Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.pro

Default another puzzler

On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:01:06 GMT, Carey Carlan
wrote:

(Don Pearce) wrote in news:4dd0c3d7.381246241
:

That isn't the final situation. I will take this a step at a time.

There are three doors - one with a car, two with goats

I choose one. I have a 1 in 3 chance of being right

That means there is a 2 in 3 chance of the car being in the other two

I know for a fact that at least one of the other two is a goat.

That does not change the odds - it is still 2 in 3 that the car is in
one of those

The host shows me one of the two - one he knows to contain a goat.

This is not new information, I knew there was a goat there, I still
know there was a goat there.

The odds are still 2 in 3 that the car is in one of those two doors.

Stop there.
No, I didn't know there was a goat THERE. I knew there was a goat
behind at least one of the door besides the one I chose, but I didn't
know which one. Now a variable is removed from the equation.

Revealing a goat behind a door doesn't change the odds?
Of course it does.
Otherwise, revealing the car behind a door also wouldn't change the
odds.

Once the host has revealed a goat, then there's an even chance that the
car is behind one of the two remaining doors--and I have no information
either way (unless you're counting the psychological factors) that the
door I chose is or is not the correct one.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I still don't see the logic.

But now those 2 in 3 odds have been concentrated into the one
remaining door of the two, which I will open because that is better
than the 1 in 3 chance of it being my first choice.

Sorry, but if you don't get it by now, you simply aren't going to.
Give up and try something else.

Tall black people continue to push not tall black people around BretLudwig Audio Opinions 0 December 5th 08 08:35 AM
people helping people jim79 Pro Audio 1 August 19th 08 08:06 AM
FS:dbx, Valley People etcFor Sale 1 - dbx 586 Tube Mic Preamp•Perfect condition in original box $400.00 1-Valley People Dynamite •Very good condition$300.00 1 - Valley People 415 DeEsser$250.00 •Great DeEss Derek Studios Marketplace 0 June 6th 05 08:49 PM
Note to the politically challenged in RAO Sander deWaal Audio Opinions 2 April 2nd 04 06:58 AM
Some people have had enough... Sandman Audio Opinions 4 December 10th 03 07:51 PM