Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eiron Eiron is offline

Default Come ride with me

Andre Jute wrote:

Hmm, I'm Irish and I live in Ireland.

Do make up your mind. Not so long ago you were ashamed to be Australian.

--
Eiron.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:33:48 +0100, Eiron wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

Hmm, I'm Irish and I live in Ireland.

Do make up your mind. Not so long ago you were ashamed to be Australian.

In his Walter Mitty world he is whatever he decides to be today. On
Monday he will be an astronaut, maybe.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 7:01 pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 10:52:35 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

On Apr 12, 4:05 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Cavellowrote:
Laurence Payne wrote

I've never known Irish people object seriously to the geographical
name. They make it clear they aren't part of the United Kingdom, of
course.

Well, you learn something new every day, don't you? The reason it's
not widely objected to in Ireland is that we hardly ever come across
it in Ireland. When we hear 'British Isles', we assume it to mean the
UK (Isle of Mann etc), and the nearby islands that belong to the UK.

The Isle of Man (note correct spelling) is not part of the UK.

I wasn't aware of that, and if I'm wrong I do apologise. But two
points come to mind:

(1) This is what wikipedia has to say on the matter: "The Crown
Dependencies of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, formally
possessions of the Crown, form a federacy with the United Kingdom
collectively known as the British Islands." I have no idea what that
means so I'm not saying it's right, but you've caused me to become
interested in its precise status. What is its relationship with the UK
then? Is it an independent country?

(2) It's ironic that you're quick to point out that the Isle of Mann
isn't in the UK but insist that Ireland is in the 'British Isles' when
few people in Ireland wish it to be termed as such. Quid pro quo?

Graham

Please try and understand.

British Islands is a political description. It does not include your
bit.

British Isles is a geographic description. It does include your bit.

There is no irony in point (2). It really is quite simple. Knock that
plank-sized chip off your shoulder and you may yet be able to see it.

Listen, I don't like having to repeat myself, but just because a term
is a geographic term rather than a political one doesn't mean Irish
people have to accept it. I know it's a geographic term. I said that
myself ages ago. But we still don't want it, and we consider it's use
offensive. So no, it's not as simple as you think it is.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 13, 12:30 am, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 10:52:35 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

I wasn't aware of that, and if I'm wrong I do apologise. But two
points come to mind:

(1) This is what wikipedia has to say on the matter:

Can we have YOUR knowledge please, not just what you've dredged up on
the notoriously unreliable Wikipedia?

As I explained in my post, I don't have any knowledge on the matter of
the status of the Isle of Man. I was *asking* for information. Also, I
didn't stand over what I posted from Wikipedia, and in fact said I
didn't know what the quote meant. You are surreal.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 6:04 pm, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 05:21:20 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Well, you learn something new every day, don't you? The reason it's
not widely objected to in Ireland is that we hardly ever come across
it in Ireland. When we hear 'British Isles', we assume it to mean the
UK (Isle of Mann etc), and the nearby islands that belong to the UK.
In fact, that's how the British government defines the term 'British
Islands'.

I've never heard the term "British Islands" beford today. Did you
just make it up?

Check for yourself in the Interpretation Act, 1978.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 7:23 pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 11:17:14 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

On Apr 12, 2:21 pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 06:17:36 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

British islands - adjective and noun; islands that are British. That
includes all of Great Britain, many small islands and part of the
island of Ireland.

British Isles - geographic name of an archipelago off the coast of
Europe, comprising Great Britain, Ireland and many small islands.

Try and understand the difference.

Try to understand the similarity, more like. Try also to understand
that if most people in a country don't want to have their country
labeled one of the 'British Isles', don't do it.

I am not labelling a country. I am labelling an island, which in case
it had escaped your attention has two countries on it - one of which
is very happy to accept the label.

