Default School Budget $1100 for 2 large diaphragm Cond. Mics and Pre w/comp & EQ?

A friend from a southern il. school dist. called me, he just finished
his fund raising drive and has $1100. I was the thinking the focusrite
twintrak pro and a couple of mics (not sure which ones).
Other mic pres? mics?

Your ideas welcome he

thanx
-mike

Paul Stamler

wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend from a southern il. school dist. called me, he just finished
his fund raising drive and has $1100. I was the thinking the focusrite
twintrak pro and a couple of mics (not sure which ones).
Other mic pres? mics?

Your ideas welcome he

What do they plan to use them for?

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend from a southern il. school dist. called me, he just

finished
his fund raising drive and has $1100. I was the thinking the

focusrite
twintrak pro and a couple of mics (not sure which ones).
Other mic pres? mics?

Your ideas welcome he

What do they plan to use them for?

Peace,
Paul

Choir and small group recordings

Sugarite

A friend from a southern il. school dist. called me, he just
finished
his fund raising drive and has $1100. I was the thinking the

focusrite
twintrak pro and a couple of mics (not sure which ones).
Other mic pres? mics?

Your ideas welcome he

What do they plan to use them for?

Peace,
Paul

Choir and small group recordings

Then you should be looking at small diaphram condensers, better suited to
capturing a wide field. The TT Pro is a good choice, and I can recommend
Rode NT5's at under $300 for a matched pair. You should have enough left
for the digital output card for the TT Pro if necessary.

If you insist on large diaphrams you'll end up with some Chinese-built
offerings from MXL, Apex, Studio Projects, etc, or you'll have to look at a
cheaper preamp/processor. Screwed either way. Pick a foot to shot.

Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
wrote:

Choir and small group recordings

In that case, they definitely don't want large diaphragm mikes, and they
might not even really want EQ. How about a pair of Josephson 606es,
with an RNP?

Sugarite

Choir and small group recordings

In that case, they definitely don't want large diaphragm mikes, and they
might not even really want EQ. How about a pair of Josephson 606es,
with an RNP?

I figured it was for dual duty - recording and reinforcement, hopefully not
simultaneously.

just for recording...

I was thinking 2 studio projects c1 and two 25' mogami cables and the
focusrite.

He also wants to record, soloists, and small groups, singer
songwriters.. basically all sizel groups of singers
600 focusrite
400 mics
100 cables
=
1100

Kurt Albershardt

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Choir and small group recordings

In that case, they definitely don't want large diaphragm mikes, and they
might not even really want EQ. How about a pair of Josephson 606es,
with an RNP?

Even a pair of C42's are going to bust his budget a little with an RNP, but I'd still recommend them.

Scott Dorsey

Sugarite wrote:
Choir and small group recordings

In that case, they definitely don't want large diaphragm mikes, and they
might not even really want EQ. How about a pair of Josephson 606es,
with an RNP?

I figured it was for dual duty - recording and reinforcement, hopefully not
simultaneously.

For PA applications, the large diaphragm mikes would be even worse. The
Josephson Series 5 (sorry, I meant to say that originally, rather than the
606) will also have much better gain before feedback in a PA application,
as well as sounding better for area miking. Same goes for the Crown C-700
or even the Oktava 012.

Laurence Payne

On 27 Jan 2005 14:50:01 -0800, wrote:

Choir and small group recordings

Large diaphragm mics are for close-up vocals.

CubaseFAQ
www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

THANX ALL

You we're all a great help...

I forwarded the thread to him.. he's going to pull from another fund
and get the c42's and the rnp

btw: found a nice review on the c42s http://www.mojopie.com/c42.html
thanx again
-michael