Default I just want accurate-sounding music!

OK, I'm reading posting after posting, web page after web page,
regarding what's the best equipment for music, what's best for home
theater, what's best for surround. Everyone has a different opinion or
a favorite brand -- most recommend going to a hifi dealer and trying
out different speakers and amps.

All I want is to hear music as if the musicians were standing in front
of me playing their instruments. I want a recording of a symphony
orchestra to sound like I'm seated in the theater. I want a recording
of a jazz combo to sound like I'm seated in the front row of the
nightclub. I want a Norah Jones CD to sound like she's sitting across
the room and singing to me. I want a recording of me playing the
trombone to sound like me playing the trombone. I want live music to
sound like live music. I know that a lot depends on the recording
technique, but let's set that aside for now and assume as perfect a
recording as possible.

So... is this a lot to ask? Isn't it really the *only* thing to ask?
Is sound reproduction that subjective that no one can agree on a
particular system that will do this? Or maybe, are we talking about a
$100,000 system here to be able to be that accurate?

All I want to know is, with my measly $500-$750 (or less?), isn't there
a specific receiver/speaker combination that will produce what I want
to hear? Or am I just searching in vain at this price point? Maybe
I'm just too idealistic and the ability to reproduce live music is too
expensive to consider.

Thanks,
Bryan

MINe 109

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

You'll need implanted dental speaker drivers to reproduce bone
conduction for the trombone. There was an RAO lurker who would do such
things...

So... is this a lot to ask? Isn't it really the *only* thing to ask?
Is sound reproduction that subjective that no one can agree on a
particular system that will do this? Or maybe, are we talking about a
$100,000 system here to be able to be that accurate?

The system closest to what you describe wasn't nearly that expensive
until one considered the cost of design and the special recordings.

All I want to know is, with my measly $500-$750 (or less?), isn't there
a specific receiver/speaker combination that will produce what I want
to hear? Or am I just searching in vain at this price point? Maybe
I'm just too idealistic and the ability to reproduce live music is too
expensive to consider.

At that price, you're choosing among compromises. You stand a chance at
enjoyable small-scale reproduction with limited frequency range: better
for Norah than for Renee Fleming. Or to put it another way, a back-row
balcony seat instead of center orchestra at the symphony hall.

And your room has to let this all happen. Are you asking for a specific
recommendation or just whether it's possible to get good sound cheap?

Stephen

Stpehen

Hi Stephen, thank you. I guess you answered my most pressing question
-- is it possible to reproduce live music accurately for $500-$750 --
and the answer seems to be "no."

So, that being said, I suppose I am now asking for a specific
recommendation. Or is sound reproduction so subjective that anyone's
recommendation outside my own experience is irrelevant? Maybe I need
to find someone with similar musical tastes (live jazz, classical,
acapella vocals, theater) on a similar budget.

I guess a good followup question would be -- can you buy sound
reproduction components based on specs alone and expect the result to
match the specs? I'm thinking that if that's true, then Consumer
Reports recommendations are as good as any, and better than a
salesman's.

Thank you again!
Bryan

dave weil

On 14 Feb 2005 10:09:55 -0800, wrote:

Hi Stephen, thank you. I guess you answered my most pressing question
-- is it possible to reproduce live music accurately for $500-$750 --
and the answer seems to be "no."

So, that being said, I suppose I am now asking for a specific
recommendation. Or is sound reproduction so subjective that anyone's
recommendation outside my own experience is irrelevant?

Not irrelevant, just not absolute. Everyone perceives music
differently, which is what makes the whole search for "appropriate"
reproduction a very personal thing. Others can help quantify and
narrow the search though. The thing is, you have to do the heavy
lifting yourself.

Maybe I need
to find someone with similar musical tastes (live jazz, classical,
acapella vocals, theater) on a similar budget.

Well, that might help. Especially if they have something set up that
you can listen to.

I guess a good followup question would be -- can you buy sound
reproduction components based on specs alone and expect the result to
match the specs? I'm thinking that if that's true, then Consumer
Reports recommendations are as good as any, and better than a
salesman's.

You can certainly get something that's acceptable in your price range.
The key component is going to be the speaker. The speaker's voice
needs to be compatable with what you value most in music.

