Ron Hardin

Default Undamaging Turntable?

I'd like to replace a dead Gerard Zero 100 turntable (1970? anyway
it had zero tracking error but now it's a piece of junk, motor does
not run. If you leave it alone for twenty years it apparently breaks.)
to play an occasional LP from my vast collection.

The chief concern is getting something that doesn't damage the records
much. What's a good manual turntable that comes ready to play?

I guess light tracking force is the deal, but I don't know.

Fidelity isn't as much of a concern as not ruining the records.
It will play thru computer speakers. My stereo is of the same vintage
as the turntable and works about as well.
--
Ron Hardin

Gary A. Edelstein

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:27:38 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

I'd like to replace a dead Gerard Zero 100 turntable (1970? anyway
it had zero tracking error but now it's a piece of junk, motor does
not run. If you leave it alone for twenty years it apparently breaks.)
to play an occasional LP from my vast collection.

The chief concern is getting something that doesn't damage the records
much. What's a good manual turntable that comes ready to play?

I guess light tracking force is the deal, but I don't know.

Fidelity isn't as much of a concern as not ruining the records.
It will play thru computer speakers. My stereo is of the same vintage
as the turntable and works about as well.

Radio Shack still sells one that I think would meet your needs. It
even has a built in preamp so you wouldn't have to use the preamp in
your old stereo. You can't plug a turntable directly into your PC
soundcard without a preamp that does the RIAA curve.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-7000

Otherwise, go to used shops or check ebay. Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Mark D. Zacharias

Better to find a good used Technics direct-drive. The replacements such as
this Radio Shack table are total junk, and yes, they track at excessive
forces (5 grams +) and are non-adjustable. Run, don't walk, to eBay and get
the real thing.

Mark Z.

wrote:

I'd like to replace a dead Gerard Zero 100 turntable (1970? anyway
it had zero tracking error but now it's a piece of junk, motor does
not run. If you leave it alone for twenty years it apparently breaks.)
to play an occasional LP from my vast collection.

The chief concern is getting something that doesn't damage the records
much. What's a good manual turntable that comes ready to play?

I guess light tracking force is the deal, but I don't know.

Fidelity isn't as much of a concern as not ruining the records.
It will play thru computer speakers. My stereo is of the same vintage
as the turntable and works about as well.

Radio Shack still sells one that I think would meet your needs. It
even has a built in preamp so you wouldn't have to use the preamp in
your old stereo. You can't plug a turntable directly into your PC
soundcard without a preamp that does the RIAA curve.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-7000

Otherwise, go to used shops or check ebay. Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Ron Hardin

How about Stanton direct drive? Here's the STR880 without cartridge
(the cartrige that comes with it for $50 more seems to have 2-5gr
tracking force, pretty high? seems to me)

It has ``digital output'' WTF? but also line out. Does that mean
there's a RIAA compensation in it?

Possible plan, why will I regret this?

Stanton880 $199 turntable, Stanton 500E MKII cartridge (1-2gr) $29,
wire line-out to one of my fine existing Behringer analog mixers
(now used to select among shortwave radios playing into the computer),
and listen to music while working.

The goal is: play LP collection into computer without damaging the
LP, as much as possible. Fidelity secondary importance. I will
convert the desired cuts to 12kbs real audio anyway.

Maybe the 880 won't work with 1-2gr tracking force? That's why I have
to ask.
--
Ron Hardin

Mark D. Zacharias

Seems like a pretty good table. Obviously it's a DJ table, without any
automatic functions like tonearm return.
The Stanton cartridge is certainly not my choice but that is up to you - it
wouldn't damage records any more than most. Personally I prefer a Shure
higher end cartridge or a Grado for sound quality.
Yes, that's a SP/DIF format digital output, so there must be some EQ and A/D
functions in there.

Mark Z.

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
[...]

Ron Hardin

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Seems like a pretty good table. Obviously it's a DJ table, without any
automatic functions like tonearm return.
The Stanton cartridge is certainly not my choice but that is up to you - it
wouldn't damage records any more than most. Personally I prefer a Shure
higher end cartridge or a Grado for sound quality.
Yes, that's a SP/DIF format digital output, so there must be some EQ and A/D
functions in there.

Suggest an exact cartridge. My worry as a know-nothing is that the damn thing
won't fit somehow, or will have the wrong output level, or god knows what. I
was going with Stanton only to maximize the odds that it works with the
turntable, doesn't skid at light tracking forces, and such.
--
Ron Hardin

Kalman Rubinson

Don't do it. First, the site I found this on indicates that it only
has digital outputs. Second, it has a straight arm useful for DJ but
it will wreak havoc on your LPs.