No, it didn't escape my attention. I live here. It's recent history
seems to have spectacularly escaped your attention though - anyone who
thinks it an accurate description of reality to say that the people of
Northern Ireland are 'very happy' to be in the British Isles is some
clown indeed. About sixty percent of them are, but the other forty
percent sure aren't. They couldn't agree on the colour of the sky, so
'very happy' hardly ever enters into any discussion up there.

But get back to the fact that the vast majority of people in Ireland
(the country, which is what I have been talking about all along) don't
accept this term 'British Isles', and you're still the guy trying to
foist a geographic term on people who don't want it. Think up a new
name of these islands.

********. They have a perfectly good name that has stood since long
before you arrived from north Africa, Scotland or Norway.

You think it's a perfectly good name. On the other hand, this is what
Dermot Ahern, the Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs had on the matter
in 2006: "The British Isles is not an officially recognised term in
any legal or inter-governmental sense. It is without any official
status. The Government, including the Department of Foreign Affairs,
does not use this term. Our officials in the Embassy of Ireland,
London, continue to monitor the media in Britain for any abuse of the
official terms as set out in the Constitution of Ireland and in
legislation." He's a member of the Government that represents the
people of Ireland.

Your politics has clouded your reason.

Politics and reason aren't mututally exclusive.

They are in Ireland - have been for a hundred years.

My politics is that
I'm an Irish person. And like most Irish people, I'm of the view that
the term 'British Isles' should not be used to include the country I
live in. For that reason, I think people who use the term in that way
should cease.

Sorry old chap - that simply isn't your choice, you'll just have to
keep wishing. But saying a thing is so doesn't make it so, I'm afraid.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

[...]

It's the choice of the Irish people, not the British people.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 9:22 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Cavellowrote:
Eeyore wrote:

So what group of island is Nothern Ireland part of ?

I couldn't care less. That's not part of my country.

It's the same island !

So what? You asked me what group of islands Northern Ireland is part
of. I said I couldn't care less cos it's not part of my country.
Telling me it's the same island doesn't affect whether I care or not.
Let the British call Northern Ireland whatever they like, I live in
the Republic.

It is legally part of the 'British Islands' so if you want to also include it
in the
British Isles, go ahead. Just don't include Ireland.

Both countries are in Ireland. You're referring to the Republic, a purely
political distinction.

I've never come across an island whose definition changed when crossing a border
before !

Well, you learn something new every day. They're two different
countries. Each side can call their own territory whatever they wish.
It's the British who have chosen to include Northern Ireland under the
term 'British Islands'. Take it up with them.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 9:25 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Cavellowrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Cavellowrote:
That's not what I'm saying either. I don't care if the group of
islands has a name or not. I'm simply pointing out that the British
Isles doesn't include Ireland. The term does exist, but it doesn't
include Ireland.

LOL !

I believe this is what's often called 'having a paddy' !

I'm not familiar with the expression. But I detect a racial slur
coming on.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...ages/1245.html

Graham

A racist expression as I thought. **** you too.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 7:41 pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 11:36:07 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

On Apr 12, 4:14 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Cavellowrote:
I'm merely pointing out to you that *calling*
this group of islands "the British Isles" is objectionable to most
Irish people. It's also a term not used by the Irish government.

So what do they call it ?

They don't call it anything, instead referring to 'Ireland and
Britain', or else they use the term 'These islands' or 'the Isles' or
'IONA (Islands of the North Atlantic)', but none of these terms has
really taken hold yet. These are some of the terms mostly used in
joint statements by the British and Irish governments any time they
meet to discuss Northern Ireland. The British Government tends to
steer well clear of using the term, at least when Northern Ireland is
the topic of discussion.

Iona? Perfect. That is already a British island, just off the larger
island of Mull.

I know. I didn't say Iona, I said 'IONA (Islands of the North
Atlantic)'. It's rather like the UN. When you hear UN, you don't think
of the town in India called Un.

And of course there are plenty of other Islands of the North Atlantic.
I am from the Faroe Islands, which I believe would have a far better
claim on the term as they are surrounded by the North Atlantic -
unlike the British Isles.

