j pweaner

Default Suggestion tube for Hammond 1650PP

Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

My speaker are B&W CDM7nt
My preamplifier is a Diy ( counterpoint 5.1 ).

Thanks for your help

Jean Pierre

MaxH

j pweaner wrote:

Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

My speaker are B&W CDM7nt
My preamplifier is a Diy ( counterpoint 5.1 ).

Thanks for your help

Jean Pierre

6L6GC or 807 for sure... personal preferance speaking

Andy Evans

You could use all kinds of things - 6L6 types through to KT88s, depending on
the HT and operating point. Sound good in UL or triode, and you can leave off
the global feedback. Get a couple of 6-0-0-6 toroids and try 6B4G, heck you
could just about use low voltage 845s. 5K to 6.6K is a very common load for
output tubes. Try the EH 7591s - pretty cheap and very easy to drive. You'd
only need a voltage stage into a concertina.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Mikkel C. Simonsen

j pweaner wrote:

Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

You could also try EL34s. 6k6 is the recommended load for UL operation
in the Philips data sheets.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Patrick Turner

j pweaner wrote:

Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

You could try my 5050 circuit at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/htmlwe...0ulabinteg.htm

Patrick Turner

My speaker are B&W CDM7nt
My preamplifier is a Diy ( counterpoint 5.1 ).

Thanks for your help

Jean Pierre

Fabio Berutti

All beam tetrodes of the 6L6 family will be fine at 6K6 load, and so will
the EL34 pentode family (there are some rare European tubes using different
sockets that are close relatives of the EL34, like the Philips 4689). The
recommended load for bigger bottles like the 6550 is lower, say 4 - 4.5K.
Many of these tubes are easy to find both new and NOS, I'd favour Svetlanas
or JJ in both "tastes" (6L6GC and EL34). As per the circuit, Mr. Turner
design looks very professional. Another great "evergreen" design are the
Leaks like the TL/25. ( http://www.ampslab.com/SCHEMATICS/LeakTL25.jpg ).
I'd use a 30-35W tube like the 6L6GC UL connected or (my favorite) the
venerable 807 (*) pentode connected in order to get some 30-35W out of a B+
of less than 450V, making it feasible to use "customary" JJ capacitors rated
for 500VDC and 5V4G or 5AR4 rectifiers (now available from JJ and Sovtek).
Higher voltages would require looking for the scarce SIC/SAFCO capacitors
rated for 630V. Usually B&W loudspeakers are not very efficient and some
power could turn out useful, but I deem 30W to be OK. (I own a 6L6GC PP-UL
delivering 33-34W, and I use it even with a couple of Audiostatic 80-dB
electrostats..)

(*) there are pretty good Russian 807 at a reasonable price around, but they
have a disadvantage: they need a top connection for the anode, ie. a voltage
of 400-500V to be connected to an "unprotected" contact, making these tubes
very dangerous if You have little children around...

Ciao

Fabio

"j pweaner" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

My speaker are B&W CDM7nt
My preamplifier is a Diy ( counterpoint 5.1 ).

Thanks for your help

Jean Pierre

Mark S

"MaxH" wrote in message ...

j pweaner wrote:

Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

My speaker are B&W CDM7nt
My preamplifier is a Diy ( counterpoint 5.1 ).

Thanks for your help

Jean Pierre

6L6GC or 807 for sure... personal preferance speaking

JP,
If you don't mind top plate caps, check out www.vacuumtubes.com. They offer
a Sylvania (Philips/ ECG) 6GB6GA which is essentially a 6L6GC / 7027A.
CHEAP! $32 for a quad! Any time you can score NOS Sylvania for that money,
it's worth a look.
Mark

Andy Evans

And a bit further down the kinky 6L6 path, loctal sockets and CV391. BUT use a
pliers and free the locking bit of the socket, otherwise the bulbs of the
CV391s come straight off in your hand - thin glass. this has happened to
everybody I know who's used them.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Phil Allison

"j pweaner"

Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

** Witches have nothing to do with the matter - vacuum electronics is
not black magic.

However there is no doubt that the Turneroids here can conjur up Satan
with no effort.

............. Phil

Fred Nachbaur

Mark S wrote:

[...]

6L6GC or 807 for sure... personal preferance speaking

JP,
If you don't mind top plate caps, check out www.vacuumtubes.com. They offer
a Sylvania (Philips/ ECG) 6GB6GA which is essentially a 6L6GC / 7027A.
CHEAP! $32 for a quad! Any time you can score NOS Sylvania for that money,
it's worth a look.
Mark

Good tip. The original 6GB6 was essentially an 807 on an octal socket.
I've used them to good avail, they're a solid, reliable tube. The 6GB6GA
is probably more like a 6L6GA/GB, rather than GC, but a wonderful tube
nonetheless.

Antique (http://www.tubesandmore.com) claims to have 6GB6's (ST shape,
just like 807) on sale til June 18 for $7.50 apiece. It would be hard to
find NOS 807's for that!