Considering your musical choices, you want to look for something that
offers a modicum of transparency, even if it sacrifices ultimate
dynamic range. I'm sure that there are people who have some
experiences that they can bring to bear, but I'm not current enough to
offer any concrete suggestions.

Buying speakers "on spec" is a dicey proposition at best. I'd go out
and try to hear as many speakers in your price range as possible and I
think you'll begin to see some clear leaders after only a few
sessions. Keep in mind though, as Stephen said, you will have to take
your room into consideration. Hopefully you can audition a few things
in the actual room where you will be listening to music, although it's
getting harder and harder to do that.
MINe 109

In article . com,
wrote:

Hi Stephen, thank you. I guess you answered my most pressing question
-- is it possible to reproduce live music accurately for $500-$750 --
and the answer seems to be "no."

So, that being said, I suppose I am now asking for a specific
recommendation. Or is sound reproduction so subjective that anyone's
recommendation outside my own experience is irrelevant? Maybe I need
to find someone with similar musical tastes (live jazz, classical,
acapella vocals, theater) on a similar budget.

Sure, especially if you can find someone with a room similar to yours.
Read some online reviews to see if there's a common thread in the
descriptions. One place to start could be Robert Reina's budget speaker
reviews at stereophile.com.

I've seen positive mention of PSB, Epos, and Magnepan, but there are
many mo Energy, Paradigm, NHT, etc.

I guess a good followup question would be -- can you buy sound
reproduction components based on specs alone and expect the result to
match the specs?

The published specs are the best you can expect, but do you know what
the specs mean for the subjective experience? OTOH, I bought my main
speakers without audition and they do have okay numbers.

To mention the room again, if you are going to put your speakers close
to the wall, you would need to be careful with rear-ported speakers.

I'm thinking that if that's true, then Consumer
Reports recommendations are as good as any, and better than a
salesman's.

Not necessarily. Specs will so similar as to be meaningless, and the
recommendations are not necessarily based on your criteria (does CR
still mark down for not having tone controls?). You also may not share
CR's biases for speakers (flattest might not sound the best and you
might not care about sound away from the listening position).

If I might offer my example, for my main system, I bought a second-hand
NAD integrated for about the price of a CR-approved commodity receiver.
Since my listening room sounds pretty good, I had the luxury of knowing
that most any speaker would work well, except corner speakers, that is.

So, cheap out on electronics, and hedge your bets on speakers.

Stephen

Sander deWaal

said:

Hi Stephen, thank you. I guess you answered my most pressing question
-- is it possible to reproduce live music accurately for $500-$750 --
and the answer seems to be "no."

So, that being said, I suppose I am now asking for a specific
recommendation. Or is sound reproduction so subjective that anyone's
recommendation outside my own experience is irrelevant? Maybe I need
to find someone with similar musical tastes (live jazz, classical,
acapella vocals, theater) on a similar budget.

I guess a good followup question would be -- can you buy sound
reproduction components based on specs alone and expect the result to
match the specs? I'm thinking that if that's true, then Consumer
Reports recommendations are as good as any, and better than a
salesman's.

My advice to you would be:
Look around in the second-hand market, especially for speakers.
In this budget range, I'd say the speakers are the most important
factor.

More money buys you mostly more bass.
Knowing this , you could start out with some good 2-way speakers ( not
staellites!), and add a subwoofer later.

I have lived with Epos ES-11 two-way speakers for years and was very
happy with them. Used them with a variety of amps, even tubes.
They still serve as "monitors" in my little home studio.

Speakers should be auditioned at home, whenever possible.
I doubt you'll find any second-hand seller allowing this, but in case
you're planning to buy new, it's certainly something to ask of the
salesman.

Speakers are very person-dependent.
I now have Magnepans, which I'll never trade for anything else.
People visiting me have opinions all over the map, though.
Some love' em, some hate' em.
No telling.

The rest:
Add in a small Rotel or NAD amp and CD player and you have a basic 2
channel system.
If you're after multichannel, I have to pass on advice.

Good luck in your search!