Then IONA doesn't sound like it's a good enough term either.

The British Governments legal definition of the 'British Islands' doesn't
include Ireland.

Yes it does unless Northern Irelanders get a different passport to a standard UK
one.

I'm referring to Ireland the country, not Ireland the island. The term
'British Islands' does include Northern Ireland. Northern Irelanders
get the same UK passport as anyone else in Britain so far as I know,
but of course they're also entitled to an Irish passport.

So what's the problem? It seems that you have everything you could
possibly want.

??

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 13 Apr 2007 05:08:33 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Listen, I don't like having to repeat myself, but just because a term
is a geographic term rather than a political one doesn't mean Irish
people have to accept it. I know it's a geographic term. I said that
myself ages ago. But we still don't want it, and we consider it's use
offensive. So no, it's not as simple as you think it is.

It rarely is when dealing with the Irish :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 13 Apr 2007 05:15:07 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

I've never heard the term "British Islands" beford today. Did you
just make it up?

Check for yourself in the Interpretation Act, 1978.

OK,I believe you. Is the term much used in Ireland? Does it feel
better than "British Isles"?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 13 Apr 2007 05:21:54 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Sorry old chap - that simply isn't your choice, you'll just have to
keep wishing. But saying a thing is so doesn't make it so, I'm afraid.

It's the choice of the Irish people, not the British people.

Dream on :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Eiron wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

Hmm, I'm Irish and I live in Ireland.

Do make up your mind. Not so long ago you were ashamed to be Australian.

--
Eiron.

There you go with you blimp-blimp turret-slit view of the world and
your total lack of imagination, demanding that everyone fits your into
your dumb definitions of fish or fowl, and insisting that it be your
fish or fowl. You're not too bright, are you Eiron?

Ever hear of dual citizenship? Ever hear of people who belong
genetically to a nation? Ever hear anything at all? (What are you
doing on an audio group?)

Now, besides the standard dumb soundbite personal attack that we have
come to expect from idiots like you, how about answering the rest of
my points:

Hmm, I'm Irish and I live in Ireland. I have also lived in Britain
and
have much cause to be grateful to the British, who offered me a place
to stay when I was a political exile, and education and wealth and
much besides. I do actually know the meanings of all these
descriptions of the islands, geographic and political. But I don't
care enough to explain to anyone.

What I do care about is the appalling manners exhibited by Pearce and
Payne and the rest of the Britscum in forcing, in what must now be a
hundred messages, down the throat of the unwilling Cavello the notion
that they, the British, are the master race. The British are
surprisingly well regarded by the minority of thoughtful people
around
the world, but it is triumphalist trash like you who make the
majority
of the world hate the British as a class of much poorer ugly
Americans.

What have you ever done, yourself, to earn the right to such a
patronizing attitude?

The number of those messages and their repetive, mindless, dull,
thugging insistence is a form of bullying. The number of those
messages also demonstrates that the British are exceedingly sensitive
indeed about their lost Empire. It's jumped-up, overage school
bullies
like you who caused it to be lost. The public problem with your type
of Brit is that you are the most graceless losers in the world; it is
just as well your government (of either persausion) doesn't pay any
attention to your Gibraltarian chattering.

Andre Jute
Zero tolerance for overripe school bullies

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Andre Jute wrote:

Hmm, I'm Irish and I live in Ireland.

Do make up your mind. Not so long ago you were ashamed to be Australian.

In his Walter Mitty world he is whatever he decides to be today. On
Monday he will be an astronaut, maybe.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Waddle, waddle, you moral and mental midget. Where's your answer to my
original post in which I nailed you by name for your foul manners and
your unfounded pretentions?

****
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:14:18 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:59:56 +0100, Laurence Payne
lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On 13 Apr 2007 05:15:07 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

I've never heard the term "British Islands" beford today. Did you
just make it up?

Check for yourself in the Interpretation Act, 1978.

OK,I believe you. Is the term much used in Ireland? Does it feel
better than "British Isles"?

