wideglide340

last time i checked i had not seen any home speaker enclosures made from
fiberglass. although you can get plastic ones at radio shack and
walmart. fiberglass is a great tool. i usually coat any of my highend
enclosures with 2 coats of resin inside and out. also glass baffles and
trim panels are really cool but theres no replacement for mdf when it
comes to sq.

--
wideglide340
wideglide340's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=32811

Landon Roberts

Default Fiberglass

The only reason the use MDF is because it is cheap and easy to work
with. I make fiberglass boxes for a living, and have found that
anything that is 100% fiberglass sounds a lot better than combined MDF
and fiberglass, or just MDF alone. Anyone interested in buying
fiberglass e-mail me at

MOSFET

I make fiberglass boxes for a living, and have found that
anything that is 100% fiberglass sounds a lot better than combined MDF
and fiberglass, or just MDF alone.

OK, I call BS on that. Fiberglass IS lighter than MDF and is therefore
desirable where weight is an issue (performance cars, street racers, etc.),
but honestly, the job of an enclosure is simply to hold a volume of air
without flexing (this volume of air acts as a spring against the speaker
cone). Absolutley any material (brick, marble, glass, steel, plastic, etc.)
will make a perfect enclosue as long as the volume of air contained does not
change as air pressure increases and decreases.

MOSFET

Cyrus

In article .com,
"Landon Roberts" wrote:

The only reason the use MDF is because it is cheap and easy to work
with. I make fiberglass boxes for a living, and have found that
anything that is 100% fiberglass sounds a lot better than combined MDF
and fiberglass, or just MDF alone. Anyone interested in buying
fiberglass e-mail me at

I gotta hear this one. Please explain further why glassed enclosures
sound better.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

AntiSpammer

:P

Les

"wideglide340" wrote in
message news:1108390100.ef39c60aef7085ef5bf8506ee590092f@t eranews...

last time i checked i had not seen any home speaker enclosures made from
fiberglass. although you can get plastic ones at radio shack and
walmart. fiberglass is a great tool.

Exactly, it is merely a tool. A means to get something done where for
whatever reason a typical wood style box won't work. SQ is not a factor.

i usually coat any of my highend
enclosures with 2 coats of resin inside and out.

Why?

also glass baffles and
trim panels are really cool but theres no replacement for mdf when it
comes to sq.

What makes you say that?

Fiberglass Instructional Videos onehawaiian Car Audio 2 January 30th 05 02:15 AM
How much fiberglass = MDF jw007 Car Audio 5 January 10th 05 11:22 PM
Working with fiberglass?? Robert Easton Car Audio 2 June 23rd 04 02:31 PM
Fiberglass info Dave Car Audio 1 April 17th 04 09:30 AM
which method for fiberglass actually works? Kevin McMurtrie Car Audio 5 July 31st 03 12:12 AM