John Marsden

Default Opinions Wanted: Sub $2,000 Mic Pre/Compressor combos

Hey y'all -

I know, I know, opinions are like assholes - everybody's got one, BUT....
I'm in the market for a mic pre/compressor combo in the under $2,000 range
(slightly used or new). I'm recording through a Motu 2408MK2 and 1224 into
Digital Performer, and mixing thru the 2408 thru the 02r. Musically, besides
my TV work, I record a lot of singer/songwriters, jazz & other instrumental
music.

For example, I'm looking at the UA6176 (the combo 610 preamp with a 1176
compressor that just won the TEC award - whatever THAT means), the Focusrite
Red7 (I know Fletcher isn't a big fan of this unit - but I've used it and
like how it places whatever you record thru it at the "front" of a mix), the
Langevin Dual Vocal Combo, etc.

The selected unit would be used to record vocals (leads mostly - male &
female), lead instruments (guitar, sax, trumpet), bass, etc - anything that
I want to sit well but stick out in a mix (there's a contradiction if ever I
saw one - but y'all KNOW what I mean...). It would be my only "high end" mic
pre - aside from the stock pre's in my 02r and the Aphex tubessence unit
that I've got - although I'd like to eventually get more than one pre to
have different "colors".

Given my budget, and intended usage - what are your suggestions, opinions,
etc.? Fletcher, Mike Rivers, Pope Harvey, Hank, Scott Dorsey?!?

Oh yeah, and I want to buy it before the end of the year (gotta love those
write-offs...). Thanks all!!!!

--
John Marsden
Little-Big Sound

JR

I use the Avalon VT-737SP...I like it alot.....For alot of "character"
try a Joe Meek VC1...it has a sound to it, you may like it, you may
not....If you like the Red 7 then by all means get it....it's not always
the tools, its how you use them...

JR
DJ

I've got an Avalon 737SP, a Focusrite RED7, a old JoeMeek VC-1 and a
Forssell CS-1 sitting here and also a Great River MP2-MH which I use with a
couple of RNC's or for a more colored sound, I will use a Demeter VTMP and
the RNC's. I use them all for vocals and depending on the singer's voice and
the mic used, I'll use different combinations. If I could only keep one of
these units, I'd keep the Forssell CS-1 (though I've never seen a used CS-1
for sale) and new ones are around $2700.00.

DJ

"John Marsden" wrote in message
news
[...]

AudioGaff

"John Marsden" wrote in message newslIAb.25834 For
example, I'm looking at the UA6176 (the combo 610 preamp with a 1176
compressor that just won the TEC award - whatever THAT means), the

Focusrite
Red7 (I know Fletcher isn't a big fan of this unit - but I've used it and
like how it places whatever you record thru it at the "front" of a mix),

the
Langevin Dual Vocal Combo, etc.

I'm another big fan of the Focusrite Red-7 as a real good and consistant
performer that works well on a lot of mics and performers. It also works
great as a mono comp. And it is a TEC award winner as well. 1996/1997?
--
AudioGaff