Roscoe East

Default high quality 1x2 digital audio AB switch?

I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
Output A and Output B.

Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,
either via RS-232, 12v trigger, or infrared. And, irrespective of any
alleged or imagined sonic benefits, I'd like to use something whose
build quality is commensurate with a $9000 Meridian preamp/processor.

Any suggestions? I've been Googling all morning & can't find anything
specifically designed to do this. (Closest I came was a Niles AVS-2,
which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
$9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)

Ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott Dorsey

Roscoe East wrote:
I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
Output A and Output B.

Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,
either via RS-232, 12v trigger, or infrared. And, irrespective of any
alleged or imagined sonic benefits, I'd like to use something whose
build quality is commensurate with a $9000 Meridian preamp/processor.

How about a simple 75 ohm SPDT coaxial relay? Not exactly high tech, but it
will work just fine. Apply 12V and it disables output A in favor of
output B.

http://www.teledynerelays.com/pressr.../ccr-33mpr.asp

Any suggestions? I've been Googling all morning & can't find anything
specifically designed to do this. (Closest I came was a Niles AVS-2,
which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
$9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)

I would bet that Graham-Patten probably mkaes a more expensive device
like the AVS-2.
Frank Vuotto

On 28 Jul 2005 11:48:09 -0700, "Roscoe East"
wrote:

which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
$9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)

Ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you shop around, you could probable pay more, (they may have
appropriately priced cables too)

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Arny Krueger

"Roscoe East" wrote in message
oups.com

I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF
output of a Meridian preamp/processor to one of two
different destinations. Can't go to both simultaneously,
so a DA won't work; has to select between Output A and
Output B.

Just for grins please explain why you can't drive both
outputs at the same time. Seems like a pretty rare situation
where you couldn't.

Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
Output A and Output B.

Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,

Dow-Key is the grandaddy of coax relays. You should be able to find
something he
http://tinyurl.com/dsu3o

Coax relays show up at hamfests all the time for $25 or so, mostly
with UHF connectors, which aren't recommended for use above 300 MHz,
but I think that it will be a long time before you have sample rates
high enough to have frequency components up into that range.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Julian

On 28 Jul 2005 15:15:32 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

How about a simple 75 ohm SPDT coaxial relay? Not exactly high tech, but it
will work just fine. Apply 12V and it disables output A in favor of
output B.

How about this?

http://www.broadcasttools.com/view_p...p?productID=30

Maybe a compromise between a raw relay and a really expensive device.
I've installed 6 and they are quite reliable.

Julian

Chris Hornbeck

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:19:49 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF
output of a Meridian preamp/processor to one of two
different destinations. Can't go to both simultaneously,
so a DA won't work; has to select between Output A and
Output B.

Just for grins please explain why you can't drive both
outputs at the same time. Seems like a pretty rare situation
where you couldn't.

Especially an app that doesn't include its own input
switching. Curiouser and curiouser...

But then, the world is ultimately unknowable, or is it?

Chris Hornbeck
Lorin David Schultz

Those of us who read offline would be really grateful if those of you
who post links would also include a really quick description of what
you're linking to. When you post a link and write "How about this?" I
have no idea what you're talking about because I can't just click on the
link.

I know that's my problem and not yours. I mention it as an "if you
please" request and not a complaint.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Roscoe East

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Roscoe East" wrote in message
oups.com

I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF
output of a Meridian preamp/processor to one of two
different destinations. Can't go to both simultaneously,
so a DA won't work; has to select between Output A and
Output B.

Just for grins please explain why you can't drive both
outputs at the same time. Seems like a pretty rare situation
where you couldn't.

Think about what I wrote: it's not both Outputs, it's both Inputs that
I can't drive simultaneously. So I have to route a single output
selectively between one of two different inputs, but not both
simultaneously.

The inputs here are both Meridian DSP digital active speakers. It's as
if we had two pairs of speakers in two separate zones. Except, in this
case, the two zones are both in the same room! Having the signal routed
to both pairs of speakers simultaneously would completely corrupt
imaging, etc.

I suppose I could find a way to remotely power on/off each pair of
active speakers so that I just turn off the amps rather than disable
the input to the unused pair of speakers. But I thought (foolishly,
apparently, as no one's come up with a solution that fits the mandate)
that a swanky S/PDIF AB selector switch would be a common item.

