Jim Gilliland

Default Doc Watson and more tonight!

[I tried to post this earlier today, but it didn't show up. Apologies
if anyone winds up seeing it twice.]

Each year, the Kent State Folk Festival asks me to record the event for
broadcast.

Tonight and tomorrow night, WKSU will be airing my recordings of last
year's festival. You can listen over the air or online. The featured
recording is Doc Watson's set with David Holt and Richard Watson, half
of it at 10 tonight, the other half at 9 tomorrow night.

It's on WKSU: http://wksu.org/folk/ Use the "Listen Online" button. If
you happen to be in northeastern Ohio, you can listen at 89.7 or on one
of their repeaters.

The Doc Watson show is just one of many concerts that they'll be
presenting over these two nights. In total, it will be nine hours of
folk music featured - from 9pm to 1am tonight (Friday), and from 8pm to
1am tomorrow (Saturday). It will include Sam Bush, Jesse Winchester,
Karla Bonoff, Vienna Teng, Pat Donohue, and more.

Here's the complete schedule for the two nights:

http://wksu.org/folk/playlists/20051014.html

http://wksu.org/folk/playlists/20051015.html

Amazingly enough, every single piece of music on both nights come from
my recordings, except for the last five minutes tonight. It's the first
time they've ever done it that way.

So listen if you get the chance. And feel free to follow up here with
any questions or comments on the recordings.

Note to those who enjoyed my recording of the Nashville Mandolin
Ensemble from the last RAP set - there are a couple more tracks from
that same recording at the very end of tomorrow nights
broadcast/webcast. Unfortunately, that's not until nearly 1AM eastern
time. Maybe easier for the folks farther west.

And at the end of tonight's webcast, there's a great track from my
Nickel Creek recording of two years ago. Same timeframe, though.

Enjoy!

Jimmie Wilson, WRUW, Cleveland

David Satz

Jim, I'm not sure I'll have a chance to hear the broadcast, but would
just like to congratulate you on getting to record Doc Watson--a big
honor for any engineer.

Jim Gilliland

David Satz wrote:
Jim, I'm not sure I'll have a chance to hear the broadcast, but would
just like to congratulate you on getting to record Doc Watson--a big
honor for any engineer.

Thanks, David. I agree. I've recorded a number of artists who may be
bigger "household names" than Doc, but from my perspective this is by
far the most prestigious recording I've ever made.

The real high point, though, was just standing around the green room
while Doc, David and Richard traded songs in rehearsal. No mics, no
amps, just amazing musicians playing for each other in an informal
setting. Doc's the kind of person who'd be glad to play that way for
anyone who'd listen, but how many of us actually get the chance?

The great thing about having David Holt involved is that David has a way
of drawing out the best of Doc's stories on stage. So we got to hear a
lot about how Doc learned the songs, learned the instruments, some of
his home life, etc. With Doc being 81 years old at the time of the
recording, it's great to get to capture some of those stories as well as
the songs.

And even at 81, he nailed every note of that performance (both vocally
and instrumentally).

For anyone who may be able to catch it, the second part of the
broadcast/webcast is available this evening:

http://wksu.org/folk/playlists/20051015.html

Xandros Desktop OS User

Default Wow can you share your mic set up? Doc Watson and more tonight!

Mr. Gilliland,

Congratulations on the job/sound.

Can you share how and what you used?

Thanks