform at the very beginning, ie
the beginning of the first bar, appeared to look a little different
after bouncing.
Might have had something to do with the editing not being
sample-accurate, not sure, I didn't find this to be a problem
really, still sounded ok, but it was a bit weird.

One particular third party plug-in in Logic is running with latency
on my old G4, which is bloody annoying. It's got delay
compensation settings but those don't always work as they
should. Sometimes it's in sync, sometimes not, but I think
I'm running the computer beyond its capacity, so I have
to freeze or bounce tracks before doing the final mixdown.

If you have a newer and more powerful computer that
should not happen the way it does on mine.

Not sure how the buffering works, but sometimes the buffers
appear to be full of junk and slowing things down, leading
to latency. I wish I understood this better so I could set
the preferences differently or clear out some of the useless
data. Resetting the software usually sorts this out, but
I don't like the unpredictability of it, accurate timing is
pretty important huh?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Feb 26, 6:03 pm, rakmanenuff wrote:
On Feb 26, 7:21 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the response. I have had situations when working on other
producers projects where the tracks I was flying back into the session
were problematic, but I did not generate the mp3's so I really couldnt
tell where the problem was coming from. So I guess its safe. Thank
Again

What is meant by 'timing' Roger Thorpe Audio Opinions 44 November 10th 05 11:19 PM
Timing Michael Mossey High End Audio 58 January 7th 05 09:19 PM
Sync/Timing Issue? AJS Car Audio 5 June 13th 04 05:27 PM
A note of thanks for the help one and all re warmup timing and heaters John Andreen Vacuum Tubes 3 October 22nd 03 01:22 AM
Loudspeaker timing Sam Audio Opinions 111 October 7th 03 12:55 PM