Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steven Sullivan

Default Question about frequency content in LP

Steven Sullivan wrote:
BEAR wrote:
Several of the 70's albunms have been remastered as HDCD, in the last year or
two. I have 'Anthem of the Sun'.

Anthem of The Sun is 1) from the second mix version, afaik, the original mix was
"lost" by Warner Bros many years ago. (ca 1975) 2) it's a Warner Bros issue, not
a Grateful Dead Records issue - different animal.

Not beign a Dead fan, I wasn't aware of such distinctions. My understanding,
though, is that remaining Dead members were involved int he Warner HDCD reissue
series...persumably signing off on the final product.

But as noted, I've heard this on other releases of other artists as well, and it baffles
me... Guess the record companies don't care at all. Too bad, most of the tape will
go bye-bye within the next decade or two and all we will be left with is the pathetic
digital "masters."

I'll check a few .wavs that I have stored to hard drive, but offhand I don't recall seeing
any with NO content belwo 40 Hz.

Dropping like a rock would be a better description.

If forced to I would resurrect the page so you can look into it. But as noted, I was
looking specifically at GD releases of older material from their catalog on their
label and comparing it to other releases like Dafos, Planet Drum and Dorian
recordings, and referencing that all back to subjective listening to LP of the
same releases. I also noted that Ringo Starr's first solo album also has "missing"
LF information according to subjective listening.

Well, Like I said, I'll try to remmeber to have a look at the .wavs
I have at hand , and perhaps check soem from my oldest CDs
-- if they drop like a rock belwo 40Hz, they shouldn't
appear bright yellow in that range in Cool Edit. ;

I looked at 'Come Together' from the Abbey Road CD ,
plus a few from 1987 -- they all had 40 Hz content, sometimes robust
down to 30 Hz or so. None had any evidnece of brickwall filtering.
Of course levels dropped off as you went lower, usually starting in
the upper 30's.

I also looked at a track or from the Rhino HDCD remaster of Anthem of the Sun
...tehre was some *serious* low frequency content for part of one
track . But nothing much above 10 kHz.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director