It doesn't mean the same thing. "British Islands" means the United
Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

While the disputed meaning of "British Isles" supposedly includes The
Republic of Ireland, which is independent and the reason for the
objection.

The term British Isles does NOT describe any countries - including the
Irish Republic. It delineates a geologically related group of rocks -
some larger, some smaller - sticking out of the Atlantic close to
Europe.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eiron Eiron is offline

Andre Jute wrote:

Eiron wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

Hmm, I'm Irish and I live in Ireland.

Do make up your mind. Not so long ago you were ashamed to be Australian.

--
Eiron.

There you go with you blimp-blimp turret-slit view of the world and
your total lack of imagination, demanding that everyone fits your into
your dumb definitions of fish or fowl, and insisting that it be your
fish or fowl. You're not too bright, are you Eiron?

Ever hear of dual citizenship? Ever hear of people who belong
genetically to a nation? Ever hear anything at all? (What are you
doing on an audio group?)

Now, besides the standard dumb soundbite personal attack that we have
come to expect from idiots like you, how about answering the rest of
my points:

It sometimes amuses me to point out your lies and it always amuses me to
read your blustering when you unsuccessfully try to defend them.
I don't need to justify my membership of uk.rec.audio, though perhaps
you do, now that you have insulted the British.

It never occurred to me that an Irishman might be offended by the fact
that Eire is part of an island in the British Isles. I blame the Romans
for first lumping them together under one name. I wonder if Mexicans are
offended by 'Central America', 'Gulf of California', 'Baja California'
or 'The Americas'?

--
Eiron.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

flipper wrote:

While the disputed meaning of "British Isles" supposedly includes The
Republic of Ireland, which is independent and the reason for the
objection.

It includes the Republic only by dint of its location. To be honest if the Irish
want to invent some new term to describe their geographic status I have no
problem with that.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Apr 13, 12:29 pm, Eiron wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
Eiron wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Eiron.- Hide quoted text -

Jute-McCoy is Irish only by distant extraction for which Ireland and
the British Isles are diminished by its presence. It is an insult in
general, not confined to any nationality.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:02:44 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:05:32 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

flipper wrote:

While the disputed meaning of "British Isles" supposedly includes The
Republic of Ireland, which is independent and the reason for the
objection.

It includes the Republic only by dint of its location.

The apparent 'problem' isn't the location, it's being labeled
'British'.

To be honest if the Irish
want to invent some new term to describe their geographic status I have no
problem with that.

Would seem to be a rather painless solution.

Graham

So what it boils down to is that he is a racist **** who is happy
enough to join our party, drink our beer and eat our nibbles but wants
to stand up in the middle of it and call us names - same goes for the
Jute excrescence. If they could both just unsubscribe from uk.r.a we
would all be much better off. I've already kicked them both out of my
personal party by way of my killfile.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 04:18:49 -0500, flipper wrote:

wrote:

flipper wrote:

[...]

I don't know what transpired in the past but whether he's obnoxious or
not is irrelevant to the merits of the argument.

Quite the contrary. It is at the heart of this argument, and the cause
of it. His motivation is entirely that he hates Britain and the
British - and he has barged in here to tell us so. Well, I for one
will not countenance such bad manners, and so I called him on it.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Apr 12, 1:23 pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 11:17:52 -0700, "Peter Wieck" wrote:

Fly poop to the right, pepper to the left.

Anyone got a clue?

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Cavello & Eeyore et.al. arguing over the "British Isles"... separating
fly-poop from pepper....

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 14 Apr 2007 02:58:16 -0700, "Peter Wieck" wrote:

On Apr 12, 1:23 pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 11:17:52 -0700, "Peter Wieck" wrote:

Fly poop to the right, pepper to the left.

Anyone got a clue?

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Cavello & Eeyore et.al. arguing over the "British Isles"... separating
fly-poop from pepper....