Kal

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:57:02 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

How about Stanton direct drive? Here's the STR880 without cartridge
(the cartrige that comes with it for $50 more seems to have 2-5gr
tracking force, pretty high? seems to me)

It has ``digital output'' WTF? but also line out. Does that mean
there's a RIAA compensation in it?

Possible plan, why will I regret this?

Stanton880 $199 turntable, Stanton 500E MKII cartridge (1-2gr) $29,
wire line-out to one of my fine existing Behringer analog mixers
(now used to select among shortwave radios playing into the computer),
and listen to music while working.

The goal is: play LP collection into computer without damaging the
LP, as much as possible. Fidelity secondary importance. I will
convert the desired cuts to 12kbs real audio anyway.

Maybe the 880 won't work with 1-2gr tracking force? That's why I have
to ask.

Ron Hardin

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

Don't do it. First, the site I found this on indicates that it only
has digital outputs. Second, it has a straight arm useful for DJ but
it will wreak havoc on your LPs.

You're right on the sites, but the manual says it has analog outputs (I think)
http://www.stantondj.com/pdf_files/m...ers_manual.pdf
which is a link from
http://www.stantondj.com/alpha44/load.asp?page=str880

==
(page 7, conveniently printed sideways)
Analog connections
1. Connect the left (white) and right (red) plugs RCA cord to the mixer or
amplifier's left and right ``phono'' inputs. If your mixer or amplifier does not
have phono inputs [that's me!], you may swith the turntable outputs to ``line''
and connect to your mixer or amplifier's ``line'' or ``aux'' inputs.
==

Of course it is not reassuring that the sellers say it's digital only.

How does a straight arm damage the records? (Why would they make straight arms
if so?)

Sort of on first principles, the shape of the metal between cartridge and pivot doesn't
matter except for moments of inertia, it seems to me.

My Gerard 0-100 had a pivoting cartridge to eliminate tracking error but as I said, it's dead.
The arm however was straight on it.
--
Ron Hardin

Arny Krueger

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message

Don't do it. First, the site I found this on indicates that it only
has digital outputs.

Not a problem if you use it with a receiver with a digital input. In fact,
its a solution for receivers that lack mag phono inputs.

However, it's good to review this issue before buying as not all home
systems have digital inputs.

Second, it has a straight arm useful for DJ but
it will wreak havoc on your LPs.

Why would this be? As long as the cartridge is mounted with proper offset
angle and overhang, there won't be a problem.

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:10:45 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

Don't do it. First, the site I found this on indicates that it only
has digital outputs. Second, it has a straight arm useful for DJ but
it will wreak havoc on your LPs.

You're right on the sites, but the manual says it has analog outputs (I think)
http://www.stantondj.com/pdf_files/m...ers_manual.pdf
which is a link from
http://www.stantondj.com/alpha44/load.asp?page=str880

snip
Of course it is not reassuring that the sellers say it's digital only.

OK. I only looked at 2 sites. One had the erroneous info and the
other didn't say.

How does a straight arm damage the records? (Why would they make straight arms
if so?)

Sort of on first principles, the shape of the metal between cartridge and pivot doesn't
matter except for moments of inertia, it seems to me.

My Gerard 0-100 had a pivoting cartridge to eliminate tracking error but as I said, it's dead.
The arm however was straight on it.

All arms with correct geometry have overhang (stylus is beyond spindle
if swung that far) and have angled heads. Sometimes the angle is
achieved with an 's'-shaped arm and sometime with a straight arm
ending in an angled cartridge mounting. This is to keep the stylus
cantilever tangent to the groove. (Your old Garrard did this even
better, in some ways, by adjusting the angle as it tracked.) It is
required for correct reproduction and minimal record wear.

The Stanton has neither overhang nor angled mounting, both of which
make it more difficult when the DJ manipulates the records for effect.

Kal

Gary A. Edelstein

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:43:26 -0600, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

Better to find a good used Technics direct-drive. The replacements such as
this Radio Shack table are total junk, and yes, they track at excessive
forces (5 grams +) and are non-adjustable. Run, don't walk, to eBay and get
the real thing.

Do your research before you state something as fact. This one tracks
3.5 +/- 1.0 grams:

http://www.radioshack.com/ProdSuppor...D=3151&T=h tm

I don't think it will wreck his records.

Anyhow, the original poster can get whatever he desires. I can't see
spending big bucks to play LPs through PC speakers, but that's my own
opinion. Gary E