Posted to rec.audio.pro
T.W. Day

Default Mac OS X Panther vs Tiger

I'm an unconverted Win user who is stuck in Mac-world, mostly, due to
FinalCut Pro. However, while I'm here I'm taking advantage of the OS to get
familiar with ProTools on a Mac and a few other programs that find
themselves either cross-platform or Mac-only. Because I'm using the Mac as
a tool in FinalCut, but an educational device elsewhere, I've put myself in
a difficult position, OS-wise.

I have a Digi 001, which is my ProTools link on the Mac. The 001 isn't,
supposedly, supported in OS 10.4 (Tiger), so I'm staying with Panther as
long as I'm using the G4. However, Apple sort of obsoleted Panther with
FinalCut 5, or so I'm told. The G4 is a dead-ended machine and I don't
expect to spend a lot more money on it. It's fast enough for what I do in
FinalCut and powerful enough for anything I need to do in ProTools. My PC
is massively more powerful, and I expect to be spending the majority of my
time on that machine.

So, here's the question: is the 001 absolutely useless in Tiger? If so, can
I run the 001, Protools 6.4, and FinalCut 5 (and accessories) in Panther
(10.3.9)?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:55:16 -0500, T.W. Day wrote
(in article
):

[...]

Hey Tom,

Do yourself a favor and go to the digi site and look up COMPATABILITY.
I'd stick with 10.3.7 and 6.4.

I don't know how low FCP5 will go, but it was out before 10.4, right?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com