Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers
Mick

Default Mick's AX84 High Octane Build: Circuit board layout and soldering...

Folks,

Started on the circuit board last night. Worked about 6 hours and still
not finished, but made good progress. Take a look directly he

www.charlestonarea.com/octane/octane_feb_13.htm

Or start at the beginning he

www.charlestonarea.com/octane

Best to all,
Mick

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers
RickH

Mick wrote:
Folks,

Started on the circuit board last night. Worked about 6 hours and still
not finished, but made good progress. Take a look directly he

www.charlestonarea.com/octane/octane_feb_13.htm

Or start at the beginning he

www.charlestonarea.com/octane

Best to all,
Mick

Looking good!

Are you using metal film resistors throughout?

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers
Mick

RickH said:
***
Are you using metal film resistors throughout?
***

Yes, except for the higher wattage resistors. And in anticipation of
the inevitable discussion, I have never been able to tell any
difference in sound based on resistor type, but I have confirmed that
the metals are far better toleranced and stable (all the films are 1%,
the oxides are 5%). I welcome any scientific proof that a different
resistor type sounds better, or even a single verified test of any
sonic difference at all.

Mick

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers
t.hoehler

"Mick" wrote in message
ups.com...
RickH said:
***
Are you using metal film resistors throughout?
***

Yes, except for the higher wattage resistors. And in anticipation of
the inevitable discussion, I have never been able to tell any
difference in sound based on resistor type, but I have confirmed that
the metals are far better toleranced and stable (all the films are 1%,
the oxides are 5%). I welcome any scientific proof that a different
resistor type sounds better, or even a single verified test of any
sonic difference at all.

Mick

Just from personal experience, metal films are quieter than carbon comp
resistors. I always liked the clean, shiny colorful look of 1/2 watt and 1
watt A-B carbon resistors. But in the front end of a high gain tube amp, the
metal film resistors are sooo much quieter. Not better sound, just less
hiss. OTOH, when you remove the hiss (surface noise) from 78 rpm disc
playback, the music somehow dies a little bit.
Strange, but that's how I hear it.
Regards,
Tom

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers
Iain Churches

"t.hoehler" wrote in message

"Mick" wrote in message
ups.com...
RickH said:
***
[...]

A pal of mine who builds very good guitar amps, uses carbon resistors
in selected positions. They make the amp sound "just as it should" in
his opinion.

OTOH, when you remove the hiss (surface noise) from 78 rpm disc playback,
the music somehow dies a little bit.
Strange, but that's how I hear it.

Interesting observation. I do quite a lot of restoration from 78rpm
shellac discs. When listening to the surface noise, one sometimes
gets the impression there is more hf content in the music than there
actually is.

Iain

Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amplifiers
Mick

Tom observed:
***
Just from personal experience, metal films are quieter than carbon comp

resistors. I always liked the clean, shiny colorful look of 1/2 watt
and 1
watt A-B carbon resistors. But in the front end of a high gain tube
amp, the
metal film resistors are sooo much quieter. Not better sound, just less

hiss. OTOH, when you remove the hiss (surface noise) from 78 rpm disc
playback, the music somehow dies a little bit.
Strange, but that's how I hear it.
***

Hello Tom,

I have heard about the noise difference, but these old Sonarman's ears
can't tell one from another. I have to agree about removing noise on
old records; sort of like colorizing old black a white films. My old
SRs get composites because they are appropriate for that era.

Mick