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Thank you, Dave -- I appreciate your help. I think you're right about
buying speakers "on spec," since so much is dependent on the cabinet
design and materials, the driver quality, the crossovers, etc. and of
course all of this changes from model to model and year to year. Geez,
you'd figure that after over 100 years of sound reproduction, someone
would have figured out the "perfect" speaker design by now and there
would only be one choice in speakers. :-)

I just looked at Cambridge Soundworks web site. They have a Cambridge
SoundWorks Ensemble 208 Subwoofer/Satellite Speaker Package for $399.
It's in my price range and has decent reviews. Bose has the
Acoustimass 3 Series IV for a little less. I already have three BIC
Venturi V52 bookshelf speakers that I could use for rear and center
channels, so I figure I only need the sub and mains. Hopefully the
BICs being as accurate as they are will match the rest of the system.
Even BIC America has a three-piece set, but I don't know how good they
are. I don't know, it seems so confusing for such a simple goal. ;-)

I usually listen to acoustic or vocal music at "natural" sound level -
meaning at or maybe a little above the dB level of a live performance.
The system will be installed in my home office, which is carpeted and
is about a rectagular 19'x23'. So I'm thinking I don't need a lot in
the way of power - maybe 50W/channel or so. I'll need to buy a
surround receiver/amp, DVD player and the three-piece speaker set. I'd
spend the most on the speaker set, maybe even postponing the other
components until later to spend as much as needed on good speakers.

Well, that's my story. Thank you for your opinions!

Bryan

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

OK, I'm reading posting after posting, web page after web page,
regarding what's the best equipment for music, what's best for home
theater, what's best for surround. Everyone has a different opinion
or a favorite brand -- most recommend going to a hifi dealer and
trying out different speakers and amps.

All I want is to hear music as if the musicians were standing in front
of me playing their instruments.

In general this is mission impossible. There are a number of prerequisites
for this experience, and unless you make your own recordings, you don't have
them all.

I want a recording of a symphony
orchestra to sound like I'm seated in the theater. I want a recording
of a jazz combo to sound like I'm seated in the front row of the
nightclub. I want a Norah Jones CD to sound like she's sitting across
the room and singing to me. I want a recording of me playing the
trombone to sound like me playing the trombone. I want live music to
sound like live music. I know that a lot depends on the recording
technique, but let's set that aside for now and assume as perfect a
recording as possible.

It's not a matter of the perfection of the recording, its a matter of taste
and circumstance.

So... is this a lot to ask?

In specific cases, probably not. In general, its a lot to ask for.

Isn't it really the *only* thing to ask?

Not everybody thinks that "in-your-face" is where the musicians should be.
In many cases, an acoustic perspective of the musicians "in-your-face",
spread from left to right and front to back is something that never happened
in the real world. IOW, the musicians never all played together in the same
room. Even if they did, they may were probably not set out the way you would
like them to be.

Is sound reproduction that subjective that no one can agree on a
particular system that will do this?

In many senses, yes. First, we would need some kind of agreement about what
should be reproduced.

Or maybe, are we talking about a
$100,000 system here to be able to be that accurate?

I suspect that it might not take that much money to do it well enough, if
enough basic parameters could be agreed-upon.

All I want to know is, with my measly $500-$750 (or less?), isn't
there a specific receiver/speaker combination that will produce what
I want to hear?

I seriously doubt it. For one thing the original recording would be very
important. I don't think there is any extant standard recording format that
would in general do what you seem to want.

About as close as we might be able to come to what you seem to want, would
probably require a new recording format that would include one or more
discrete channels for every sound source. For example, there might be 4, 5,
or 6 channels for every musician - the sounds the musician makes in the
four, five or six ordinal directions. Then there would have to be a device
in your stereo that modified the sound in those channels in such a way that
each would sound appropriate to your chosen location, given your choices
about how the musicians would be arranged in some virtual space. It is
possible that there might be as few as one channel per musician or small
group of musicians of a kind, and the rest might be synthesized.

Hehe... Arny, I like you; you're a literal as I am. :-) You're right,
to get every nuance of say, a solo violinist, you would want several
microphones picking up all of the hamonics, the player's breathing, the
rustle of his/her clothing, the fingers on the fretboard. Of course in
a live performace you'd have to be nose-to-nose with the player to hear
all that. OK OK, I give... let's get realistic. :-) I don't want
"in-your-face" as much as I want "in the audience."

I think what I meant to say by "assume as perfect a recording as
possible" is just that. Assume that I have found the best recording
available of what I want to listen to. This may be a 5.1 Dolby
DVD-Audio recording, or a mono vinyl LP (yes, I still have my Dual 502
turntable!). I don't want the sound system to add or subtract anything
from what the recording engineers created. How's that? :-)

Are there any web sites that have suggestions/recommendations of setups
for people who desire to hear a certain kind of sound, hopefully
bracketed by budget levels? Thank you MINe for the stereophile.com
suggestion.