Arny Krueger

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Roscoe East" wrote in message

oups.com

I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF
output of a Meridian preamp/processor to one of two
different destinations. Can't go to both simultaneously,
so a DA won't work; has to select between Output A and
Output B.

Just for grins please explain why you can't drive both
outputs at the same time. Seems like a pretty rare
situation where you couldn't.

Think about what I wrote: it's not both Outputs, it's
both Inputs that I can't drive simultaneously. So I have
to route a single output selectively between one of two
different inputs, but not both simultaneously.

My bad, I meant both inputs.

If you just hooked both inputs to the output with a passive
Y cable, there's some chance that both sets of speakers
might work because digital outputs tend to be overbuilt and
digital inputs tend to be more sensitive than the bare
minimum.

If you used a video DA, both speaker digital inputs could
certainly be driven at the same time.

I suppose I could find a way to remotely power on/off each

pair of
active speakers so that I just turn off the amps rather

than disable
the input to the unused pair of speakers

That would be the equipment and energy conservative way to
go.

But I thought (foolishly,
apparently, as no one's come up with a solution that fits

the mandate)
that a swanky S/PDIF AB selector switch would be a common

item.

Actually they have - a standard video switch and cabling
will do the job. SP/DIF and baseband video meet roughly the
same specs, especially when it comes to passive switches.

It might break your heart, the off-the-shelf $50 video
switches and DAs from Radio Shack will do the job, and do it
well.

Tell you what, order them from me, and I'll be happy to mark
them up 1,000% so you can feel better.

John L Rice

It's a nice looking simple half rackish sized blue box with large round
black buttons and a few LEDs. Their ad text says :

The Broadcast Tools® SS 2.1/Term III passively switches or routes a variety
of electrical signals to a destination. The SS 2.1/Term III selects any one
of 2 stereo inputs to a single stereo output. The SS 2.1/Term III provides
PASSIVE switching through gold contact relays. The passive switching means
that the unit can route a signal in either direction. Due to the passive
nature of the switching, any input level and impedance can be used. Inputs
may be balanced or unbalanced, while output levels, impedance, distortion,
noise and balancing will match that of the selected input. In addition to
their normal use with audio signals, the unit can also be used to switch
digital signals and telephone lines.

Features: Operational control by front panel switches with LED indicators,
contact closures, 5-volt TTL/CMOS logic levels and/or the multi-drop RS-232
serial port.
Removable screw terminals (Euro) are provided for audio and remote control
connections.
Audio switching via sealed relays utilizing 2-form-C bifurcated - crossbar
silver alloy with gold overlay contacts.
Logic functions via microprocessor and non-volatile memory
The power-up feature allows the user to select which one source is active at
power up, including the last source selected.
Three logic-switching modes, interlock, sustained or toggle.
Configuration via dip switches
The "ENABLE" switch provides a safety lock to the front panel source
selection switches.
The audio "MUTE" switch allows the user to turn off the audio output when
activated.
Source number one is configured to route audio to the output in the case of
loss of power to the unit.
Non-selected sources are terminated with 10K ohms, load resistors.
Relays provided for remote status.
The SS 2.1/Term III may be set on a desktop, mounted on a wall or as part of
the new RA-1, "Rack-Able" mounting shelf.
Optional RA-1 rack shelf for mounting up to three units in 1-RU

Applications: Automation source switching, EAS audio switching or any type
of stereo, monaural, composite audio, AES/EBU, ISDN, RS-232/422/485,
telephone line switching, multiple station music on-hold and/or PA
switching,

--
John L Rice

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
Those of us who read offline would be really grateful if those of you who
post links would also include a really quick description of what you're
linking to. When you post a link and write "How about this?" I have no
idea what you're talking about because I can't just click on the link.

