Aaron Smith

Default active speakers ?

I am using an M-Audio 24-96 and alesis M1ActiveMKII speakers. the output on
the card is RCA so I need to run it in to my mixer (behringer MX602a) but
the control room out put is an unbalanced jack and I don't think its +4dbl
Do you think it will damage my speaker inputs if I run it this way. The
speakers can handle unbalanced signals. What else could I do to get the
signal from the Computer in the speakers, I also would like to be able to
control the volume outside of the DAW.
Thanks
Aaron

Scott Dorsey

Aaron Smith wrote:
I am using an M-Audio 24-96 and alesis M1ActiveMKII speakers. the output on
the card is RCA so I need to run it in to my mixer (behringer MX602a) but
the control room out put is an unbalanced jack and I don't think its +4dbl
Do you think it will damage my speaker inputs if I run it this way. The
speakers can handle unbalanced signals. What else could I do to get the
signal from the Computer in the speakers, I also would like to be able to
control the volume outside of the DAW.

You won't damage anything, but now you have a cheap mixer in your monitor
signal path. Your goal is to keep the signal path as clean and free of
anything that can cause coloration as possible.

An attenuator box won't cost ALL that much, and will allow you to do
what you want.

Julian Adamaitis

"Scott Dorsey" wrote

An attenuator box won't cost ALL that much, and will allow you to do
what you want.
--scott

I don't understand Scott. He's already at -10. Why does he need ot
attenuate further?

Julian

Julian Adamaitis

"Aaron Smith" wrote in message
im sure it will work too, but i am worried that it will put stress on the
input and if i turn it up it could damage the amps

One assumes there is a buffer stage between the input and the main gain
stage in which case, it is not possible to ruin the speakers by using an
unbalanced source.

Julian

Paul Stamler

"Aaron Smith" wrote in message
im sure it will work too, but i am worried that it will put stress on the
input and if i turn it up it could damage the amps

Anything that would cause the amps to overload would call itself to your
attention by being so loud that you would reach immediately for the volume
knob. It's possible to damage speakers by momentary overdriving, but I
highly doubt you could do anything to damage the amps themselves, and I
suspect that the amps in the speakers are probably not going to pop the
speakers eaither.

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler

"Julian Adamaitis" wrote in message

"Scott Dorsey" wrote

An attenuator box won't cost ALL that much, and will allow you to do
what you want.
--scott

I don't understand Scott. He's already at -10. Why does he need ot
attenuate further?

He wants a volume control outside the computer. The easiest way is to buy a
minibox, four jacks and a 10k pot, and mount it fairly close to the
speakers. With 75 ohm-per-foot cable he could run maybe 8' of cable to each
speaker, although obviously less would be preferable.

Peace,
Paul

Julian Adamaitis

"Paul Stamler" wrote

He wants a volume control outside the computer. The easiest way is to buy
minibox, four jacks and a 10k pot, and mount it fairly close to the
speakers. With 75 ohm-per-foot cable he could run maybe 8' of cable to
each
speaker, although obviously less would be preferable.

Good suggestion and certainly the cleanest way assuming there is no need to
use the mixer for other sources.

Julian

david morley

emil wrote:
multi channel stereo attenuator - passive -
http://www.smproaudio.com/MPATCH.htm

Thats a nice little unit. $99
Arny Krueger

Paul Stamler wrote:
"Julian Adamaitis" wrote in message

"Scott Dorsey" wrote

An attenuator box won't cost ALL that much, and will allow you to

do
what you want.
--scott

I don't understand Scott. He's already at -10. Why does he need

ot
attenuate further?

He wants a volume control outside the computer. The easiest way is

buy a minibox, four jacks and a 10k pot, and mount it fairly close

the speakers. With 75 ohm-per-foot cable he could run maybe 8' of
cable to each speaker, although obviously less would be preferable.

Good advice as far as it goes - however just about any modern sound
card will drive far lower impedances than 10K (16 ohms is a common
number) and a lower value pot will make cable lengths less of an
issue.

Aaron Smith

I have gone with the behringer, and am very impressed with the sound. the
RCA input and then to control room out put sounds as good as going direct
from the card to speakers. the sound seems very flat. I miss the EQ on my
old set up, but the whole point is to get a flat sound.
Thanks for your help you guys.
Aaron

"david morley" wrote in message
emil wrote:
multi channel stereo attenuator - passive -
http://www.smproaudio.com/MPATCH.htm

Thats a nice little unit. $99

Scott Dorsey

Aaron Smith wrote:
yes please tell me more about this, what would i be looking for?

Google for attenuator on this group. I think Coleman Audio makes a little
one that is fairly inexpensive and popular.
Scott Dorsey

Julian Adamaitis wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote

An attenuator box won't cost ALL that much, and will allow you to do
what you want.

I don't understand Scott. He's already at -10. Why does he need ot
attenuate further?

Because otherwise he is listening at full volume all the time. A signal
at full -10 level going into an amp running full out will be very loud.

An adjustable attenuator gives you a way to turn it down and have a volume
control.

Jim Gregory

AS
That's a *dual-ganged* (close-matched, if poss)10k *log* - not linear - pot.
It may even be possible to use 4k7 or 1k0 depending on sources Z. The lower
that Z, the longer you can run unbal leads (fig-8) to the pot outers.
After that, keep variable o/p unbal leads (fig-8 again) as short as poss to
your next stage i/ps.
Experimentally, start using the pot nearly closed, and turn it up gradually
till you reach a comfortable loudness level. You won't damage anything that
way.