Bryan

Hey, thank you for that reference to stereophile.com! I found a
reviewer there that I immediately liked. Robert Reina reviews the PSB
Image B25 speakers and he listens to and appreciates the same type of
music I do -- woohoo! Now this is what I'm looking for in a speaker:

"The entire midrange was dead neutral, liquid, and holographic-but
when this was combined with an extraordinary level of detail
resolution, perfectly articulate transients, and a broad, continuous,
organic presentation of the entire dynamic envelope, the overall sonic
picture inspired me to strip-mine my music collection for well-recorded
acoustic instruments."

Cool -- my kind of guy. :-) This makes me want to go out and buy
these speakers sight-unseen. I hope he's not a salesman for PSB. hehe
If you read the rest of his review, he tests the speakers on mostly
jazz piano, vocals and classical. And even some Sade -- nice; my kind
of music. I only hope his reference system isn't a $20K setup and that
I can use speakers like these with a modest receiver -- maybe in the
$200-$400 range. It even sounds like these speakers don't really need
a subwoofer for the kind of music I like.

Bryan

Just a quick link to those of you who are wondering the same things I
am. At stereophile.com, there was a vote taken that answers my
question about whether live performance can be reproduced faithfully.
The question was:

"Have you ever heard an audio system that faithfully reproduced the
sound of real, live musicians? What was it?"

There are some insightful and informative answers he

http://cgi.stereophile.com/cgi-bin/showvote.cgi?393

Enjoy!

mick

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:59:23 -0800, bryan_cass wrote:

[...]

snip

May I make a suggestion? Before you start to spend a lot of money on
equipment go out and listen to as much *live* music as possible. You can't
aim for a target that you can't see.

My personal recommendation is to listen to a reasonable valve amp into
some sensitive speakers. It may not measure well, and may not produce
truly "realistic" sound, but for sheer "exuberance" in music some of these
setups take a lot of beating. This isn't just bull... Low power amps into
sensitive speakers (especially horns) can give almost frighteningly
"immediate" results (I nearly wrote "frighteningly realistic" but that
would have been inaccurate given the title of this thread!) - even if
there isn't a lot of bass and the top end is ragged!

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Thanks Mick. I think I have enough listening experience already to
know what I like. I have played trombone and tuba in concert bands for
about 12 years now. I have played trombone in orchestra pits for
musicals over the past 8 years. I played trombone and sang in a big
band from 1995 to 2003. I played piano and sang for our church from
1998 to 2003. I have been in marching bands and orchestras since jr.
high school and played piano since I was 9. Not to mention just
playing instruments at home as well, and of course attending
professional concerts. I'm 43, and I want to finally buy a sound
system that I can immerse myself in, rather than making price the
driving factor as it has since my first Realistic stereo in 1975. I
want to enjoy my hearing while I still can! ;-)

Bryan

mick

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:12:25 -0800, bryan_cass wrote:

Thanks Mick. I think I have enough listening experience already to know
what I like. I have played trombone and tuba in concert bands for about
12 years now. I have played trombone in orchestra pits for musicals over
the past 8 years. I played trombone and sang in a big band from 1995 to
2003. I played piano and sang for our church from 1998 to 2003. I have
been in marching bands and orchestras since jr. high school and played
piano since I was 9. Not to mention just playing instruments at home as
well, and of course attending professional concerts. I'm 43, and I want
to finally buy a sound system that I can immerse myself in, rather than
making price the driving factor as it has since my first Realistic stereo
in 1975. I want to enjoy my hearing while I still can! ;-)

Lol! Yep - I can go with that... :-)
Thanks for the link (next thread) by the way, there were some interesting

I have tried recording my own acoustic guitar playing & playing it back as
a test but never really satisfactorily. Ok, my gear is very limited but I
don't think we can actually obtain *realism*. We can get *apparent
realism* though - sometimes. I'm not sure that you can just nip to the
shop and buy a system that does what you want though. Specifications don't
tell you how it sounds; the shop has different accoustics to your
listening room; you had something different for breakfast. I dunno, there
are a thousand reasons why sometimes you get that WOW! feeling and other
times it just doesn't work. It certainly isn't just based on price, the
number of watts or the THD% though. It seems to work better when you are
relaxed, in a comfortable chair and holding a glass of something warming
though. :-)

If you appreciate brass (dunno why I should think that...) then *please*
try to listen to a valve amp as I suggested. I think you'll like it!