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Well, I guess that in Wyncote, PA, stuff that happens in the next
county appears on TV in the foreign news section. I mean what do you
have? A couple of baseball diamonds and a football field (I don't
count the stuff beyond Church Road or N. Easton as Wyncote)

;-)

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

flipper wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
flipper wrote:

While the disputed meaning of "British Isles" supposedly includes The
Republic of Ireland, which is independent and the reason for the
objection.

It includes the Republic only by dint of its location.

The apparent 'problem' isn't the location, it's being labeled
'British'.

On account of being so close to Britain !

To be honest if the Irish
want to invent some new term to describe their geographic status I have no
problem with that.

Would seem to be a rather painless solution.

Anyway we never complained about them having the Irish Sea !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On Apr 14, 5:13 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 14 Apr 2007 02:58:16 -0700, "Peter Wieck" wrote:

On Apr 12, 1:23 pm, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 11:17:52 -0700, "Peter Wieck" wrote:

Fly poop to the right, pepper to the left.

Anyone got a clue?

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Cavello & Eeyore et.al. arguing over the "British Isles"... separating
fly-poop from pepper....

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Well, I guess that in Wyncote, PA, stuff that happens in the next
county appears on TV in the foreign news section. I mean what do you
have? A couple of baseball diamonds and a football field (I don't
count the stuff beyond Church Road or N. Easton as Wyncote)

;-)

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com- Hide quoted text -

Within old Wyncote? Not even that. Our house is amongst the newest in
the immediate area having been built in 1896. There is quite a bit of
preserved open land, but none of it sports-fields. Ezra Pound lived a
while down the next block a bit, and Breyer of Ice Cream fame across
the creek.

But we are part of Cheltenham Township that is 40,000 strong and quite
in tune with the world.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eiron Eiron is offline

flipper wrote:

Hispanola is 'close' to Cuba too but it ain't a 'Cuban Isle', Cuba
being 'the big island' notwithstanding. (so much for 'convention')

Good example. Now check out Micronesia.

--
Eiron.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eiron Eiron is offline

flipper wrote:

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:11:08 +0100, Eiron wrote:

flipper wrote:

Hispanola is 'close' to Cuba too but it ain't a 'Cuban Isle', Cuba
being 'the big island' notwithstanding. (so much for 'convention')

Good example. Now check out Micronesia.

What am I to check it for?

Analogies. What else?

The best solution to the "British Isles" question would seem to be
the repeal of the various acts of union so Cavello and Jute can get
back to hating the English rather than mistakenly including the
Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish, and stop complaining about a perfectly
good name, which has been in use for over two thousand years, for a
group of islands.

--
Eiron.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

flipper wrote:

Hispanola is 'close' to Cuba too but it ain't a 'Cuban Isle', Cuba
being 'the big island' notwithstanding. (so much for 'convention')

Good example. Now check out Micronesia.

What am I to check it for?

Analogies. What else?

The best solution to the "British Isles" question would seem to be
the repeal of the various acts of union so Cavello and Jute can get
back to hating the English rather than mistakenly including the
Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish, and stop complaining about a perfectly
good name, which has been in use for over two thousand years, for a
group of islands.

An even better one would be for them to each get a life, and stop
hating. I'm currently working with a couple of dozen people from Eire,
all of whom are well educated and highly motivated. Not one of them
has the social problems exhibited by Cavello and Jute. Over the last
few days I have asked some of them the name they used for the island
group we inhabit. Every one of them said it was the British Isles.

Mind you they are big city folk, mostly from Dublin, and not country
dwellers. I wonder if it is simply a redneck problem after all?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

''pimp my ride'' bob wald Car Audio 5 October 13th 06 08:49 AM
Un-Pimp your ride WVK Audio Opinions 0 May 19th 06 11:33 PM
check out my ride No-one Car Audio 6 November 1st 05 02:57 AM
ya gotta have this in your ride..... billybeer Car Audio 1 December 4th 04 04:12 AM
MTV's Pimp my ride Brandon Buckner Car Audio 6 May 8th 04 04:05 AM