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Carroll Conklin

Jean Pierre

I have been thinking for a while about a pair of 809's with a slight
negative bias. Of course, it would have to be transformer driven and for
that I would use a single ended 6EM7( one of Fred's favorites ).Bias can be
created and regulated with a three legged regulator i.e. LM337 and fed to
the center tap of the interstage secondary. It would be a three tube
amplifier because the voltage amp is also in the *EM7. The *EM7 will
deliver the 0.5 Watt necessary for the 809 drive requirements. The
interstage for the drive is actually a step down, from the 3K primary load,
so the 809's actually get more drive current than is flowing in the *EM7.

The benefits: P-P triode for about 90 Watts with 600 Volts B+. SE sound
attributes. A simplified design with three tubes two transformers and no
paraphase amplifier. Drive any modern speaker load.

And... Great BIG Glowing 809's

Carroll

"j pweaner" wrote in message
.. .
Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

My speaker are B&W CDM7nt
My preamplifier is a Diy ( counterpoint 5.1 ).

Thanks for your help

Jean Pierre

Jeff Thompson

"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

Mark S wrote:

[...]

6L6GC or 807 for sure... personal preferance speaking

JP,
If you don't mind top plate caps, check out www.vacuumtubes.com. They

offer
a Sylvania (Philips/ ECG) 6GB6GA which is essentially a 6L6GC / 7027A.
CHEAP! $32 for a quad! Any time you can score NOS Sylvania for that

money,
it's worth a look.
Mark

Good tip. The original 6GB6 was essentially an 807 on an octal socket.
I've used them to good avail, they're a solid, reliable tube. The 6GB6GA
is probably more like a 6L6GA/GB, rather than GC, but a wonderful tube
nonetheless.

The Sylvania/Philips/ECG tubes mentioned above supposedly were made with
the same internals that were used for 6L6GC/7581. I think this is correct,
as I have a couple Sylvania 6GB6GA (not from the above mentioned source) and
they definitly have larger, more robust looking plate structures than
the other 6GB6GAs I have. The Sylvanias (JAN tubes dated 1966)
appear to have plates identical to a Sylvania 6L6GC, and they
also have large "fins" attached to the screen supports? which the 6L6GC
doesn't have.
Jeff T.

Antique (http://www.tubesandmore.com) claims to have 6GB6's (ST shape,
just like 807) on sale til June 18 for $7.50 apiece. It would be hard to
find NOS 807's for that!

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Fred Nachbaur

Jeff Thompson wrote:
"Fred Nachbaur" wrote in message

Mark S wrote:

[...]

[...]

Wow, that's good to know! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk |

j pweaner

Thanks for your help !
Personnaly I like the kt88 sound. I don't know if a SE amplifier have the
power to drive my speakers. my be EL34 PP is another solution.

Thank Guy's

"j pweaner" a écrit dans le message de
.. .
Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

My speaker are B&W CDM7nt
My preamplifier is a Diy ( counterpoint 5.1 ).

Thanks for your help

Jean Pierre

j pweaner

Hi Patrick

Do you have the power supply schematic ?
Personnaly I like the tube regulation voltage.

Do you have some picture of it ?

Thank for your Help

Jean Pierre

"Patrick Turner" a écrit dans le message de

j pweaner wrote:

Hi !

I have 2 hammonds output trans 1650PP with 6600 ct sealed .

Witch tube (Sound ) do you suggest for my diy amp.

You could try my 5050 circuit at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/htmlwe...0ulabinteg.htm

Patrick Turner

My speaker are B&W CDM7nt
My preamplifier is a Diy ( counterpoint 5.1 ).

Thanks for your help

Jean Pierre

Patrick Turner

j pweaner wrote:

Hi Patrick

Do you have the power supply schematic ?

The 5050 PSU is at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/websch...su550w531h.gif

Personnaly I like the tube regulation voltage.

There is no need for regulation.
If I was running recording gear from a mobile generator
way down the far end of the paddock I might consider regulation
necessary.
Old Quad II amps had only 16 uF to anchor the CT to ground,
and no choke and second cap for the plate supply, so there was abpout 17
vrms of
ripple voltage at the CT, but still the IMD due to power rail hum was not
worse than the thd.
I have two channels anchored with 470 uF at the CT,
or if you like 235 uF per channel, which is 14 times more C than Quad,
and I have a choke to obstruct the hum in the B+ rails.
The use of silicon diodes and high value filter caps
will stop the intermodulation between LF signals and HF signals
in the amp, and suppress cross talk between channels.
The hum at the CT of the OPTs is negligible.

Do you have some picture of it ?

The picture of the 5050 is at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/htmlwe...Integrated.htm

There are more details of transformers etc in the text in the page
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/htmlwe...ersupplies.htm

Thank for your Help

Jean Pierre

Building an amp like the 5050 does take a fair bit of skill.
But with transformers from Hammond, it will sound OK.
I have the two OPTs and PT under the cover behind the tubes,
but no reason why you couldn't use bell end style trannies without a
cover.

However, perhaps you'll need a slightly bigger chassis than I used.
Don't be afraid to use a chassis about 500 mm long, 350mm deep,
and 55 mm high, so yo have plenty of room to fit all the caps and a choke
in
somewhere.

Happy listening,

Patrick Turner.