I think the most startled that I have been by audio gear was when someone
switched a radio chat show on in a large shop (many years ago now). The
loudspeakers were the Quad "electrostatic radiators". The sheer clarity
had me looking round for the speaker for a few moments... I also once
heard a demo at a hi-fi show in a hotel. The Linn setup there was terrible
and did no justice to the gear at all. What stole the show for me was a
system using "The Rock" turntable and some very nice (expensive) valve
monoblock amps (I've a feeling that they may have been Krell). The
demonstrators had stuck to fairly simple material (wisely IMHO) and the
effect was stunning. Unfortunately I have no Idea what the rest of the
stuff was now!

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

Hehe... Arny, I like you; you're a literal as I am. :-) You're
right, to get every nuance of say, a solo violinist, you would want
several microphones picking up all of the hamonics, the player's
breathing, the rustle of his/her clothing, the fingers on the
fretboard.

Actually the several mics would be more likely required to capture the fact
that the energy given off by a violin player varies considerably along the
ordinal directions.

Of course in a live performace you'd have to be
nose-to-nose with the player to hear all that.

????

OK OK, I give...
let's get realistic. :-) I don't want "in-your-face" as much as I
want "in the audience."

My point is that what you really want is what you want, when you want it.
One time you may want in-your-face and another time you may want
in-audience-over-here and then the next time you might want in-the-audience
over there. The methodology I outlined might possibly deliver such a thing.
It seems to me that little else would.

I think what I meant to say by "assume as perfect a recording as
possible" is just that. Assume that I have found the best recording
available of what I want to listen to. This may be a 5.1 Dolby
DVD-Audio recording, or a mono vinyl LP (yes, I still have my Dual 502
turntable!). I don't want the sound system to add or subtract
anything from what the recording engineers created. How's that? :-)

Without begging the point, what you might want is a system largely composed
near-field monitors.

Are there any web sites that have suggestions/recommendations of
setups for people who desire to hear a certain kind of sound,
hopefully bracketed by budget levels?

In all of our dreams...

Thank you MINe for the stereophile.com suggestion.

Stereophile is overtly dedicated to audio's high end, as in the high priced
segment of any particular product segment. IOW in the produce segment area
of near-field-monitors they have posted reviews of expensive near-field
monitors (e.g. Genelec), but not good inexpensive ones (e.g. Behringer).

Clyde Slick

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

But that's not the real world. Most recordings are not live ensemble
performances. But you want them to sound as if they were. That's
fine, that's what I like, too. But it isn't accuracy. **** accuracy.
I want to enjoy my listening experience.

Tecumseh

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey, thank you for that reference to stereophile.com! I found a
reviewer there that I immediately liked. Robert Reina reviews the PSB

I was going to suggest PSB to you and now you mentioned it.
That is the way I went. Years ago I bought book-shelf PSB's(Alpha series)
and they are beyond description. They also came in at a tidy $200 Canadian!
Just last month I bought the older model 5T tower Psb's and the matching
centre channel. They have brought out their new models with better drivers
etc....and as a result, I got what I think is a good speaker pair for
$699CDN.
Problem is I have yet to use them.
Anyways, you can't go wrong with PSB and if you have any questions just
phone them up and they take real time to help you out.
Good Luck
Tec

Bryan

OK, I'll bite. What's a valve amp? Sounds like some kind of
water-cooled equipment. :-) I wasn't considering components, if
that's what that is, nor tube equipment. I don't think I really want
to sink a lot of time, energy and capital into finding the perfect
sound system. So I gather from this thread that we really can't
reproduce "realism" consistently, so just find something that you're
satisfied with. Maybe in 100 more years or so, technology will have
advanced far enough to be able to consistently do what I'm asking for.
Just tell your holodeck "I want Diana Krall to sing to me" and it
happens. I think I'm living in the wrong century. ;-)

