Posted to rec.audio.pro
mjs mjs is offline

Default M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 - SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V1600

Hello friends.
I want to know if you have connected the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card
to a Yamaha RX-V1600 receiver.

My aim is to abe to hear 24 bit 96kHz Wav file via the Yamaha receiver.
I was hoping to be able to connect these to devices using the S/PDIF
connection. I have tried doing this myself, but without any success...
No sound outut from the Yamaha....
Thanks in advance..
Madhav

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

mjs wrote:

My aim is to abe to hear 24 bit 96kHz Wav file via the Yamaha receiver.
I was hoping to be able to connect these to devices using the S/PDIF
connection. I have tried doing this myself, but without any success...
No sound outut from the Yamaha....

Have you tried sending the receiver 44.1 or 48 kHz 16-bit audio through
its digital inputs? It should certainly handle that, and if this works,
it will confirm your connections and settings. It's possible that it
doesn't handle 96 kHz or 24-bit digital input.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...

mjs wrote:

My aim is to abe to hear 24 bit 96kHz Wav file via the Yamaha receiver.

This is outside the industry standard envelope of what a consumer receiver
should ever do.

I was hoping to be able to connect these to devices using the S/PDIF
connection. I have tried doing this myself, but without any success...
No sound outut from the Yamaha....

Have you tried sending the receiver 44.1 or 48 kHz 16-bit audio through
its digital inputs? It should certainly handle that, and if this works,
it will confirm your connections and settings. It's possible that it
doesn't handle 96 kHz or 24-bit digital input.

Good call. There have been consumer DVD players that could conceivably
output a 24/96 digital signal, I believe that my old Pioneer DV-525 is one.
However very few optical discs with the appropriate format were ever made.

Any modern consumer optical player that has a SP/DIF output will downsample
any so-called "high definition" discs that it plays to something like 44/16
or 48/16.

Therefore there is no reason why a consumer receiver would ever be called on
to handle anything but 44/16 or 48/16.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

. ..

mjs wrote:

[...]

Clarification - that would be 44/16 or 48/16 on a SP/DIF input.

There are or at least can be such things as high-bitrate digital inputs on
consumer audio gear, but they aren't SP/DIF. For one thing, they would have
to be secure, so that there is assurance that the consumer is not making his
own copies of so-called high resolution recordings by means of a digital
connection.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mjs mjs is offline

Hello Arny.
Here is a link to the receiver' features:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...5&CTID=5000300

This unit is capable of playing 24bit 96kHz.

I am interested to see how my 24bit 96kHz wav file sounds via this
receiver.
My plan:

1.Setup the Audiophile 2496 to output data via the digital out (SPDIF)
coax connection.
2.Connect the other end of the coax cable to the Yamaha's "DVD in" coax
input.
3.Play the wav file on the PC using a program like Foobar2000

I also have decent set of Energy speakers and I am hoping that I
connecting the PC in such a manner will enable me to listen to my
material at its best quality.

Thanks for the input.

MJS

mjs wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mjs mjs is offline

Mike,
Thanks for the input.
I will try that soon.
You are right. This way we will make sure that the connection is good.
Thanks.
MJS
Mike Rivers wrote:
mjs wrote:

My aim is to abe to hear 24 bit 96kHz Wav file via the Yamaha receiver.
I was hoping to be able to connect these to devices using the S/PDIF
connection. I have tried doing this myself, but without any success...
No sound outut from the Yamaha....

Have you tried sending the receiver 44.1 or 48 kHz 16-bit audio through
its digital inputs? It should certainly handle that, and if this works,
it will confirm your connections and settings. It's possible that it
doesn't handle 96 kHz or 24-bit digital input.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"mjs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Arny.
Here is a link to the receiver' features:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...5&CTID=5000300

This unit is capable of playing 24bit 96kHz.

Really?

Here's what I see:

"Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs for All Channels"

Absolutely meaningless. 192/24 DACs can be had for under $1 - I've found
them in $39.95 DVD players. The presence of a part with a certain spec is
*no* guarantee that all of its features are exploited in the given piece of
gear.

"DTS 96/24 Compatibility" (twice). Again this is completely irrelevant to
the capabilities of the receiver's SP/DIF input. Here's why:

http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/technology/faq.php

"The data rate for 96/24 is 1.536Mbit/s" This means that the receiver
that is compatible with DTS 24/96 need not be able to accept a 24/96 PCM
data stream. A 24/96 stereo data stream has about 4.6 MBits/s which is far
more than the given 1.546 MBits/sec.

DTS is a perceptually-compressed format that drops a lot of data. Therefore
they make the claim that they provide something that sounds *something* like
5.1 channels of 24/96 (which would be about 12 MBits/sec PCM) with a far
lower data rate. 24/48 stereo is about 2.3 MBits/sec so a DTS 24/96 can
easily be accepted by a SP/DIF input that handles 24/48 stereo.

IOW the ability to handle DTS 24/96 does not imply the ability to handle
24/96 PCM stereo, which is what your M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 is putting
out.

Mission Impossible. Sorry that you were mislead by all this advertising
double-talk.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mjs mjs is offline

Hi.

I am quoting from the Yamaha RX-V1600 manual, Page 24, Section title -
Digital Jacks:

"You can use digital jacks to input PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS
bitstreams....All digital input jacks are compatible with 96-kHz
smpling digital signals."

So, do you still think that I cannot play 24-96 data via this amp?
Also, can you recommend an amp that will do this?

Again, the aim is to output 24bit, 96kHz wave file...

Thanks.
MJS

Arny Krueger wrote:
"mjs" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"mjs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.

I am quoting from the Yamaha RX-V1600 manual, Page 24, Section title -
Digital Jacks:

"You can use digital jacks to input PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS
bitstreams....All digital input jacks are compatible with 96-kHz
sampling digital signals."

That could be interpreted per the facts I just mentioned.

So, do you still think that I cannot play 24-96 data via this amp?

Let's put it this way. IME Dolby digital receivers are pretty tolerant of
data in formats that they are actually designed to handle.

I know for sure that an the digital output of an AP 24/96 can produce very
orthodox data streams, at least with the equipment and drivers I have tested
with.

Also, can you recommend an amp that will do this?

I don't do that much with receivers. I definately don't do that much with
high bitrate data and receivers.

Again, the aim is to output 24bit, 96kHz wave file...

You probably are accomplishing that, but I can't absolutely guarantee it.
Let's put it this way, if you can get your receiver to properly accept as
input a lower-bitrate (example: 16/44 stereo) file from the AP2496, it
validates lots of things. If simply shifting to 24/96 data causes a problem,
then the fault is most likely either with your data file or the receiver.

There may be a problem where your data file is a 24/96 format that the
receiver does not handle. For example it could be floating point or
reverse-endian. I can't say I've tried every surround receiver with every
conceivable format of 24/96, and there are a number of them. The AP24/96 is
capable of outputing any format 24/96 data transparently.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mike mike is offline

mjs wrote:
Hello friends.
I want to know if you have connected the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card
to a Yamaha RX-V1600 receiver.

My aim is to abe to hear 24 bit 96kHz Wav file via the Yamaha receiver.
I was hoping to be able to connect these to devices using the S/PDIF
connection. I have tried doing this myself, but without any success...
No sound outut from the Yamaha....
Thanks in advance..
Madhav

M-audio has a great data base on solutions to the Fire Wire Audiophile.
I had a few issues with mine and found all my answers on their web page
Good Luck
Mike Mueller