I know that's my problem and not yours. I mention it as an "if you
please" request and not a complaint.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Roscoe East

John L Rice wrote:
It's a nice looking simple half rackish sized blue box with large round
black buttons and a few LEDs. Their ad text says :

The Broadcast Tools=AE SS 2.1/Term III passively switches or routes a var=

iety
of electrical signals to a destination. The SS 2.1/Term III selects any o=

ne
of 2 stereo inputs to a single stereo output. The SS 2.1/Term III provides
PASSIVE switching through gold contact relays. The passive switching means
that the unit can route a signal in either direction. Due to the passive
nature of the switching, any input level and impedance can be used. Inputs
may be balanced or unbalanced, while output levels, impedance, distortion,
noise and balancing will match that of the selected input. In addition to
their normal use with audio signals, the unit can also be used to switch
digital signals and telephone lines.

Ooh, looks like we may have a winner here, folks! Thanks Julian (and
John).

Scott Dorsey

In article znr1122650586k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

But if you just want to play with the concept, you could try using a
TV antenna splitter to give you two outputs from a single input. The
level will drop, but unless it's below the threshold of the receiver
on the speaker, it won't matter. Turn on one and turn off the other.

This doesn't work because the low frequency response of the splitter is
not good enough. It _is_ possible to use an Allen Avionics video
(20 Hz-6 MHz) transformer for the job, but it would be a lot cheaper to
buy a gold-plated relay.

Arny Krueger

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

But if you just want to play with the concept, you could
try using a TV antenna splitter to give you two outputs

from a single
input. The level will drop, but unless it's below the

threshold of
the receiver on the speaker, it won't matter. Turn on

one and turn off
the other.

Given the usual attenuation in a typical antenna splitter, I
doubt that you'd get the speakers to synch up. These things
are also directional couplers and provide a degree of
isolation of the load to the source. The results are even
greater losses.

Roscoe East wrote:
I've got a situation where I need to route the S/PDIF output of a
Meridian preamp/processor to one of two different destinations. Can't
go to both simultaneously, so a DA won't work; has to select between
Output A and Output B.

Also need to be able to switch between these two outputs remotely,
either via RS-232, 12v trigger, or infrared. And, irrespective of any
alleged or imagined sonic benefits, I'd like to use something whose
build quality is commensurate with a $9000 Meridian preamp/processor.

Any suggestions? I've been Googling all morning & can't find anything
specifically designed to do this. (Closest I came was a Niles AVS-2,
which is a little $75 gadget for routing composite video but which
ought to pass S/PDIF. Just can't bring myself to pass the output of a
$9000 preamp through a $75 switcher.)

Ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you looked at Bob Katz's box?

http://tinyurl.com/bohlp

The VSP Digital Audio Control Center

Inputs and Outputs
The VSP model P (professional) has six digital inputs: 3 coaxial (RCA),
2 Toslink optical (AT&T ST-Optical optional), 1 XLR. It has six record
outputs, of the same flavors. Last, it has 3 monitor outputs, 1 coax, 1
optical, and 1 XLR, designed to feed a D/A converter. The model S
(standard, or consumer) only has the six inputs and outputs, does not
have the monitor section. Any of the six inputs will accept AES/EBU
(professional) software or S/PDIF (IEC 958, consumer) software. The six
record outputs of the VSP/P can be switched between consumer or
professional software via a front panel switch. The six outputs of the
VSP/S are permanently set to deliver S/PDIF software. Emphasis is
handled automatically, and the signal path is 24 bits.

What the all-purpose VSP does
The VSP is like a digital audio patchbay. It has no analog inputs or
outputs. Mastering studios, dubbing studios, and recording engineers
will find many uses for the VSP.

Routing
The VSP will switch between any of 6 digital sources (e.g., CD, DAT,
DAW) and feed them simultaneously to 6 places. Additionally, the model
VSP/P will switch any of those six sources to a monitor output. A
simple A/B monitor switch permits comparing source and tape (or any two
sources).

Additional Features
Both models have a very sophisticated jitter reduction circuit. The pro
model's sample rate converter will accept any incoming rate from below
32 kHz to above 48 khz and turn it into the compact disc standard of
44.1 kHz. The pro model also has an external processor loop, which can
be inserted in the record or monitor chain at the touch of a button,
enabling comparison of a reverberated signal, or a compressed signal,
for example; or for inserting a compressor between two DAT machines;
and so on.

Digital Domain
931 NSR 434 Suite 1201-168
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714 USA