Anyhow, since this is an opinion group, I'll give my opinion about
music reproduction. I think we are so used to heavily processed,
and/or badly recorded or played-back music, that we as a culture have
almost forgotten what live music sounds like. Live music was the
*only* music until about 100 years ago. But we've become so removed
from the performance that we're satisfied with the electronic version.
Geez, even live concerts are heavily processed though electronics.
That's OK I guess... until holodecks are invented anyway. :-)

All of this stems just from my own preference to acoustic instruments
and vocals. I understand that people like synthesized music -- and
after all, music is music no matter what the medium. I suppose I'm
just complaining that those who like synthesized music have an easier
time than I finding a satisfying sound system. ;-)

Bryan

Bryan

I guess by "accuracy" I mean "what the recording engineer intended to
produce." If your sound reproduction system taints what the recording
engineer created, then that's not "accurate" in my opinion. Now, we
can discuss whether or not it's even *possible* to record a live
instrument or voice so that it's exactly reproducible.

Geez, is this rec.audio.philosophy? :-)

Bryan

Quality, yes. But accuracy?

Bryan

hehe... no. :-) I take it you don't agree?

Bryan

I'm sorry, but I don't know you and your wit eludes me. I figured you
might post your opinion in response. Oh well.

Bryan

OK, yes I am replying to my own post. :-) But I wanted to give those
of you on a similar quest a nice web site link I found.

http://www.stereo-speaker-buyers-guide.com/index.html

Some of the text is elementary and tedious, but there's interesting
information there and also recommendations for speakers within various
price ranges. Enjoy!

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Stephen, thank you. I guess you answered my most pressing question
-- is it possible to reproduce live music accurately for $500-$750 --
and the answer seems to be "no."

So, that being said, I suppose I am now asking for a specific
recommendation. Or is sound reproduction so subjective that anyone's
recommendation outside my own experience is irrelevant? Maybe I need
to find someone with similar musical tastes (live jazz, classical,
acapella vocals, theater) on a similar budget.

I guess a good followup question would be -- can you buy sound
reproduction components based on specs alone and expect the result to
match the specs? I'm thinking that if that's true, then Consumer
Reports recommendations are as good as any, and better than a
salesman's.

Quite true. You will not be able to transport yourself aurally to the
recording venue for any amount of money. At least not with the recordings
that are currently for sale. The closest you can come is a binaural
recording played back through headphones. Such recordings exist--but just
barely.

You can do a lot worse than following Consumer Reports recommendations.

Norm Strong

Joseph Oberlander

[...]

IMO, with modern equipment, 90% of all sound "quality"
and "accuracy" comes from the speakers. I suggest that
the original poster take a look at planar or electrostatic
speakers.

All I want to know is, with my measly $500-$750 (or less?), isn't there
a specific receiver/speaker combination that will produce what I want
to hear? Or am I just searching in vain at this price point?

Magnepan makes their MMGs, but they lack bass below 50-60hz
and need a subwoofer. Their larger models are superb, though.
Almost any modern receiver will power a pair in stereo mode.
$550 a pair, though, makes it defiantely in your price range.

Surround is a whole other ball of wax and requires at least
$4000-$5000 to do correctly.(about $1500 for the receiver,
about $1000 for the sub and the rest for 6-7 speakers)

Magnepan also makes a surround setup of smaller speakers,
but they require two small subs mated with the front speakers
as they only go down to 100hz. These sound superb, though,
and are only $299 a pair.($2000 total - $900 for a 5.1 setup
plus $1100 for two small subs)

http://www.magnepan.com/index.php

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1111247138
Of course, used, there are great deals to be had. This is
essentially a full range speaker. It would knock your socks off
and into the neighbor's kitchen.

So, no, you don't have to spend $100,000 to get good sound -
for stereo, $2000 will get you 95-98% of the sound quality.

mick

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:20:08 -0800, Bryan wrote:

OK, I'll bite. What's a valve amp? Sounds like some kind of water-cooled
equipment. :-) I wasn't considering components, if that's what that is,
nor tube equipment. I don't think I really want to sink a lot of time,

grin Ahh... you arn't in the UK are you? lol!
Sorry, Bryan, its a "tube" amp. They don't *have* to be super-expensive
and esoteric you know! Some of them are actually cheaper than many
transistorised (or IC'd...) amps. They are not "clean" amps. They
introduce distortion. However, they tend to do this in a manner that
sometimes makes the music sound "smooth" and as if it has real dynamics.
Some say that this isn't "hi-fi", but it certainly makes for comfortable
listening.

