Posted to rec.audio.pro
Blacktick

Default What am I missing?

I know everyone here uses expensive pro monitors and everything, but I
haven't been. I have a ~200 dollar sony stereo receiver and ~300 dollar
Onkyo speakers left and right.

Anyway I am doing midi-synth stuff, and mixing / overdubbing tracks from an
HD-24 from my band's recording space.

I should also add that I work (at work) with nice HR-824s and have a lot of
experience with those.

My point, finally--is that the mixes I do at home with my retrofitted
consumer stereo system are awesome. I have gotten to know them and know it
will sound good in the car, sound good on other people's stereos, and in
general is the final pre-master that I'm totally into and comfortable with.

I'm wondering why more people don't do this. the only place these
recordings don't sound great is on these nearfield monitors my band-buddy
has--M-audio BX8s.

There is extra bass response built into the Onkyo speakers, but every decent
consumer system also has an extended bass by default too.

So I'm not trying to gloat or anything. I want to know what's wrong
continuing on the way I am.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff@home

"Blacktick" wrote in message

I'm wondering why more people don't do this. the only place these
recordings don't sound great is on these nearfield monitors my band-buddy
has--M-audio BX8s.

People DO do this. Usually as a subset of mixing/mastering on higher
quality systems.

If you know that sort of stereo is what all your valued clients are only
ever going to listen on, there is no problem. If not, there may not
necessarily be any problem either, if you are lucky.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay

You said "do do".

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Jay wrote:

You said "do do".

But not "doo doo". ;-)

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan

"Blacktick" wrote in
:

So I'm not trying to gloat or anything. I want to know what's wrong
continuing on the way I am.

As long as you know what to listen for in your speakers to make a mix that
translates well, that's all you need.

The only time you'll have problems is when the mix has content that your
speakers don't reproduce (well). Mixing mostly MIDI and generic rock band
instruments, that probably won't happen.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff@home

"Jay" wrote in message
oups.com...
You said "do do".

Risque, eh.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Willie K. Yee, MD

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:02:56 -0500, "Blacktick"
wrote:

So I'm not trying to gloat or anything. I want to know what's wrong
continuing on the way I am.

What is wrong is that you are being un-patriotic to the point of
treason. Our economy depends of folks buying ever increasing amounts
of stuff that someone else has convinced them that they need. If we
fall into a recession, it is on your head.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Blacktick

wrote:

So I'm not trying to gloat or anything. I want to know what's wrong
continuing on the way I am.

What is wrong is that you are being un-patriotic to the point of
treason. Our economy depends of folks buying ever increasing amounts
of stuff that someone else has convinced them that they need. If we
fall into a recession, it is on your head.

I'm totally shocked I didn't get a host of reasons that this is stupid.
Spending my money on $300 software plugins is the way to go then!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steven Sena

There are no rules for any of this stuff...
It ain't rocket surgery...(Thanks Fletcher)

Steven Sena
Dig Recording
Portland Oregon

"Blacktick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Blough

"Steven Sena" wrote in
:

There are no rules for any of this stuff...

Agreed

It ain't rocket surgery...(Thanks Fletcher)

Ya, Fletcher made that one up rolls eyes
What are you, his fart-catcher?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Blough

"Blacktick" wrote in
:

"What am I missing?"

Everything below 60 Hz. probably....a symphony of midrange wot.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Joe Blough wrote:

"Steven Sena" wrote:

There are no rules for any of this stuff...

Agreed

It ain't rocket surgery...(Thanks Fletcher)

Ya, Fletcher made that one up rolls eyes
What are you, his fart-catcher?

No, Bloughjob, he's Steven Sena.

--
ha

Posts Missing? Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 9 December 2nd 04 03:18 PM
Tracks on new CD missing - help fear Pro Audio 4 November 12th 04 10:08 PM
Help--EL34 Amp with "Missing" Pin 6 on Replaced Tube-Mystery O. Alvarez Vacuum Tubes 6 May 26th 04 10:11 PM
What frequencies am I missing?? Volksturm Pro Audio 12 April 8th 04 04:53 PM
FS: The Missing Link Sheffield Labs DD LP Record Ho! Marketplace 4 November 1st 03 01:50 AM