sd

Default British Ram Mixer on Ebay...My Bloody Valentine Mixer?

I remember reading back in the early 90's that MBV used a Ram Mixer to
record and mix their first cd...has anyone heard one of these in
person?...I'm looking for a drum submixer and it looks like it will
fit the bill nicely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Pooh Bear

sd wrote:

I remember reading back in the early 90's that MBV used a Ram Mixer to
record and mix their first cd...has anyone heard one of these in
person?...I'm looking for a drum submixer and it looks like it will
fit the bill nicely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Surely rather large for a drum submixer ?

Despite being British and involved in pro-audio for decades I have never seen or heard of this
before. It looks like a cheap job to me.

The following statement on ebay is also utter rubbish. "The Micro is built around TL072 OpAmps kust
like the old Neves!" Neve predominantly used 5532s.

Graham

Preben Friis

"sd" wrote in message
om...
I remember reading back in the early 90's that MBV used a Ram Mixer to
record and mix their first cd...has anyone heard one of these in
person?...I'm looking for a drum submixer and it looks like it will
fit the bill nicely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I got one just like that one. We replaced it with a Behringer rack mixer,
which was considered a step up....!

More about it here.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...s.cybercity.dk

I still haven't fixed it...

/Preben Friis

gasket

"Preben Friis" wrote in message ...
"sd" wrote in message
om...
I remember reading back in the early 90's that MBV used a Ram Mixer to
record and mix their first cd...has anyone heard one of these in
person?...I'm looking for a drum submixer and it looks like it will
fit the bill nicely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I got one just like that one. We replaced it with a Behringer rack mixer,
which was considered a step up....!

More about it here.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...s.cybercity.dk

I still haven't fixed it...

/Preben Friis

I used one of those 5 or 6 years ago and was pleasantly surprised on
on how good it sounded!...so I'm surprised to see Preben's comments
(especially since the post he pasted contradicts his statement, which
makes it sound like a nice, transparent mixer, which is what I found
it to be).
I was using a mackie 24/8 at the time and loved the fact that I could
eq and not hate the results. I didn't record with it, so I can't
comment on the pre's, but the routing and eq's smoked the Mackie.
Similar to the Allen & Heath CNC series or the Soundcraft Delta.
To compare it to a Neve, as the seller does, is a HUGE exaggeration,
but it's definitely leaps and bounds ahead of a Behringer.
I can't comment on the MBV history, but it wasn't used on "Loveless",
considering they almost bankrupted the label by staying in the studio
and doing endless remixes, which I'm pretty sure, was not a RAM mixer.
Just my 2 cents.....
Preben Friis

"gasket" wrote in message
om...
I used one of those 5 or 6 years ago and was pleasantly surprised on
on how good it sounded!...so I'm surprised to see Preben's comments
(especially since the post he pasted contradicts his statement, which
makes it sound like a nice, transparent mixer, which is what I found
it to be).
I was using a mackie 24/8 at the time and loved the fact that I could
eq and not hate the results. I didn't record with it, so I can't
comment on the pre's, but the routing and eq's smoked the Mackie.
Similar to the Allen & Heath CNC series or the Soundcraft Delta.
To compare it to a Neve, as the seller does, is a HUGE exaggeration,
but it's definitely leaps and bounds ahead of a Behringer.

It's been ..uhm... around 8-9 years since I last heard it ... and I know my
preferences and experience has improved a lot since then I might appreciate
the sound of it now.

The original post was about the build quality and topology which I still
like ... and it was targeted to a guy who seriously considered buying an
Alesis 1622, an Inkel, a LEM, a Solton .... From all of those it is a step
up....

One thing about the build quality that I forgot is, that the bottom is
molded plastic, so the circuits are completely unshielded and prone to hum.
Mine also has some serious ground loop issues (partly due to the metal
flightcase it is built into).

The MX2642, that was bought instead, had more inputs, four band EQ, four
sends and could be permanently connected to all outboard stuff in a rack.
Try making live sound with one sweep pr. channel, one monitor send and one
FX send ... then get back to me and tell me that you still prefer this one
over the Behringer...

Too bad that most ebay suc^K^K^K buyers are far away from here.... I could
use the $280+ ... ;c)

Maybe one day I will fix the power supply, upgrade the preamps and add a
decent ground ... then it would maybe be usable for something. I allready
replaced the RCA tape returns with matching phone sockets....

Just my 2 cents.....

Together with my 2 eurocents..

/Preben Friis