energy and capital into finding the perfect sound system. So I gather
from this thread that we really can't reproduce "realism" consistently, so
just find something that you're satisfied with. Maybe in 100 more years
or so, technology will have advanced far enough to be able to consistently
do what I'm asking for. Just tell your holodeck "I want Diana Krall to
sing to me" and it happens. I think I'm living in the wrong century. ;-)

erm... maybe... :-)
With a suitable system it is *easier* to fool your ears - making it easier
to convince yourself that you are listening to reality. You don't really
need to obtain realism in order to believe that you are hearing it. The
brain is quite willing to fill in the missing info and "correct" what it
gets from the ears with enough lies to make it believable... At least for
some of the time!

[...]

It isn't easy finding music with *no* electronics added nowadays, is it?
There is usually a PA at least.

Don't listen to the stereo system - listen to the music.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

mick

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:52:55 -0800, Bryan wrote:

Quality, yes. But accuracy?

How do you intend to get it accurate without being able to read the
recording engineer's mind? ;-)

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Bryan

Not sure I follow. You mean, how do I know what the recorded
performance is supposed to sound like? It should sound like I am
present at a live performance, naturally. :-) But since I probably
wasn't there during the recording, I can only compare to what I know
the instruments should sound like in my own experience.

Or, are you saying that it's vanity to use this criteria to evaluate a
sound system?

Bryan

I think you are right on the money, Mick. This little discussion has
come full circle. It all comes back to what *I* think sounds like what
I want to hear. You, nor the salesman, nor any web site, can tell me
what equipment will produce what I want to hear, because you're not me.
At least I think you're not me. Maybe you are me but in another
dimension. Anyhow, I digress. :-)

We're back to me going to a real hifi store and listening to music I
know and like in an A-B format. I'm getting more convinced that you
shouldn't buy speakers over the internet unless you have done this kind
of testing first.

And to think I was just going to settle on someone else's opinion of
what I like! ;-)

Bryan

mick

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:06:13 -0800, Bryan wrote:

Not sure I follow. You mean, how do I know what the recorded performance
is supposed to sound like? It should sound like I am present at a live
performance, naturally. :-) But since I probably wasn't there during the
recording, I can only compare to what I know the instruments should sound
like in my own experience.

Or, are you saying that it's vanity to use this criteria to evaluate a
sound system?

No, just that only the recording engineer knew what he was trying to
achieve. It wasn't necessarily the sound of a live performance. Phil
Spector's "wall of sound" could never be realistic! In a case like that if
you produce a "realistic" sound then you have it set up all wrong! :-) I
realise that a recording of live instruments should sound right - I was
only being awkward for the hell of it... ;-)

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Clyde Slick

"Bryan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess by "accuracy" I mean "what the recording engineer intended to
produce." If your sound reproduction system taints what the recording
engineer created, then that's not "accurate" in my opinion. Now, we
can discuss whether or not it's even *possible* to record a live
instrument or voice so that it's exactly reproducible.

Geez, is this rec.audio.philosophy? :-)

Who are we to know what he intended to produce. We are not mind readers.

Clyde Slick

"Joseph Oberlander" wrote in message
k.net...

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, that's a new spec to measure, percent of sound quality.
That ought to keep you obs yapping fo a few more years.

Clyde Slick

"Bryan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not sure I follow. You mean, how do I know what the recorded
performance is supposed to sound like? It should sound like I am
present at a live performance, naturally. :-) But since I probably
wasn't there during the recording, I can only compare to what I know
the instruments should sound like in my own experience.

Or, are you saying that it's vanity to use this criteria to evaluate a
sound system?

Having a sound system present a musical reproduction as you
would expect it to or want it to sound is a terrible idea, isn't it?
how could you do such a nonsensical thing?

mick

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:14:06 -0800, Bryan wrote:

I think you are right on the money, Mick. This little discussion has come
full circle. It all comes back to what *I* think sounds like what I want
to hear. You, nor the salesman, nor any web site, can tell me what
equipment will produce what I want to hear, because you're not me.
At least I think you're not me. Maybe you are me but in another
dimension. Anyhow, I digress. :-)

hmm.... lol!

We're back to me going to a real hifi store and listening to music I know
and like in an A-B format. I'm getting more convinced that you shouldn't
buy speakers over the internet unless you have done this kind of testing
first.

