Analogeezer

Default Looking for a Hardware F/X box, cheap but different...any ideas?

(Jeff Renner) wrote in message om...
If you are going to get a Boss box, you may as well spend the extra
$50 or so bucks and get the VF1. The FX are as described for the
SE-50, and you get an extremely fast tracking intelligent harmonizer
as well as a mono synthesizer that works pretty well. There are a few
other FX like slow gear (envelope follower for violin FX) auto-wah and
other Boss pedals. I use one with a Marshall JMP-1 and its all I need.
I was using a TC Electronic GForce, but when I tried the VF1, I sold
the GForce and bought 2 more VF1s. I also do a solo gig and use
another VF1 straight to a power amp. The COSM amp modeling is that
good. The wall wart isn't really a wall wart, its more like a power
supply for a laptop, with a wire at each end. You can velcro it neatly
into a corner of your rack. You can also use a midi foot pedal to do a
broad range of wah FX that cover about every analog wah out there...
You can pick these up on eBay for under $200.

Well your suggestion got me thinking, I had checked out used SE-70's
on Ebay but they tended to run about $150 - $175 which seemed high.
The VF-1's were running $250 or so.

Well I started reading up on the VF-1's and then noticed they were
being discontinued.

Bottom line is I stopped in a local store and asked about them, the
guy said "I don't think we have any left but if we do we are blowing
them out for $199".

Right at the same time, it just so happened this girl from Roland
(Hard Disc Porta studio product rep) was standing there and overheard
the conversation, whipped around and....she said "wow the VF-1, that's
a fantastic unit, I can't believe we are going to stop selling that
one".

In the time since this original thread, my "goal" kind of changed, I
moved some F/X around (moved an MPX-1 over to use on the OB-8) and
what I wound up with was needing F/X for some keyboards in a 2nd
station...a couple of older units in that rig that don't have built in
F/X.

I had originally pulled a Quadraverb 2 out of there and sold it on
Ebay, and the mixer I was using for that rig (Mackie LM-3204) has two
true stereo F/X sends.

So I'm thinking hmmmm, if they have one for $199, maybe I should get
two...

So they had two, brand spankin new (well one had the box opened and
was missing the manual, but hey I got two of the things for less than
the going rate on Ebay and only paid about $20 in tax for the pair)
ones for $199 each plus tax.

I've only had about a week to work with them but they are way
cool....not the best reverb around but better than the built in verb
on most keyboards and they have some really cool distorto guitar stuff
on there, phasers, just all kinds of weird and inspiring stuff. The Q2
I was using was pretty boring in comparision.

I mounted the pair in a Raxxess rack tray, they fit perfect and look
pretty bitchin together side by side.

The main gripes I have with them a

1. The meters are in the LCD and it's pretty hard to tell when you are
clipping, unless you really clip them and they squawk

2. The LCD while it is adjustable for look angle, this works up and
down in the rack but not to the side so well. The 2nd unit looks a
little blurry unless I move my head a little bit and look at it
straight on.

Still looking at the VF-1 was a great suggestion....I would have
missed out on this deal had you guys not got me thinking.

So you guys asked to report back what I wound up with so there you
go...thanks again.

Analogeezer