"Julian Adamaitis" wrote in message

"Paul Stamler" wrote

He wants a volume control outside the computer. The easiest way is to buy
minibox, four jacks and a 10k pot, and mount it fairly close to the
speakers. With 75 ohm-per-foot cable he could run maybe 8' of cable to
each
speaker, although obviously less would be preferable.

Good suggestion and certainly the cleanest way assuming there is no need
to use the mixer for other sources.

Julian

SSJVCmag

On 4/25/05 12:51 PM, in article , "Scott
Dorsey" wrote:

Remember, he'll need a dual pot (I don't think anyone said that yet)
for stereo, and the selection of those for the DIYer is pretty slim. I
think the only one that Radio Shack has any more is 100K, which would
still work fine for "desktop-length" cables.

I think Digi-Key still has a couple dual log taper pots, although most
of them are kind of junky.

I'd guess introducing the word 'tracking' wouldn;t be too popular...?

Julian Adamaitis

"Jim Gregory" wrote

It may even be possible to use 4k7 or 1k0 depending on sources Z. The
lower that Z, the longer you can run unbal leads

Everyone seems so concerned about keeping unbalanced lengths short, but in
the real world, you can usually go a lot farther than what is spec'd.

Julian

Arny Krueger

SSJVCmag wrote:
On 4/25/05 12:51 PM, in article ,

"Scott
Dorsey" wrote:

Remember, he'll need a dual pot (I don't think anyone said that

yet)
for stereo, and the selection of those for the DIYer is pretty
slim. I think the only one that Radio Shack has any more is 100K,
which would still work fine for "desktop-length" cables.

I think Digi-Key still has a couple dual log taper pots, although
most of them are kind of junky.

I'd guess introducing the word 'tracking' wouldn't be too

popular...?

If you're serious about tracking, you either go for switches or
digital.

If one rummages around the surplus market there are still some dual
AB-type pots around.

Lorin David Schultz

"Julian Adamaitis" wrote:

Everyone seems so concerned about keeping unbalanced lengths short,
but in the real world, you can usually go a lot farther than what
is spec'd.

1. Farther than "specified?" What's the "specified" distance for an
unbalanced line?

2. Maybe where *you* are. I used to have to work in a space that was an
RF/EMI circus. In that place, unbalanced lines more than a few feet
long picked up airborne crap.

3.Everyone is concerned about keeping unbalanced lines short in THIS
case because the pot ****s with the source impedance.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Julian Adamaitis

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
"Julian Adamaitis" wrote:

Everyone seems so concerned about keeping unbalanced lengths short,
but in the real world, you can usually go a lot farther than what
is spec'd.

1. Farther than "specified?" What's the "specified" distance for an
unbalanced line?

Somebody here specified 8 feet for this application.

I've heard other people spout pearls of wisom like "never use more than 12
feet of unbalanced audio".

2. Maybe where *you* are. I used to have to work in a space that was an
RF/EMI circus. In that place, unbalanced lines more than a few feet long
picked up airborne crap.

No doubt in a worse case environment like that it is true. I referred to
the "real world". An environment like you describe is the exception, not
the norm. Even in marginal environments you can usually easily run more
than 12 feet. I re-built some radio / TV studios at a high school where
there is an AM tower a mile away down in a swamp, and the RFI was quite bad.
The AC grounds were different in different rooms also and there were hum
problems. Using good grounding, balanced audio etc, I was able to eliminate
the problems as I re-built each studio and even as I interconnected them.
At one point for reasons I won't go into I needed to run unbalanced quite
far for 16 audio workstations with sound blaster unbalanced ins and outs.
The teacher was too cheap to buy balun boxes or sound cards with balanced
audio for this project, so I agreed to try unbalanced first. I was able to
run unbalanced even in this hostile environment up to 150 feet without hum
or RFI. I've heard other similar stories.

3.Everyone is concerned about keeping unbalanced lines short in THIS case
because the pot ****s with the source impedance.

That would be true, but with a 10k pot I don't think it matters much if you
use 8 feet or 20 feet of cable.

Julian

Paul Stamler

"Julian Adamaitis" wrote in message

3.Everyone is concerned about keeping unbalanced lines short in THIS

case
because the pot ****s with the source impedance.

That would be true, but with a 10k pot I don't think it matters much if

you
use 8 feet or 20 feet of cable.

With an 8' cable you have a worst-case rolloff of 106kHz. With a 20' cable,
it drops to 42kHz. That's low enough that with a first-order rolloff (which
this would be) you'd get about a dB of droop at the top of the audio
spectrum. Whether that matters or not is of course for each user to decide.

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler

"Aaron Smith" wrote in message
ok i am using a 5 meter cable for the right and 3 meter for the left, is
that wrong should they be the same length?
it seems to sound fine though.

What is the driving impedance? What is the load impedance? What is the
capacitance of the cable you're using? Without knowing those numbers it's
impossible to know whether this will cause a problem.

Peace,
Paul

William Sommerwerck

Somebody here specified you could only go 8 feet with unbalanced.

It depends. If the control center and the speakers are on the same breaker, and
you don't run the cables too close to AC lines, you should be able to go much
farther with unbalanced. "Try it and see!"

The amp powering my side speakers connects to the surround processor with 12'
unbalanced cables, and I have no problems.