Posted to rec.audio.tech
Vivek

Default Sub-wooofer LFE channel

Hello,

I need to buy a sub for the LFE channel in my 5.1 setup. I need to know if
this channel is already crossover'ed or do I need to buy a crossover for
this channel. If so then which LPF to use here.

Many thanks for your help

--
The best is yet to come

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 04:17:08 +0530, "Vivek" wrote:

Hello,

I need to buy a sub for the LFE channel in my 5.1 setup. I need to know if
this channel is already crossover'ed or do I need to buy a crossover for
this channel. If so then which LPF to use here.

It depends on what is providing the LFE output. Most AVRs and
pre/pros have bass-management and LFE is usually limited to 120Hz.
You will need an amplifier or and amplified subwoofer, since most of
the LFE outputs are at line level.

So, what else is in the system?

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Vivek

Thank you,

The LFE is the .1 channel as commonly referred to in DVD Video (movies). In
case this channel is already limited to 120Hz as per your reply, custom
crossover is not needed. Am I assuming correct?

--
The best is yet to come

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 04:17:08 +0530, "Vivek" wrote:

Hello,

I need to buy a sub for the LFE channel in my 5.1 setup. I need to know if
this channel is already crossover'ed or do I need to buy a crossover for
this channel. If so then which LPF to use here.

It depends on what is providing the LFE output. Most AVRs and
pre/pros have bass-management and LFE is usually limited to 120Hz.
You will need an amplifier or and amplified subwoofer, since most of
the LFE outputs are at line level.

So, what else is in the system?

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:09:34 +0530, "Vivek" wrote:

Thank you,

The LFE is the .1 channel as commonly referred to in DVD Video (movies). In
case this channel is already limited to 120Hz as per your reply, custom
crossover is not needed. Am I assuming correct?

Probably but you still have not told us the electronic device which is
being connected to the subwoofer!

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Vivek

DVD player's digital out goes to Kenwood receiver. 5 channels out of the 5.1
channel are amplified by this receiver and outputted to 5 Bose speakers. The
LFE is out as pre-amp.

Now If I buy a powered sub as you mentioned earlier, things are OK since the
powered woofer already has the crossover button for various Hz. But I have
an amp (no filter) and will buy only the woofer to complete the setup.

Thanks. I am just a reply away to complete the setup :-P

--
The best is yet to come

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message

The LFE is the .1 channel as commonly referred to in DVD Video (movies).
In
case this channel is already limited to 120Hz as per your reply, custom
crossover is not needed. Am I assuming correct?

Probably but you still have not told us the electronic device which is
being connected to the subwoofer!

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:35:45 +0530, "Vivek"
wrote:

DVD player's digital out goes to Kenwood receiver. 5 channels out of the 5.1
channel are amplified by this receiver and outputted to 5 Bose speakers. The
LFE is out as pre-amp.

Now If I buy a powered sub as you mentioned earlier, things are OK since the
powered woofer already has the crossover button for various Hz. But I have
an amp (no filter) and will buy only the woofer to complete the setup.

A powered sub, either without a filter/crossover (as I use) or with
one that can be bypassed or defeated will be sufficient.

Kal

Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
Broadcastdb - radios suggestion [email protected] Audio Opinions 0 April 7th 05 01:20 AM
FS - LECTROSONICS MODULAR AUDIO PROCESSOR - EC1 EXPANSION CONTROLLER AND AP4 16 AUTO MIC PREAMP MODULES MarkSG Pro Audio 0 March 16th 05 10:52 PM
Designs for a single frequency high performance AM-MW receiver? Gary Jensen Vacuum Tubes 141 June 30th 04 07:13 PM