Even if you have, its a dodgy thing to do...

And to think I was just going to settle on someone else's opinion of what
I like! ;-)

Get one or two CDs that you really know (and, if possible, like!) and take
them with you to a suitable emporium. Get them to set up a decent player
and amp (and if they can't do that then go and find somewhere else) then
try about 6 pairs of speakers - preferably not piled up in the shop as
they don't sound right. Don't be afraid of listening to el cheapo junk
boxes. You need to be able to recognise their weaknesses. You should also
listen to some that are *way* out of your price range as you need to know
what compromises to make. Don't let the dealer set the volume up too loud.
You can't concentrate if your ears are hurting! Don't be afraid of leaving
empty-handed either. There's no reason to think that your chosen dealer is
the right one for you.

Remember that an A-B comparison compares the differences between A and B,
not between either of them and reality! Aim to choose for maximum
enjoyment. If you can find a system where a solo grand piano sounds
realistic and a saxaphone sounds right and an acoustic guitar sounds right
then you are probably getting there... - but that won't be easy.

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Ruud Broens

"mick" wrote in message
news : On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:12:25 -0800, bryan_cass wrote:
:
: Thanks Mick. I think I have enough listening experience already to know
: what I like. I have played trombone and tuba in concert bands for about
: 12 years now. I have played trombone in orchestra pits for musicals over
: the past 8 years. I played trombone and sang in a big band from 1995 to
: 2003. I played piano and sang for our church from 1998 to 2003. I have
: been in marching bands and orchestras since jr. high school and played
: piano since I was 9. Not to mention just playing instruments at home as
: well, and of course attending professional concerts. I'm 43, and I want
: to finally buy a sound system that I can immerse myself in, rather than
: making price the driving factor as it has since my first Realistic stereo
: in 1975. *I want to enjoy my hearing while I still can! ;-)

*Hmm, well, indeed. http://orkestengehoor.nl/achtergrond.../r816_3_ra.pdf
is a dutch report from 2003 : brass section players are on average exposed to 88
dbA
SPL dayly average over a 260 day working year .

K. Kähäri (Linholmen Development, Göteborg) reported in 2003 that
only 26 % of classical orchestra performers had no hearing impairements
;
within the remaining 74 %:
41 % suffered diminished hearing capabilities
43 % suffered tinnitus
39 % suffered hyperacuses

Rudy

Bryan

I can vouch for that. I'm not a professional musician and I only play
maybe once or twice a week. But when I played in a big band in front
of the trumpet section, I actually wore earplugs sometimes because it
hurt! I do have tinnitus (ringing in the ears), but it doesn't seem to
interfere with "normal" hearing ... yet.

Ruud Broens wrote:
"mick" wrote in message
[...]

K. K=E4h=E4ri (Linholmen Development, G=F6teborg) reported in 2003 that
only 26 % of classical orchestra performers had no hearing

impairements
;
within the remaining 74 %:
41 % suffered diminished hearing capabilities
43 % suffered tinnitus
39 % suffered hyperacuses
=20
Rudy

Bryan

I would invite the guy over and we'd drink some ale and he'd listen to
my system and say "Hey, you know that's exactly what I intended to
reproduce. Nice job on the equipment selection, my man!" And we'd
high-five and part company.

Really though, my line of reason is that if one can find a sound system
that is able to reproduce the original intent of a recording, then it's
pretty darn close to "perfect," no?

Bryan

You know what would be cool? Have a sound booth with a live musician,
say a pianist, on the same soundstage as the speakers you're testing.
Have him play "live", then shut the soundproof door and mike him with a
perfect mike and amp and have him play the same thing again through the
speakers. I think I'll open a Hifi Emporium! :-)

Ruud Broens

"Bryan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I can vouch for that. I'm not a professional musician and I only play
maybe once or twice a week. But when I played in a big band in front
of the trumpet section, I actually wore earplugs sometimes because it
hurt! I do have tinnitus (ringing in the ears), but it doesn't seem to
interfere with "normal" hearing ... yet.

Some recommendations are to put the trumpet section on a platform,
and a little further to the back - this will end up in regulations in the EU.
It appears orchestra's acoustical output has been going up by several dB
the last 20 years.
Rudy

Bryan

I'm curious to know what you think sound reproduction perfection would
be.