Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Just received a new conrad-johnson GAT preamp

I just received a new tubed preamp which I will not identify (don't want to
get anyone in trouble) except to say that the maker has a hyphenated name (no
I didn't buy it. It was loaned). I don't like to think that people in this
business are purposely ripping the public off, but after looking this thing
over, I think somebody is having an costly joke at the (extreme) expense of
the audiophile community. This particular preamp is comprised of two 6922s
(6DJ8/ECC88) feeding a MOSFET buffer stage to give it a low output impedance.
The unit is divided into two sections, a digital section which uses a
microprocessor (or microcontroller) to handle the remote controllable
switching (5 high-level inputs) volume and balance duties, and of course, the
all important audio section. The audio section is very simple, and very
straightforward. If one would forego the fancy computer control section, one
could copy this circuit, using the highest quality components for less than
$300. There is virtually nothing in it. If there are any analog electronics
engineers reading this (especially those who are familiar with both tubes and
solid-state circuitry, you can probably envision this circuit in your head -
and you'd be right.

Build quality is also so-so (the remote, carved from a single block of
anodized aluminum is nicely made, though). It has a nicely made fascia with
machined plexiglass Art-Deco "covers" over the two tubes (very Flash Gordon).
The front panel is a 1/4" thick piece of gold anodized aluminum, not unlike
similar finishes used on entry-level "high-end" pieces since the old Dynaco
days. The cover is a bent piece of steel very much like that which covers a
$200 Japanese receiver. The back apron sports some nice single mounting hole
WBT style gold RCAs, but is nothing out of the ordinary. What I have
described to you is a preamp that could be built by any manufacturer of
high-end tube equipment and sold for less that $2000 retail. It's that simple
and that ordinary. But here's the reason why I have gone to all of the
trouble to describe this pre-amp to you. It retails for - sit down for this
- TWENTY THOUSAND US DOLLARS! More than many new cars. I haven't actually
listened to it yet, but for that price it would have to be head and shoulders
above anything that I can think of and it won't be, I suspect. Oh, it will be
competent and will likely perform well, but so do many other pre-amps for a
third this one's asking price and most of them look like they cost the money.
This one looks like a preamp costing ONE TENTH the price or less.

Gentlemen, looking at what this unit has in it, buyers, if any, will be
getting monumentally ripped-off. I am flabbergasted by the price of this
thing. High-end audio has finally gone TOO FAR. My humble opinion, you
understand. 8^)